Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec to CA18DET Conversion - Done!
daveb666

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec to CA18DET Conversion - Done!

I know not many of you venture into the Luego sub-forum of this site; I have a project thread in there which occasionally gets updated:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/27/viewthread.php?tid=182407

But I thought I'd do this post as a quick reference as to what I've been up to over the last 6 weeks -

I had bought my Locost with a standard 2.0 silvertop in it but decided it wasn't fast enough so fitted some GSXr throttle bodies and MBE ECU and had it mapped to 168bhp.

Did a few track days which were really enjoyable but after getting my arse handed to me by a Jag f-type I decided more torque was needed.

I read some posts and did some research and went for a 1.8 Turbo CA18DET from a Nissan 200sx S13.

I roped in the help of Steve Bell to fit it -

old one out -

New one being installed -

Well, it works -

My pro-drifter mate having a play -

I need to get the inlet modified and my new bonnet fitted to sort all the holes out

- it's nothing short of awesome. It scares me to drive it and I'm always wanting to go out in it, I know some people say turbo's are too much power in these yada yada but this conversion has utterly transformed the car into a monster.

If anyone else is considering the conversion I hope I can be of some help

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

coozer

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Good work, what sort of power and torque are you getting?, nothing like adding lightness to a turbo motor...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daveb666

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
The ECU has a Horsham Developments Stage 2 chip, this 'stage' requires -

T28 turbo from the SR20, uprated fuel pump, bigger downpipe, front mount intercooler and boost controller.

I have all those things already on the engine but have left the boost 'standard' for now, it's therefore running around 8psi but on the bigger turbo so is probably somewhere around 220-230bhp but it feels much much more powerful than that, I've honestly never driven anything that pulls as hard as this (and I have driven some fairly impressive machinery LOL).

When I dare, the boost controller will be setup to run around 15-16psi which should take the engine to 270-280bhp but, as it stands I honestly can't imagine needing it to be any faster.

No idea on torque I'm afraid until I get the boost controller on.

[Edited on 7/10/14 by daveb666]

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
what kind of weight is the car now dave?
daveb666

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

Not sure Alastair - at my Procomp weigh-in it came in at 611kg.

Whilst the actual CA18DET block & turbo is lighter than the silvertop block that I took out I have obviously added some bits - fmic, bigger radiator, more loom and my new bonnet is also heavier, BUT the new exhaust is a lot lighter than my old one was.

I'd be surprised if I'd added more than 25-30kg but I won't know until I get it back on the scales.

AndyW

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Nice .....

If you don't mind me asking what was the "rough" installed cost? Don't mind a u2u reply!

Cheers

Andy

daveb666

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent Andy

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
quote:

Not sure Alastair - at my Procomp weigh-in it came in at 611kg.

Whilst the actual CA18DET block & turbo is lighter than the silvertop block that I took out I have obviously added some bits - fmic, bigger radiator, more loom and my new bonnet is also heavier, BUT the new exhaust is a lot lighter than my old one was.

I'd be surprised if I'd added more than 25-30kg but I won't know until I get it back on the scales.

good stuff!

its is a fairly different approach to driving though, i dont feel as confident in the corners as when it was n/a as now it is turbo charged as when its comes on boost its proper savage and i can only think im going to end up backwards

saying that doubling its hp per ton made up for it on the straights

daveb666

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
its is a fairly different approach to driving though, i dont feel as confident in the corners as when it was n/a as now it is turbo charged as when its comes on boost its proper savage and i can only think im going to end up backwards

Agree 100% - it's mental on the straights but I do intend on participating in some DWYB/skid days to really try and get the most out of the car on the corners - I don't really want to die tbh.

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
quote:

Agree 100% - it's mental on the straights but I do intend on participating in some DWYB/skid days to really try and get the most out of the car on the corners - I don't really want to die tbh.

i would be interested in those let me know and ill go slay some tyres

marco

posted on 7/10/14 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive conversion

Coming from someone who drifts 400hp to 500hp Nissans and has also owned 3 kit cars from 2ltr pinto through to the the current GSXR 1000 Indy and who also does a fair few track days etc etc. I totally understand why you have done this.

I have been torn for sometime between the driveabilty of our cars compared with chasing power figures. These cars are all about grip and speed, too much unpredictable power and the driver will hold off trying to apply it, yes it will be great fun and certainly be a handfull and if that's all the owners want then go for it I say.

