Board logo

TPS on a Weber DGV down-draft carb?
David Jenkins - 4/4/08 at 10:08 AM

Has anyone tried to put a TPS sensor on a Weber DGV carb? If so, do you have any pictures?

cheers,
David

BTW: I haven't given up on my bike carbs, but getting the airbox/filter sorted out is taking longer than I expected, and I'm also having difficulty in finding someone to rolling-road it after completion.

I want to get out and about in my car so I'm going to put the bike carbs on the bench so I can deal with the issues while still being able to go out and play.

The bike carbs WILL happen...

rusty nuts - 4/4/08 at 07:14 PM

David, would it be possible to put the TPS on the linkage ? Cant remember if the DGV has a thread on the end of the throttle spindle. If it has it may be possible to fit an adaptor with the correct "D" shape to fit inside the TPS. I got one when I was sorting out my Emerald set up which I didn't use. IF I can find it you are welcome to it. Will look tomorrow. Melvyn

David Jenkins - 4/4/08 at 07:24 PM

Many thanks Melvin!

I've just had a good look at the linkage - it's a bit odd, in that the main spindle first operates one butterfly, then the other after moving half-way. I can't see where a TPS can be connected. I'm aiming for minimum effort, and minimum inconvenience, so that I can get on the road again.

I even considered fitting a linkage to a remote TPS! That might be the last resort (but I'd rather not).

cheers,
David

[Edited on 4/4/08 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts - 4/4/08 at 07:50 PM

How about mounting the TPS on the end of the linkage at the non carb end of the rod near to the cable connection? if the direction of rotation is correct? Or possibly connected to the throttle pedal pivot point?

paulf - 4/4/08 at 09:33 PM

Why not just set it up to run in 2D mode .It wont give the ultimate in power or economy, but will run ok for short term use.Many crossflows etc have 2d ignition as people do away with the vac advance when running webers or uprated cams with a dizzy.
Paul.

David Jenkins - 4/4/08 at 09:34 PM

I was thinking about the 'non-carb end' fitting as I walked down to the pub this evening....
...I have a cunning plan!

Just need to get a cheap TPS from my favourite scrappy tomorrow so that I can plan my experiment.

David Jenkins - 6/4/08 at 06:38 PM

The cunning plan seems to have worked!

The TPS and its connector cost me £2.35, the angle bracket was £2.25 from B&Q and the aluminium bits were made from some scrap I had in my workshop (also ex-B&Q). Total cost around £5 - not bad!

The silver-coloured angle bracket is now in the process of being painted black.

If anyone's interested in how I did it the please let me know - I'll put a few words and pictures on my website.

Note that a lathe wasn't used this time!

[Edited on 6/4/08 by David Jenkins] Rescued attachment weber-tps-1.jpg
Rescued attachment weber-tps-1.jpg

David Jenkins - 6/4/08 at 06:41 PM

Another piccy Rescued attachment weber-tps-2.jpg
Rescued attachment weber-tps-2.jpg

jaybe - 12/4/08 at 09:44 AM

Hi,
I'm fitting bike carbs and Megajolt to my 2L Pinto but want to do it one stage at a time. I'm going to instal the MJLJ first with the existing downdraft. Would be grateful to see in greater detail how you acheived it.
Cheers
John

David Jenkins - 12/4/08 at 02:54 PM

No probs - most of it's written up and on my website (link below). Click on 'special tools and parts', then 'adding a throttle position sensor to a Weber DGV carb'.

The only thing that's missing is one diagram for a component - but it's not essential.

HTH,
David

jaybe - 14/4/08 at 03:21 PM

Thanks David.

That's very useful.

Connected the Megajolt up on the bench last night and everything that I could test on the bench seems to work OK. Couldn't believe my luck when I saw the TPS load working on the laptop. Only the VR sensor to check now and that'll have to wait til I get it on the car.

Need to get on with machining the pulley to take the trigger wheel now.

Thanks again
John