Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Craig's 442E BMW powered build
craigdiver

posted on 24/9/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Engine starts :-) :-) :-)

Bit rough but runs with heavily butchered loom & modified ECU. It stalled after giving it a bit of revs, please see post in ‘engine & transmission’ if you have any thoughts.

https://youtu.be/sMSArNFT5rA

Feeling happy!

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 7/10/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Having a lucky build day!!!

Amongst other jobs today on the car was to get samples from the BMW & sierra driveshafts so I could get sleeves made up to join them. The sierra drive shaft is a serious piece of solid bar and the BMW drive shaft is a 2.8mm wall tube, guess what? the sierra driveshaft is an interference fit into the bore of the BMW driveshaft - HAPPY DAYS! :-)

On a side note; I have discovered that wasps don’t like being sprayed with WD40 ;-)

[Edited on 7/10/17 by craigdiver]

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 7/10/17 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Amongst other jobs today on the car was to get samples from the BMW & sierra driveshafts so I could get sleeves made up to join them. The sierra drive shaft is a serious piece of solid bar and the BMW drive shaft is a 2.8mm wall tube, guess what? the sierra driveshaft is an interference fit into the bore of the BMW driveshaft - HAPPY DAYS! :-)

On a side note; I have discovered that wasps don’t like being sprayed with WD40 ;-)

[Edited on 7/10/17 by craigdiver]

Winner winner chicken dinner

craigdiver

posted on 31/12/17 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
just picked up custom made GRP scuttle to fit my haynes/442E hybrid chassis, just need some warmer weather to get cracking on with the build.

Many thanks to forum user Hugh Paterson for all his hard work making a scuttle from my mock-up, would recommend him for any GRP you are needing for your build whatever it is.

Happy new year to everyone following my build :-)

[Edited on 31/12/17 by craigdiver]

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 6/1/18 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
scuttle fits!

got drive shaft drilled for speedo magnet and painted. Also test fitted scuttle to make sure had clearance between bonnet line and engine and yipee (and relief!) have 1-2” clearance. wont quite get a supercharger on there but at least engine won’t be rattling off the bonnet :-)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 31/1/18 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Some more progress despite the freezing temperatures. Driveshafts welded up, rear suspension assembled and brakes built up. Handbrake cables fitted. Also got rear arch temporarily fitted to check fit and all good (I think!)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 1/2/18 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
nearside rear drum brake assembled - quite tricky to get the new springs on but got there. Also got final bits of cooling system assembled (was waiting on fabricated & painted brackets drying - took ages in the freezing temperatures- must get myself a little oven to bake parts when painted).

Radiator looking a bit small compared to original one from donor but expect to have to replace it. 120W fan fitted on engine side of radiator to pull air through.

Getting closer by the day to be able to drive it about the yard. Going to get my son to help replace the bushes in the front wishbones at the weekend - this will allow me to finalise the front suspension and get the car on its wheels for the first time :-)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 1/2/18 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
i’ve also ordered a 600mm length of 80mm ID silicone hose to move the air intake forward of the radiator to allow a cool air flow.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 10/2/18 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic couple of days

Lots of progress made yesterday and today;
- front suspension and steering completed (then swapped calipers as had them on wrong sides - bleed nipples below inlets!)
- hydraulic clutch test connected to see if clutch operating ok - had a pig of a job bleeding circuit but eventually got it filled with fluid but ran out of brake fluid. Clutch pedal doesn’t feel great and not releasing clutch - hope it just needs bled properly and is not seized.
- cut opening in nose cone and made template for grille (any suggestions on what to use for grille?)
- fitted nosecone by hinging at the bottom and securing with couple of countersunk screws in the sides (will they be ok for IVA or do I temporarily stick in a couple of bolts with plastic dome covers?)
- started reworking fuel tank pump/sender arrangement. Just need to get a bit of aluminium TIG welding done by a friend and then I can complete the fuel tank - side note; used rubber gaskets previously - they had gone gloopy with the petrol fumes alone - glad I dismantled it or this would have resulted in petrol vapour leaking. Replaced with cork gasket.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/2/18 at 04:40 AM Reply With Quote
The fasteners on the nose cone. .Can't you.put them on the inside lip so they can't be seen ?.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/2/18 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
That's how I did mine anyways.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

