Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mini One as first car?
sdh2903

posted on 4/2/18 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mini One as first car?

My step son has his practical test coming up in 3 weeks God help us. So attention has turned to sorting a car. Now obvioulsy insurance restricted we've done a ruck of comparisons on every small car I can think of. Before this id been pointing him towards Citroen C1/pug 107/aygo which are all the same car anyways.

However strangely the Mini one in either 1.4 or older 1.6 petrol or 1.4 diesel are coming in within 20 quid or so of the insurance of the C1 gang. I have been trying to persuade him the c1 etc will be cheaper to run/service/repair but his heads been turned by the Mini (to be fair as would mine)

So has anyone ran one? Are they expensive to run? I've read the usual buyers guides etc.

He's only part time working at present around 6th form so total budget is 3k for car and insurance so if it's a mini it's going to be 2002-06 vintage whereas the c1 would get a 2008-10 model.

morcus

posted on 4/2/18 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
All the people I know with minis of that vintage seem to spend a lot of money on them.

I don't know if you've checked it for the insurance but I'd have a look at a Panda. I had one for 3 years and it was a brilliant car and I found it much more comfortable and practice than the Aygo. Like the C1/Aygo the parts are cheap and easy to get and fit.

If he's buying it himself it is ultimately his choice and make it clear you won't be paying out because he wanted the cooler car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

sdh2903

posted on 4/2/18 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Weirdly I put the panda in and it jumped 200 quid!! I genuinely don't know how insurance figures are dreamt up.

He's fully aware he'll be responsible, I did the same with his older brother, once we've helped to get him going I'll give them my labour but the running costs are his responsibility. They've also always been made to have their own policies unlike his mates who've been put on parents' policies.

mcramsay

posted on 4/2/18 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had a first generation Mini Cooper 1.6 as my second car, it was great, and it was no more expensive to run/fix than the other cars in your price bracket. Every car has a tale of woe attached for things going wrong. I think it’s a good choice and looks a bit better than the other cars mentioned!
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 4/2/18 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t do it minis are money pits , c1/107/aygo are great cars and cheap to run but n/cap rating isn’t great . Fiesta corsa or Clio maybe a better bet my son needed a diesel to commute to college we got him a Volvo s40 2.0 diesel after one year of driving it was cheaper to insure than a 1.4 Petrol Focus insurance is a strange thing .
JC

posted on 4/2/18 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Got my son a mint Aygo......

By the time he had bumped into a few kerbs, hidden posts etc. I was regretting searching so hard for such a nice one.....but at least it was cheap to repair! Mini would not be so....especially if it has alloys!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 4/2/18 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
My lad has had an insurance quote on a 1.4 mini. Compared well against others.
mark chandler

posted on 4/2/18 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bought my daughter a mini one, she loved it, early 1.6.

Seemed pretty well screwed together, she got rid at 130k miles after 3 years just needed a wheel bearing and back box from memory.

hughpinder

posted on 5/2/18 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Got my daughter a cooper D for her 21st - 3.5 years and 50K and I think the only thing it has had apart from brakes/tyres/normal service is one sidelight bulb and the tracking done once. Hers was a 2011 one though, so only 2 and a bit years old at purchase.
Regards
Hugh

nick205

posted on 5/2/18 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Sister in law had a small mid-life-crisis and acquired a 2007 Mini One. It pretty much ate money from her purse

That one was written off and she replaced it with a 2010 Mini One, which again has sucked up money

Personally there's something about them I just don't like. Certainly a marketing/sales success for BMW and it's provided a way into FWD cars for them with some separation from the BMW name.

IMHO your initial thoughts around Aygo, 107 and C1 are probably a better option.

hughpinder

posted on 5/2/18 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Should probably say, We got my daughter a £995 polo SDI as her first car - cheap to buy/insure/fuel/service and a lots of panels bolt on. A bit bigger too, which makes you think it would come off better in an accident. Was good for her as you can actually get 4 people in with their weeks shopping, which you wont get with Aygo or similar
Irony

posted on 5/2/18 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mini One = Money Pit

As above I would go either VW Polo or Seat Ibiza. I bought a 1.4mpi Ibiza for £1000 with 60K on the clock. Sold it 5 years later for £500 with 110K on the clock. I replaced a a exhaust backbox in all that time. Best value car I have ever owned.

jeffw

posted on 5/2/18 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap Mini One for my Son's first car. £1500 and 108K miles and it has been fine, once I had the engine swapped and the gearbox rebuilt. aircon fixed, exhaust replaced and all the brakes done plus 4 new tyres. Absolutely fine if you wanted a £4500 Mini which was worth £1500 lol.

To be fair is has been fine since I replaced most of it....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.