I am currently thinking of fitting a turbo to a spare GSXR 1000 engine I have, but like you I'm looking for a bit more but not too much as too spoil the whole point of owning this type of car. If i want to drift I take one of the other toys out the box as they say...

I recently did a track day at Croft and many of the newer hot hatches now can lap very quickly never mind the high powered stuff, although in the corners I wanted them out of the way I lacked the acceleration I felt i could handle once the car was straight out of the corner and 2/3rds of the way down the straight would have been a nice place for more grunt.

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco

Coming from someone who drifts 400hp to 500hp Nissans and has also owned 3 kit cars from 2ltr pinto through to the the current GSXR 1000 Indy and who also does a fair few track days etc etc. I totally understand why you have done this.

I have been torn for sometime between the driveabilty of our cars compared with chasing power figures. These cars are all about grip and speed, too much unpredictable power and the driver will hold off trying to apply it, yes it will be great fun and certainly be a handfull and if that's all the owners want then go for it I say.

I am currently thinking of fitting a turbo to a spare GSXR 1000 engine I have, but like you I'm looking for a bit more but not too much as too spoil the whole point of owning this type of car. If i want to drift I take one of the other toys out the box as they say...

I recently did a track day at Croft and many of the newer hot hatches now can lap very quickly never mind the high powered stuff, although in the corners I wanted them out of the way I lacked the acceleration I felt i could handle once the car was straight out of the corner and 2/3rds of the way down the straight would have been a nice place for more grunt.

i think track use with big power is fine, its on the road i struggle as there is no margin for error or a small slide or sniff of understeer

marco

posted on 7/10/14 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you saying that with this or more power you are quicker by a mile than say 150 to 180 hp kit cars round the track?

That is my point is it worth chasing the extra power, I had a go in a busa turbo once the fastest scariest thing I've ever been in, would I have liked it as a track car I'm not sure on that one...

quote:
quote:

i think track use with big power is fine, its on the road i struggle as there is no margin for error or a small slide or sniff of understeer

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
ive not been on track after its power increase, it will be quicker for sure with the turbo power when looking at the sprint and hill climb times people are always faster after having more power ive not seen anyone go the other way

mostly i think its restructuring the driving style to be more gradual in feeding the power in and it will cause no issues

quote:
Are you saying that with this or more power you are quicker by a mile than say 150 to 180 hp kit cars round the track?

That is my point is it worth chasing the extra power, I had a go in a busa turbo once the fastest scariest thing I've ever been in, would I have liked it as a track car I'm not sure on that one...

quote:
quote:

plutos3

posted on 7/10/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/gallery/10003.JPG Thiis is my ca18det in a dutton
daveb666

posted on 9/10/14 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I can't answer as I've not done a trackday since fitting the new engine but I am 100% sure that I will be quicker around the track with the current setup - but it's not all about being quicker it's about my enjoyment of the car which has increased a hundred fold since fitting the new engine.

I'm always wanting to go out in it and check the weather every day before I get home to see if I can squeeze a 15-30min drive in before tea haha, I never did that with the old engine.

daveb666

posted on 9/10/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plutos3

Thiis is my ca18det in a dutton

Very tidy - where's the CAM sensor on the exhaust cam? What's the engine spec?

CNHSS1

posted on 9/10/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
my CA18DET in my Scimitar Sabre

Steel pauter rods, wiseco forged pistons, autosprint cams, ARP head and main studs, TOGA bearings, GT2560 (iirc) turbo, charge cooled, Emerald ecu, 361hp @18psi

[Edited on 9/10/14 by CNHSS1]

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

plutos3

posted on 9/10/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
In the process of a rebuild at this time, forged bottom end, fully balanced with light flywheel & paddle clutch. the cylinder head is lightly ported and blue printed on the inlet side, ARP head stud kit. Its got a custom made alloy front pulley with a 36 / 1 trigger wheel and a crank sensor. I have used a ford coil pack and leads, I do not use the air flow meter either. I have used stand alone emerald engine management,

When I was using for the two summers it was amazingly quick but very useable in town, it was much better at putting down the power once I fitted the LSD into the atlas axel.

I will reassemble my engine at the start of 2015 and this time I will have it setup on the rollers.

That's a nice installation you have done now enjoy it

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.