Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T89 Designs - Project SSL Build Diary
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/1/16 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not a lot of physical progress of late but some good design work (140+ drawings now completed).

More importantly though I have received my certificate of Design Right from the Intellectual Property Office which means my work is now protected out in the wide world from people who might use the plans to make money for themselves.

Although its only a certificate it feels like a big milestone

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 22/1/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've cleaned up the OT discussion from this thread and moved it here.

Any off topic or trolling posts in this thread from now on will be deleted. If you wish to carry on the discussion over suspension rocker bearings please do so in the thread linked above.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/1/16 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris.

I have had a few people ask when plans are likely to be available for Purchase, the current aim is end of February. I have a couple of chassis bits to draw and a few body panels and that's it. Once done its a case of checking, locking things down and then making up nice folders full of drawings and info ready to send out.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sam_68

posted on 22/1/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
More importantly though I have received my certificate of Design Right from the Intellectual Property Office which means my work is now protected out in the wide world from people who might use the plans to make money for themselves.

Did you find this a fairly pain-free experience?

I must admit, I've previously relied on the protection of the 'automatic' design right you get under law, for non-patentable designs, but of course it's much more difficult to enforce. For the sake of a few quid (£60, isn't it?), it sounds as though it might be worth pursuing?

Did you identify/annotate specific, unusual features, or is it 'just' the overall look-and-feel that's protected?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 2/2/16 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just been having a bash at the secondary part of the project, the transportation method.

My aim is to eliminate the need for a trailer and also give myself reason to buy a pick-up, but it needed to be big enough to carry a race car which means getting something from 'murica (which also means a V8 engine...). Late last year I found a 1995 Chevy K1500 with the extra long 2.55m bed and a 6.5 Turbo Diesel V8:

Description
Description

Which according to my plan should carry the car like this:

Description
Description

Still plenty of work to do on the truck conversion (managed to get a winch of CHNSS1 today which has helped) but cant wait to take it racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Sam_68

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My aim is to eliminate the need for a trailer and also give myself reason to buy a pick-up

This is man-maths at its finest.

I salute you, Sir!

[Edited on 2/2/16 by Sam_68]

daniel mason

posted on 2/2/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is the race car not supposed to be faster than the tow car Callan?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 2/2/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
It may be 6.5 litres of Detroit muscle Dan but it most certainly isn't fast!

The engine is soooooo lazy and the auto-box isn't in a hurry either. It is though a really nice cruiser, surprisingly comfy ride and the cab is a nice place to be. At 70mph its like being in a big smooth car.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

CNHSS1

posted on 2/2/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Love the polar opposites of racer and pickup! Small light and technically able and yhen a bloody Yank Tank! Priceless

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/2/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Completion and Pricing.

Just a quick update on the progress on the plans for those who are interested in buying.

I have just a couple of bodywork drawings to finish now. Then its a case of Checking and PDF'ing everything ready to sell. I've even managed to write out some build notes.

Hopefully I can get a printer sorted within a couple of weeks with the aim of being able to send out packs by mid-March at the very latest ready for the nice spring weather and new projects time.

Each pack will be in its own A3 folder as its going to be over 200 pages in total! I always wanted to make it a "complete" set of plans and might have succeeded.

I would like to get a little bit of feedback on pricing as this is something that I have been struggling with. Opinion has been swinging between cheap and plentiful ( A La' Locost Book) or priced to reflect the detail aimed at genuine builders (more like Kit Aeroplane plans).

My current thoughts are somewhere in between and with modular options:

Basic Pack (Fabrication Drawings only + Parts list): £100+VAT

Full Pack (All Drawings + Build Guide + Parts List + Calculations): £150+VAT

Build Aids (Jig plate drawings/Tube Wraps/Etc): £25+VAT

Aero Upgrade Pack (I'm talkinng to an aerodynamicist about doing this): £25+VAT

Constructive thoughts welcome.

Just wish I had some time to get some work done on the actual car!

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Sam_68

posted on 24/2/16 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...Then its a case of Checking and PDF'ing everything ready to sell. I've even managed to write out some build notes.

Hopefully I can get a printer sorted within a couple of weeks with the aim of being able to send out packs by mid-March...

Are you intending to supply as PDF electronic copies, or paper copies, or both?

Obviously there are potential copying issues with both, but PDF would make life a whole lot easier for you? Is it possible to protect PDF's with individual passwords or electronic 'fingerprints', so that if one did get released into the public domain, you'd know who to go after?

What are the 'calculations' you list? I must admit I'd be nervous about giving away that sort of underlying design knowledge free of charge, but then you know know cautious I am about IP in general!

Its a shame you won't have a finished, proven car before going on sale with plans - I can imagine that it would reassure a lot of people both in terms of the car's performance, and that solutions had been worked out for any issues, before they part with their money?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/2/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
...Then its a case of Checking and PDF'ing everything ready to sell. I've even managed to write out some build notes.

Hopefully I can get a printer sorted within a couple of weeks with the aim of being able to send out packs by mid-March...

Are you intending to supply as PDF electronic copies, or paper copies, or both?

Obviously there are potential copying issues with both, but PDF would make life a whole lot easier for you? Is it possible to protect PDF's with individual passwords or electronic 'fingerprints', so that if one did get released into the public domain, you'd know who to go after?