craigdiver

posted on 13/2/18 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Car lowered onto its wheels for the very first time (and workshop tidied). Running 115mm chassis clearance at the front and 130mm at the rear - looks great, still smiling like a cheshire cat! I have 75mm clearance from sump to road so will be stiffening front suspension up (by compressing the coil over springs with big c spanner?)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 13/4/18 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
yipee - engine running - had mega issues getting it going but traced to huge vacuum leak from crankcase breather. Now just to free up the clutch and I can drive it round the farm :-)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

J666AYP

posted on 13/4/18 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Great news! much left to finish it?

Jay

craigdiver

posted on 13/4/18 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Great news! much left to finish it?

Jay

Loads, as its being built from scratch with an oversized chassis I will need to fabricate my own body panels. Think planning on IVA in 12 months.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

J666AYP

posted on 13/4/18 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, having the bodywork issue myself. Will deal with that some other time lol.

And spring 2019 is not a bad target, plenty of shakedown and tweaking time before the IVA. Sadly my one will take atleast another 2 years

Jay

craigdiver

posted on 13/4/18 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Ouch, having the bodywork issue myself. Will deal with that some other time lol.

And spring 2019 is not a bad target, plenty of shakedown and tweaking time before the IVA. Sadly my one will take atleast another 2 years

Jay

I’m far from a sheet metalworker!, going to do bodywork in 5 pieces of 1.2mm aluminium, rear tub, sides to scuttle and separate removable pieces on engine bay sides

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 31/5/18 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a bit of progress made on electrical system / harness. Interior passengers side and bulkhead complete. made in 2 sections so could be removed for easy access to gearbox / prop / clutch slave.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

J666AYP

posted on 31/5/18 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thats looking tasty.

Good work there mate

craigdiver

posted on 15/7/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Been busy!

Been busy with the build the last few weeks and onto another milestone - starting to fabricate and fit the bodywork.

A bit of CAD (Cardboard aided design!)

First fit - lots of work to do yet to get it to right shape - wood clamped on to hold it flat whilst working the aluminium.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 29/7/18 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rear tub finished, don’t thing ill take up metalworking for a living but pleasantly surprised at results!

Bonded on with silkaflex 221 and formed round upper and lower rear tub supports. Folded and rivited at D11.

Had to fit LED numberplate lights / reflectors before fitting panel as almost impossible to get into the rear of them due to fuel tank. (that will be fun if I ever have to replace them!)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 29/7/18 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
In between fitting the rear tub I have been working to diagnose an air leak causing rough idle. Eventually bit the bullet and whipped the inlet manifold off. Found perished hoses from CCV to FPR and CCV to dipstick. The hoses were like putty and broke very easily - hopefully that was my issue. Have ordered complete CCV kit which comes with complete set of vacuum hoses. Also took the opportunity to remove both the purge valve and secondary air pump valve which are no longer needed.

[Edited on 29/7/18 by craigdiver]

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 3/8/18 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Started testing the sensors and actuators before refitting them to the inlet manifold. Looked on youtube on how to test the ICV (Idle Control Valve) and on turning it back and forth it should rattle - mine doesn’t. Hit it with half a can of carb cleaner until I felt it starting to free up then rattle freely. Hopefully this was the rough idle issue. Will be reassembling everything tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 9/8/18 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
feeling frustrated - M52TU rough idle

so far had inlet manifold off and checked seals, fitted new CCV and pipework, fitted 'good' used idle control valve, changed MAF for 'good' used one. smoke tested for vacuum leaks. unplug MAF and it idles ok but higher revs. plug in the MAF and it idles like this... (engine is M52TU)

I have INPA if anyone can suggest any tests?

https://youtu.be/tEx3HvMpO40

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/8/18 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like Idle speed correction is overshooting its adjustments....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.