Board logo

Argh!!! Escalating project alert!
David Jenkins - 9/11/09 at 09:05 PM

A while ago I decided to fit a full windscreen - I knew that there would be a few jobs to be done, but it seems to be never-ending!

Originally (in my innocence) I thought it was going to be:

* Fit the windscreen and its supports.
* Fit the wipers.
* Fit the screen wash system.
* Think about some form of demisting.

What I hadn't accounted for was:

* Buying and fitting new side mirrors (not enough clear space on the scuttle for the old ones).
* Modifying the dashboard - trying to find space for the wiper and screen-washer switches (and demister!) while keeping some form of 'designed' look rather than random switches. Alternatively, get my Sierra column switches working...
* Additional wiring and fuses for the wiper and screen-wash electrics.
* If I do use the Sierra wiper switch, I'd want to use its light switch too, so that's more rewiring.
* Finding some way of mounting the tax disc (I used to have it bolted to the side of the scuttle - not enough space any more).
* Filling in the unwanted holes in the scuttle, re-finishing and re-spraying.

In software development they call this 'feature creep' - not sure what it's called in car building...

...possibly "stupidity".

[Edited on 9/11/09 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 9/11/09 at 09:09 PM

Remind us why you wanted a full screen again...?

If we thought you didn't enjoy the tinkering and problem solving we might feel a dab of sympathy for you, but we all know you love it really

David Jenkins - 9/11/09 at 09:10 PM

BenB - 9/11/09 at 09:31 PM

Tax disc should be on the screen though an easy option is to mount it on a single bolt motorbike tax disc holder on one of the lower screen support bolts.

.... though personally I keep mine in the tax disc holder in my pocket and haven't had a problem yet.... The traffic wardens don't (? can't) give a ticket for no road tax and the road tax computer shows (or showed until I sorn'd it) as up to date.

David Jenkins - 9/11/09 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
...an easy option is to mount it on a single bolt motorbike tax disc holder on one of the lower screen support bolts.

That's my cunning plan...

Danozeman - 9/11/09 at 09:41 PM

David, Iv fitted a screen and nothing else

Daddylonglegs - 9/11/09 at 09:49 PM

Well I know it's no consolation to you, but at least I know to wire my project for a possible future screen before I finish the wiring loom

David Jenkins - 9/11/09 at 10:04 PM

Smart-arse!

speedyxjs - 10/11/09 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
.... though personally I keep mine in the tax disc holder in my pocket and haven't had a problem yet.... The traffic wardens don't (? can't) give a ticket for no road tax and the road tax computer shows (or showed until I sorn'd it) as up to date.

I think you'll find the offence is 'failing to display a valid tax disc.

roadrunner - 10/11/09 at 10:12 AM

I went through the trauma of fitting a full screen, then decided it made the driving experience terrible so changed to a aeroscreen instead.
3/4
3/4

3/4
3/4

[Edited on 10/11/09 by roadrunner]

Bluemoon - 10/11/09 at 11:48 AM

I ignored the advice on here and fitted my screen post SVA, glad I did fitting one after is making more work for yourself..

It would be simpler to get though SVA without but I wanted to do it properly anyhow (wipers de-mist ect). Fitting a heater and all the other bits after is not simple as there is not that much room..

Dan