Board logo

temporary portable garage
rodgling - 9/10/14 at 02:03 PM

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Portable Garage 2,4 x 3,6 Temporary Carport Tent Car Storage Shelter grey | eBay
ortable Garage 2,4 x 3,6 Temporary Carport Tent Car Storage Shelter grey
NTENT24

I've just moved and need to house my 7 until I get a garage built, which may take a little while. Would one of these tenty things survive a winter? It would be in a very shelted location (between the house and a tall fence with a gate on one end).

AndyW - 9/10/14 at 02:21 PM

I looked at one of those prior to building my garage, but found the e-bay ones were "water resistant" not waterproof. They also let water in from underneath.

I know someone who used a dancover LINK HERE which are 100% waterproof and they also added a large tarp on the floor and up the sides a bit to stop water coming in from under neath. They were happy with it as a temporary solution, temporary being 2 years...

mcerd1 - 9/10/14 at 02:25 PM

a mate of mine got one for the same reason - his ended up surviving for about 3 - 4 years in the end in a very sheltered spot

his looked a just little bit stronger with better fabric than those ones though...

we've also used these before - they are a fair bit stronger if you anchor them down well:
15&apos' x 12&apos' Ex British Army Frame Tent

they come in other sizes, but 15'x12' is about right for most cars
(ebay link is just an example btw - lots of places sell these as MOD surplus so look for bargans)

and I'd bet the army tent will hold more value if you want to sell it later...

[Edited on 9/10/2014 by mcerd1]

rodgling - 9/10/14 at 03:03 PM

Thanks, I found the threads on here recommending Dancover, so think I will get one of those. Good idea about a tarp floor, will do that - thanks.

thefreak - 9/10/14 at 04:01 PM

Have a look at Galatents. If you've got the space they're excellent for keeping the car under. We use a 10x4m at the race events to store and work on 4 cars in the paddock.

steve m - 9/10/14 at 06:00 PM

if you have a spare vacant wall, why not by a second hand caravan awning on ebay, plus you can by the channel it fits to, and screw it to the wall ?

steve

austin man - 9/10/14 at 07:31 PM

Machine mart do a clarke one it looks well up to the job