Board logo

Sierra hex shaft
pekwah1 - 25/12/16 at 10:51 PM

Hi guys,

MERRY XMAS!!

I'm just sorting out my steering column and could do with the main shay being a bit longer...
Not sure if this is the standard length for a sierra column, otherwise is there anywhere I can get a longer one?

Thanks
Andy

adithorp - 26/12/16 at 08:27 AM

Sierra prod only had one length and never heard of a longer one.

Ps... that's a triangle, not a hexagon.

rusty nuts - 26/12/16 at 09:16 AM

Can you extend the lower section between the triangular shaft and the rack? There are couplings available to join it to a splined shaft and splined shafts in different lengths

pekwah1 - 26/12/16 at 09:17 AM

Yeh I can do the lower section, would have been better to do the upper....
Anyone know the standard length of the triangle section (not hex, must have had too much xmas juice!)

CosKev3 - 26/12/16 at 12:05 PM

I might have a piece in my garage,as I extended the one on my car and think I kept the left overs

steve m - 26/12/16 at 12:24 PM

Andy, what have you done with the old steering shaft ?
as I may change mine this winter, as I do really need it to have a sliding joint (if there is such a thing)
as to get the rack out, or steering column is a BIG job,

steve

pekwah1 - 26/12/16 at 04:22 PM

Hi Steve, I managed to break the old column (don't ask) which is why I'm now using the sierra one. I still have the hex bit, but need it longer

CosKev3 - 26/12/16 at 05:31 PM

Just searched the garage and can't find it soz

Matt21 - 5/1/17 at 01:00 PM

That's only half a hex

How about cutting it, sleeving with a steel tube with each end shaped into a triangle (or hex as you call it ) and welded in between the two triangle lengths to add an inch or so?

pekwah1 - 5/1/17 at 01:02 PM

Not allowed any welding for Iva... think I'm just going to extend the lower section and leave the top as it is..