Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse trike project.
dan8400

posted on 30/4/21 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse trike project.

Hi everyone,

I have been working away at a reverse trike project for around 3 years on and off now.

I never thought of doing a build diary or anything but I have been taking pictures as I’ve gone along.

I will leave a link to my Flickr below so you can see my progress and I’ll add some pictures below too.

It started as a chassis I got from eBay for £50. I was going to make a 4 wheeler but I saw some other reverse trikes on YouTube etc and thought they looked fun. It is also easier to build as the whole rear end is done. Engine, gearbox, suspension etc.

I have modified the chassis as I’ve gone along. I’ve used locost bottom wishbones, Sierra uprights and mushroom tops, punto rack and column and fiat 500 headrest (because it’s round). Motorbike donor was a 2000 ZX9R.

I have been teaching myself sheet metal work, you’ll have to judge for yourself at the quality and styling but I welcome constructive criticism. It was easier for me to work with metal for now than fibreglass. If I like what I create I can always take a mould.

I’ll put some pictures below. Please ask any questions and please visit the Flickr link for more.

Overall weight so far is 320kg (not much to add).

Flickr link: https://flic.kr/p/2kVGEWg

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 30/4/21 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 30/4/21 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Test to see if it works...

Trike[/ url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152677313@N05/]daniel payne, on Flickr

[Edited on 30/4/21 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 30/4/21 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Trike[/ url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152677313@N05/]daniel payne, on Flickr

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 30/4/21 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote

Hey - That's Journey!!!

myke pocock

posted on 30/4/21 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very neat, well done, nice project. If you like working in metal then why not. Probably stronger at the front end than fibreglass anyway and who cares if it is a little heavier.
dan8400

posted on 30/4/21 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks myke.

I thought the same about the steel. I was concerned about how much weight I was adding. However, our forklift has a weigher device so I am able to keep an eye on the weight anytime.

I am still learning with the sheet metal but I’m hoping to get this project done and on the road and under my belt so that the next one can be a little better.

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Edwardo

posted on 30/4/21 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looking great Dan - that's really coming together.

I'd love to know how these trikes handle on the road - I bet it's tail out action all the way!

Cheers
Tony

dan8400

posted on 1/5/21 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Tony.

I’m curious to know too. It boils down to one video that really gave me the inspiration to start looking into reverse trikes and take the plunge, sell my Tiger Supercat and fund this project. Funnily enough I spent most of the budget in the first two weeks otherwise the domestic government would have spent it...

Link to Canadian trike

I ended up going a different direction with the body etc as I do not (yet) have the tools or experience to make a chassis like his. Neat thing though

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 18/9/21 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have been making steady progress with the body on my Reverse Trike.

I am concentrating on tidying up all the panels and getting ready for filler, primer and paint. The grey primer is just cheap stuff blown over when I finish for the night as I got fed up with constantly removing surface rust before I could do anything…

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 18/9/21 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
A few more…

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 18/9/21 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

JC

posted on 19/9/21 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Wow - I really like that! Looking forward to seeing it on roads near me...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 19/9/21 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks JC

Getting tools and materials together for filler and painting. So hopefully no too long now.

Where abouts are you in Lincolnshire? I’m in Midville between Boston and Spilsby.

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 9/4/23 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi everyone

Well, its been a while. So I thought I'd post the most recent photos I have.

Progress has been almost non-existent this year so far. I am, however, at the stage now where I'm applying body filler. I have all of the paints and consumables ready for giving it a blow-over.

One of the solutions that presented itself was the tail lights. I really struggled to decide how and where to fit them. They also needed to be legal. In the end, a friend popped over one night to have a look and suggested burying them into the wing. Needs some fettling to be perfect but its a neat solution.

The seat is a first attempt at upholstery for me, but I'm quite pleased with it. I formed the aluminium for the base, then riveted it to the side panels. I then added some foam and stretched and glued the vinyl on. It may be good enough for now, even to get it tested and on the road before I fiddle with it again.

The wiring is functional, just needs tidying in places. Brakes are in. I've driven it on an abandoned airfield and she goes well. If I can make a half-decent job of the paint, I'll soon be ready to book an MSVA.

Any comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Untitle d by daniel payne, on Flickr

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/23 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly looks very well made and I think you have nailed the styling. Good job
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 9/4/23 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mrwhippy

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Schrodinger

posted on 10/4/23 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
That looks really well styled.
I'm not up with the MSVA regs. do you need to have a mount for the rear number plate as for IVA and is it ok to have the rear lights that far forward.
I'm just asking as it would be awful to fail the test on small things like that. Great project all the same.

Keith
Aviemore

dan8400

posted on 10/4/23 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith.

Kind of you to say about the styling. I had a rough idea of what I wanted, but, basically did it on the fly. I did at least do both sides at the same time to get some consistency. The side pods were bent/cut/welded out of 19mm tube to get a frame, then cladded in sheet steel. It was the easiest way for me to do it. I may try fibreglass in the future.

The tail lights can be anywhere in the rear half of the vehicle. As long as you meet the minimum height and maximum width away from the outside edge. Also, regs say it’s ok to have the red reflectors on the back of the front cycle wings, so that’s where they are. Some of the rules make sense, some are odd…

There is a number plate bracket in between the wing stays. It is an aluminium motorcycle style bracket (cheap Chinese thing from eBay with included light). Planning on fitting a square numberplate as it’ll fit the gap better.

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.