Board logo

Are there jobs i can do away from the car?
emanresu - 6/6/17 at 08:02 PM

Hello,

I'm new so not sure if this the right place to post. I have the offer of space and tools to start building a locost. The only problem is that I'll only be nearby for about half the year. So, are there any jobs I can be getting on with while I don't have access to the car in progress?

Schrodinger - 6/6/17 at 08:35 PM

It depends on what facilities you have away from the car/build but you could be reconditioning hubs,brakes and any other parts.

emanresu - 6/6/17 at 08:59 PM

OK, thanks. I guess my main limitation is space, I can probably take most tools with me, away from the build.

nick205 - 7/6/17 at 08:35 AM

I was going to suggest making a dashboard, but thinking back although I made mine it was done next to the car so I could check the fit, reach etc.

Parts reconditioning could be done - driveshafts etc, but you'll need work space (and tools) to do it.

Pat_T - 7/6/17 at 09:58 AM

Wiring looms - best done in the house in the warmth/light with a good supply of coffee and cake

steve m - 7/6/17 at 07:42 PM

Lots of overtime, as what ever your budget is, you need to double it

stevebubs - 8/6/17 at 12:00 AM

dashboard, loom, carpets/trim....

Mr Whippy - 8/6/17 at 12:28 PM

you'll also be best sorting out insurance for the build (is it really secure for 6 months?) and checking your still ok with the workspace if the build takes longer than you expect as most do.

furryeggs - 8/6/17 at 01:00 PM

I did all the following away from the car, I did have access to welders and lathes at the time though and quite a relaxed boss when it came to night shifts.

Running gear & brakes cleaned stripped and painted
Made/painted brackets. (from drawings/measurements)
Exhaust bits & wrapping
made and covered the Dashboard from a template
Tidied up and marked up loom
Made a fuel rail & inlet manifold
Refurbed and painted alloys
Cut and trimmed nosecone & wings
machined any bushes and bits needed
Fibre glassed bits from moulds and bucks made on the car
Painted most of the smaller bits (cam cover, light bezels etc)
Modified lights
drilled and mounted fuel sender in the tank
and now I'm finishing my boot lid and covering it.

Now I'm almost done I'm running out of things to do without the car.