Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T89 Designs - Project SSL Build Diary
z2000

posted on 26/8/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Top job there! Looks epic, really nice design and you've pulled off the build really well.

If I had more garage space I'd be buying the plans now, but it'll have to wait for a while.

Have you got an up to date approx. total spend to build the car?

If it isn't broken; take it apart and fix it! Build PhotoBlog:
http://z2000.co.uk

craigdiver

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Looks awesome, street legal version?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all.

Competition debut most likely next year now. Engine needs to come out to replace the clutch but I might use that opportunity to stick a 1000cc lump in there (for development work of course).

Approx build cost (like any Locost) is as little or much as you want really. If you do all the work yourself and search for a bargain on the engine and a few other bits a rolling chassis and power train could be done for £2.5k but then you could blast £4k on a set of shocks and £5k on an engine if you were so inclined.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver

News coming soon on that.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
craigdiver

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:

You tease

big_wasa

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it looks fantastic.

No chance of working the mx5 front uprights ? As a good pair can be had for 1/10 the cost of the RD's fitting with "Locost" ethos and more of a single donor option.

So the Rd uprights are £195
Pair of hubs £80
Grease caps, bearings and studs £35
Total with vat £372 give or take...

Besides I have a set of mx5 ready for a project and your little car would suit my little garage

[Edited on 28/8/16 by big_wasa]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/8/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at the MX5 front uprights but its not something I'm going to do. Unlike the rear MX5 uprights (which were near identical geometry to what I had already) the fronts are very very different. Basically there would be 3 options to make them fit:

1) A completely different front chassis arrangement (money and time)
2) A lot of re-work and adaptors for the front uprights (even more money and time)
3) Just have the worse geometry (and compromise the car)

And whichever one you choose you also end up with more un-sprung mass.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/8/16 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:

You tease

When I can confirm the plan I will give more details but a project is starting for a car-engine based version, re-designed with IVA in mind. It will be very much based on a single donor driveline but with very few compromises to the original ethos.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 28/8/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the reply. The reason I buy plans like yours, like the books is I am no designer.

You have got me really interested in the car engine version.

Give us a hint on donor ?

[Edited on 29/8/16 by big_wasa]

MitchMk3

posted on 29/8/16 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yes it looks fantastic.

No chance of working the mx5 front uprights ? As a good pair can be had for 1/10 the cost of the RD's fitting with "Locost" ethos and more of a single donor option.

So the Rd uprights are £195
Pair of hubs £80
Grease caps, bearings and studs £35
Total with vat £372 give or take...

Besides I have a set of mx5 ready for a project and your little car would suit my little garage

[Edited on 28/8/16 by big_wasa]

I looked into this myself as you have pointed out the cost difference is significant enough to explore.

Without going into the obvious geometry differences, the crux of the problem is the low steering arm on the mx5 uprights that attach the ball joint from underneath. On the chassis as is, the steering rack would have to be where the brake master cylinder is. Hence either significant chassis or upright changes.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/8/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mitch, put much more succinctly than I managed.

A hint? Simple, Lightweight, compact and cheap. And not 4cyl. (No its not a Smart car)

[Edited on 29/8/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of early photos (don't worry I'm buying the un-watermarked versions... I'm not that stingy)

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/9/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have decided to sell the car so somebody can use it properly, possible opportunity to run it as a works team with factory support and some sponsorship.

Advert:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=205885&page=1#pid1725330

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/7/17 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I better book-end this project diary before I start a new one for a new car.

I didnt sell the car in the end, it was upgraded to the latest version (PH1.2), loads of weight reduction and performance parts and I have started competing in it. It ruddy aweseme! Everything is was hoping it would be and massive fun.

Some pictures from Croft:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

And now, time for the Roughshark!

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.