Board logo

Off road ideas please..
miskit - 22/10/18 at 11:13 PM

Quick re-cap. About 2 years ago I bought a non running, VW based UVA Fugitive Sand rail - which was kit from the 80's that could be made up as a road going car or off road. http://fugitives.co.uk/
Mine is an off road version. I got it running, then shortly after ripped out the VW gearbox and swing arm suspension and replaced it with a VW Camper/Bus gearbox and an IRS rear end from a Porsche 944. After a week on the road with that I decided I was not too keen on the engine and decided to upgrade the 39hp beetle for a 139hp MX5 1.8 engine that I had. Much fun was had joining the box and engine as well as replacing all of the electrics, hydraulics etc. This was the end result (with my mates version behind!) :

Now about 1000 miles later there are a few winter things to do (clean the mud out for a start!) - driving it is fun, BUT basically I am missing the challenge of the build so I will probably sell it.

So now looking for a new challenge. I want to build a similar style car but with a more modern chassis, probably modifying an existing frame design. I have just been taking a look at the Midlana chassis which I like the look of and rear engine makes sense - obviously the the suspension would need to be re-thought as it's a road car but there are plenty of designs out there - or just rip off a 4x4 set up. It would be a 80/20 Road/off-road - but I like the Sand rail style. I am resigned to having to IVA whatever it is.

Ideas please!

CNHSS1 - 23/10/18 at 08:01 AM

Luvvin your rail super cool!!

Is you mates a Tamiya SuperChamp replica?

JAG - 23/10/18 at 08:35 AM

When I was young (<15!) I always wanted one of these

Not that I'm ever likely to buy one but they look like so much fun.

Mr Whippy - 23/10/18 at 11:09 AM

I just love sand rails...................

Your's looks just awesome

miskit - 23/10/18 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Luvvin your rail super cool!!

Is you mates a Tamiya SuperChamp replica?

Thanks!

If that's an RC car, then yes - he was big into them and designed it to look like one! He runs a Subaru engine and has run it round the Sahara. Sandrail#23 is his FB

CNHSS1 - 23/10/18 at 09:36 PM

Yep it's an rc car from back in the day &#128077;

beaver34 - 29/10/18 at 02:26 PM

Looks great!

drop me a u2u if your looking to sell in the future i may be interested