What are the 'calculations' you list? I must admit I'd be nervous about giving away that sort of underlying design knowledge free of charge, but then you know know cautious I am about IP in general!

Its a shame you won't have a finished, proven car before going on sale with plans - I can imagine that it would reassure a lot of people both in terms of the car's performance, and that solutions had been worked out for any issues, before they part with their money?

Everything will be detailed fully when I do a "Plans for sale Advert" properly but to answer your points (I have been thinking about this for months).

Only paper copies will be supplied with an individual water mark. All bound up in a nice folder. The PDF's are for archiving and to print from. I will offer a page replacement service as well to customers so if welding/spillage/fingerprints ruin a page I'll send new ones out at cost price (IE the price of a stamp)

The calculations will be things like weights, costs and sizes. I am also going to include the suspension movement and spring rate calculations so that people can easily tune the car.

The actual car will follow shortly after completion of the plans (~2 months) as completing the plans will free up the time to work on the car. So I suspect only a few people will purchase plans before that. I don't forsee any significant changes now as the fabrications are nearly complete for the Dev' car and nearly everything else is purchased.

Any changes to the plans based on the build of the car will be issued free-of charge to anyone who has already purchased the plans. So no-one should be disadvantaged.

I plan on this being a long term project with a Phase 2.0 update coming at a later date and some concept work has already begun on that.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

tilly819

posted on 25/2/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/2/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Jedi Wings

Cheers Tilly, hows Uni going?

Just thought I would load up probably the 'final' CAD pictures with everything now completed. I have also modelled up a set of Jedi Wings (that I have bought for it from Dan) to give an idea of what the final car should look like. I have been using a set of F3/FR2.0 wings in CAD which are a bit oversized.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Hopefully I will get a chance to do a full CAD render using a package I have picked up but work should be concentrating on building the car and finishing the last drawings now.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 3/3/16 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Currently trying to decide what colour to have the chassis powder coated. Thinking I might go for Black/Carbon panels over electric blue to keep the corporate colour scheme but highlight the chassis more:

Description
Description

I tried Black/Carbon over a Red chassis but it looks like a McLaren-Honda...

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 21/3/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
A good few new build pictures, all chassis bracketry is now complete with all of the bolt on bits trial fitted. Lots of work went into checking that all of the controls worked correctly. The chassis is going for final weld tonight and then off for Powder Coating next Monday:

Cockpit:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Drivers View:
Description
Description

Front End
Description
Description

Description
Description

Gear Actuation:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Finally having a large Chevy Truck is paying off, chassis went straight in the back with the tailgate able to shut. No messing:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Took the chassis to be weighed today as well, very pleased as the weight in CAD was 55Kg and the weight on the scales was 56Kg so taking into account the weight of the weld its pretty much exactly as predicted. It looks tiny in real life out of th workshop:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Rosco86

posted on 21/3/16 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, will be running soon then!

My Build Thread

rdodger

posted on 22/3/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Loving this!

Will you be selling the chassis, wishbones etc or just the plans?

Sam_68

posted on 22/3/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Took the chassis to be weighed today as well, very pleased as the weight in CAD was 55Kg and the weight on the scales was 56Kg so taking into account the weight of the weld its pretty much exactly as predicted.

Any idea what the torsional stiffness that you're getting from that weight is, either on FEA or in reality (have you/do you intend to test)?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/3/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Loving this!

Will you be selling the chassis, wishbones etc or just the plans?

I'll probably offer them to order. A couple of potential customers have asked if I could supply a chassis and the answer of course is "yes" but I would have them made on a per order basis rather than holding stock.

Likely cost would be similar to that of "kit car" chassis plus an "MSA cage" that you usually pay extra for. Of course you get the MSA ROPS built into this car.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/3/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Plans are now finished and for sale:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=203232

20% Discount for the bank holiday launch.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/4/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Have got most of the fabricated parts back now, Engine Hanger, Diff Hanger, Gear Lever, Steering Column and Upper wishbones. Just waiting on the pushrods and upper wishbones now:

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/4/16 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Final Chassis Preparation

I completed the final chassis preparation this weekend and dropped it off this morning for Powder coating.

One of the neat features (well I think so anyway) is that the suspension pickups are all on two flat planes, which means that they can be drilled after the chassis welding is complete and there is line of site to cross measure between all of the suspension mounting points. Ensuring that the suspensions is aligned side to side and front to back.
This means that any distortion from welding or inaccuracy in the chassis does not affect the suspension geometry (as long as its not completely off).

Cross measuring the front before drilling:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Measuring the suspension pick-up for the rear end before drilling:
Description
Description

Description
Description

I also picked up a set of Formula Jedi wings this weekend, thanks to Dan Mason for doing these at a really good price.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 4/4/16 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis looked really nice Callan!
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Some Lovely Renderings

Cheers Dan, appreciated.

A colleague of mine has generously done some renderings from the CAD model, I may be biased but I have to say that its turned out to be quite a pretty little car especially as it is all driven by function. I really like the 90's Tyrrell-esque colour scheme as well.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I particularly like this 'moody' shot, I'm really glad that the chassis is being powder coated blue now:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.