Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Another member looking for a car
thehodgesfamily

posted on 6/6/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Another member looking for a car

Hello everyone! I am looking for a Westfield type car to use as a summer bit of fun, but also some hill climb events (We live close to Shelsley Walsh!). We have a budget of about 5-6k. I am fairly mechanically minded but this would be our first foray into the world of kit cars so don't want anything that will need rebuilding every month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ugg10

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Any of these do - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/raw

I'd choose a striker over a westfield any day.

Dopdog

posted on 6/6/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, both good value and the blue one looks very well buit.
thehodgesfamily

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Like the look of the Blue Raw, what are the zetec engines like for upgrading cost wise? Is it an expensive job? Just thinking ahead, would want a car to keep and hill climb for a good few years before needing to change to something quicker (i.e. maybe bike engined one). Are the raws very heavy as far as seven replicas go?

have also seen these...
tiger kit car

Westfield Seven Pre-Lit 1987 with 2.0 Pinto Engine

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=191294

The westfield looks nice but the engine area looks a bit ropey, and i can't work out why the MK is for sale still, looks too good! Shame it is so far away!

Sorry for asking what may be dumb questions but we are new to this!!

daniel mason

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
If your hillclimbing on that budget I'd get a <1700cc car otherwise it will be very difficult to compete with the 2litre cars!

Dopdog

posted on 6/6/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
striker all the way for me but I am a bit biased, also there is a reason the tiger is cheap but again this is my own personal view
Ugg10

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have no hard facts but I suspect the striker is one of the lighter chassis. It has inboard shocks reducing unsprung weight, the blue one is a very good spec for the price, front brake uprade, lsd, omex and tbs.

If you are looking for upgrades, zetec is a similar price to any other modern 4pot, getting to 200hp is a set of cams and a rolling road session with the tbs and ecu, then you get into the usual law of diminishing returns. Alternatives are supercharge or turbo for 250+ hp. Or swap the engine for a st170 engine and a set of cams far a quick upgrade. In addition I would swap the gearbox for a bgh long first close ratio or if funds allow a caterham 6 speed.

But like most engines once you get close to 100hp/l it starts to get expensive.

Note the striker is relatively small which is good for sprint/hill climbs and has had lots of track development as a one of the more successful race chassis.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 6/6/14 by Ugg10]

daniel mason

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
theres a STM wit R1 power on uphillracers. a bit dear imho but he may take an offer as its not sold

Magic Beans

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Westfield SEI up for sale at the moment: Westfield SEI Narrow Body - Fiat Twin Cam Classic Racing Engine

Selling it as I've bought Yellowcab's Indy Busa

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.