Board logo

Sidecar outfit
Petemate - 27/1/16 at 09:12 PM

Would there be any interest for members in a planned project I have in mind, ie the fabrication and fitting of a lightweight chassis to my little 250 motorcycle? If so, would it be acceptable, once I get started, for this to be entered in the Locost-inspired, three wheel section? Or if not there, Project diaries? Or is that just for LSISCs? I have mentioned this in my post in the Welcome Back section.
Pete

Benzine - 27/1/16 at 09:18 PM

Definite interest here! I'd like to see that

Andybarbet - 27/1/16 at 09:29 PM

Definately sounds interesting to me too.

Three wheeled section sounds good to me, 2 on the bike & 1 on the sidecar.

Welcome back !

[Edited on 27/1/16 by Andybarbet]

Petemate - 27/1/16 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Definite interest here! I'd like to see that

Cheers Benzine! Won't be starting it just yet but most of my thinking/designing etc is done in the early hours when I wake up and can't sleep lol

quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Definately sounds interesting to me too.

Three wheeled section sounds good to me, 2 on the bike & 1 on the sidecar.

Welcome back !

[Edited on 27/1/16 by Andybarbet]

Ta Andy! I will go for the Three wheeled section then. I'm sure the mods will sort me out if it is not right.

The LA in its present guise. The colour scheme is not original to the LA models as I got a NOS tank which was in 125C colour so I had the side panels painted to match. Also the handlebars are RD250 NOS as the original custom ones were awful in traffic.

Pete

r1_pete - 28/1/16 at 07:56 AM

Yes go for it, I think most people here are interested in one offs, and will only be too happy to help with problems and ideas....

By the time I get my CB750s done I'll probably need sidecars to hold them up..

Petemate - 28/1/16 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yes go for it, I think most people here are interested in one offs, and will only be too happy to help with problems and ideas....

By the time I get my CB750s done I'll probably need sidecars to hold them up..

Love it!
During the winters of '91 and '92 I used to pop a chassis on my Revere despatching, my main duties were Nat West bank runs but I then did baggage deliveries in the evenings. Also had a Freewheel trailer and could get over a dozen bags on the whole outfit. Good days, and great fun in the ice and snow.

nick205 - 28/1/16 at 11:23 AM

Not a motorbike fan myself, but I'd be interested to see a sidecar build and fitting - watching others make stuff is always good in my book.

sprintB+ - 28/1/16 at 12:35 PM

I had a weird thing on a Yamaha, think it was called a sidewinder, as you leaned so did the sidecar wheel. It was fun but soon got bored being stuck in traffic, so off it went to a new home.

SteveWalker - 28/1/16 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sprintB+
I had a weird thing on a Yamaha, think it was called a sidewinder, as you leaned so did the sidecar wheel. It was fun but soon got bored being stuck in traffic, so off it went to a new home.

Was't that the thing that was basically just an arm with a wheel on, so that although totally useless, it legally counted as a sidecar and got around the rules on engine size for learners?

sprintB+ - 28/1/16 at 02:30 PM

Thats the thing ! it wasn't quite as crude, but yeah, RD400 with one.

r1_pete - 28/1/16 at 03:04 PM

One of these:
sidecar
sidecar

I rode a RD with one on in the 80's, it bounced about so much above 40 mph it was like trying to control a space hopper that was trying to push you over the opposite way....

Petemate - 28/1/16 at 05:09 PM

Yes, they were popular for a while to get round learner laws. Loophole was fairly quickly closed! Not much good for avoiding falling off on diesel or ice/snow compared with a sidecar though.

Rod Ends - 28/1/16 at 05:19 PM

blakep82 - 28/1/16 at 06:21 PM

I love a side car! Just make sure you read the msva (is that still what its called for bikes?) Manual before you get too far. If it needs to go through msva, be careful of your wheel layout

Petemate - 28/1/16 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
I love a side car! Just make sure you read the msva (is that still what its called for bikes?) Manual before you get too far. If it needs to go through msva, be careful of your wheel layout

AFAIK sidecars are accessories, and just require insurance to be informed, and an MOT inspection for outfits at an appropriate centre. Some good info on the 3 wheels better and Simply Sidecars websites.