Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.6 pinto engine wiring
Harryj1

posted on 27/2/19 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
1.6 pinto engine wiring

Hi im wiring a 1.6 pinto engine from scratch as im building a project car. It didnt come with any loom which is why ill have to wire it from engine to lights etc.
I need help with the engine side of things for e.g. connecting the universal switch to the starter motor, coil and distributor.
Where will i need to put in relays and fuses .

Angel Acevedo

posted on 27/2/19 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harryj1
Hi im wiring a 1.6 pinto engine from scratch as im building a project car. It didnt come with any loom which is why ill have to wire it from engine to lights etc.
I need help with the engine side of things for e.g. connecting the universal switch to the starter motor, coil and distributor.
Where will i need to put in relays and fuses .

Welcome to the party...
I am halfway through wiring, I am mating a Fuel Injected Ford V8 to a Matiz column and switchgear with a generic pre-made harness.

There are several threads explaining specific requirements and wishes.

Try to get Electric schematics of car and switchgear to aid in "translation"

And regarding relays, easiest would be to use donor fusebox and relay box, or you can be as fancy as you want or as low tech as you are willing to put up.

I haven´t tried to post pictures lately here, but I´m in Facebook as Angel Acevedo and you can see what I did with relays on my "Locost" album.

Hope this helps.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 27/2/19 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
If I was doing it again I would probably buy the CBS fuse and relay modial

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/2/19 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
The relays and fuses should be located in the passenger compartment to keep them dry and clean. A good place is above the footwell.

The pinto was often fitted with a ballast resister for the ignition so that during starting this resister was bypassed and full current fed to the distributor and once the starter was disengaged current at a reduced voltage flowed to the distributor. If you leave this out and have the wrong coil & capacitor fitted the breaker points will burn out very quickly. One way round this is of course to fit optical or magnetic electronic ignition which I'd recommend anyway, it makes a huge improvement.

Between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid I'd put a 30amp relay to keep high currents away from the switch as it will last longer.

Basic diagram would be, but they have left out the relay above -

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/2/19 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
When building my 2.0 Pinto engined MK Indy I fitted all the fuses and relays under the scuttle, behind the dashboard. That way they're kept away from engine heat and weather (rain). I used a black marker pen to write next to each one what it was for to help me if I needed to check, test or replace any of them after the build process.

[img][/img]

johnhsmith

posted on 27/2/19 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Premier Wiring do a good Sierra loom for not much money, all fuses etc, good instructions and help available.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/2/19 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
All I would say if doing your own loom is build some slack in it as it's all to easy to make it that little bit too tight and a bother to fit. I think soft cloth is really the best cover rather than tape as it lets it flex.
James

posted on 28/2/19 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnhsmith
Premier Wiring do a good Sierra loom for not much money, all fuses etc, good instructions and help available.

This ^^^^

Dont know price now, mine was £120 when I bought it in about 2003.

You will consider this the best £120 you've ever spent!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 28/2/19 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Should add I used a Vicky Green wiring loom that was designed for a 7 type car with a Pinto engine.

Not expensive and money very well spent IMHO as it fitted the chassis perfectly and came with a large easy to follow instruction drawing.

If building another car I'd be very very inclined to buy a ready made wiring loom for the car to speed up and simplify the the wiring process.

jps

posted on 28/2/19 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pdf of the Sierra wiring diagrams if it's any use to you - PM me your email address if you want me to forward it on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.