Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Badge snobbery
Benzine

posted on 14/10/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a lot of bodge snobbery in the past, I once used gaffa tape for a quick fix and my friend turned his nose up at me. Apparently I 'should have used zip ties'. There's no pleasing some people.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

I used to have fun on an Elise site suggesting that the VX220 was a Lotus given it was made in Hethel and the engine had been worked on by Lotus (unlike the bog standard K series in the Elise). I had people say that categorically, the badge on the front was more important than the car underneath it. Mind you, you only had to say 'S2 is better than S1' and you'd get a 10 page flamewar.

When I was an auto-electrician I used to work on S1 Elises quite a lot. One week we had 2 X VX220 in when they first come out, both for trackers and speaker upgrades. One was a turbo and one NA. Me and my mate poured over these all day with the high end work we were carring out and both come to the same conclusion. The VX was a nicer car. It had more comforts and because of having to compensate for the badge they had a better build quality.

We felt it is like when Ferrari bring out a track day version of a road car that costs 20% more and you get less!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mcerd1

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I used to have fun on an Elise site suggesting that the VX220 was a Lotus given it was made in Hethel and the engine had been worked on by Lotus (unlike the bog standard K series in the Elise). I had people say that categorically, the badge on the front was more important than the car underneath it. Mind you, you only had to say 'S2 is better than S1' and you'd get a 10 page flamewar.

a girl I know was going on about her new audi A3

I commented that it was probably quite good as it was basically the same as a new golf that I'd just driven, but with all the trim and toys thrown in

she was not happy, told me it was nothing like an VW and didn't speak to me for weeks after that

-

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

a girl I know was going on about her new audi A3

I commented that it was probably quite good as it was basically the same as a new golf that I'd just driven, but with all the trim and toys thrown in

she was not happy, told me it was nothing like an VW and didn't speak to me for weeks after that

I hope the next time she spoke to you you pointed out that it also shares a platform with the Skoda Octavia

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
AndyW

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
Badge snobbery is rife....and having a Robin Hood I've encountered it many times in the last 11 years ...and on this forum as well so it's ironic to see this thread appear.....

I'm a petrol head as much as anyone, and a skilled designer and engineer to go with it.....but it seems that just because I dont go out and buy the most expensive parts and bolt them onto a more modern chassis, I'm deemed the bottom of the food chain (so to speak).

How very true. I have seen some very, very well built Robin Hoods, and I still get it when I talk about mine. The question is always "what make is it" and when I reply "GBS" I always get back "Oh a Robin Hood", as if that's a bad thing. I even happens on here

Trouble is, its always from people who think they know better, or base their judgement of what they have heard, rather than actual fact or experience.

Shame really, as you say we are all petro heads and should enjoy cars for what they are, peoples creations and pride of joy....

bennettimp

posted on 15/10/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I drive and own a Lotus Elise and even I have experienced this at track days from 911 owners, I would be much much happier to talk to a chap who has built a car, no matter what they drove, who built that car from scratch. I will find that person more interesting 9 times out of 10 to talk to, than 'mr stockbroker' who wants to play race driver at the weekend in his off-the-shelf Caterham.

Yes I drive an Elise, but I have built spaceframe imps, clio's, old beemers, old toyota's, 106's, and i have appreciated all these car's for their own wonderful imperfections and flaws, and have enjoyed each of them in different ways. The Elise was always my idea automotive perfection, and I always wanted to own one at some point. Not for it's badge, it's the Colin Chapman idealization of what motoring is about that the Elise represents and I never see myself parting ways with it.

The main reason i never see myself parting ways with it is because of the smile it puts on my face, and no matter what other people thought about what i was driving that was doing that, I wouldn't bat an eyelid as to what they thought, good or bad. Enjoy your motor's and enjoy life. It's too short not to.

The 'mr stockbroker' reference was in no way meant to insult any one on here that may do such a job and build their own car's (full marks to you if you do). I was trying to paint a picture of a stereotype so to speak, that can afford to treat a car in the same manner he treats his Ralph Lauren shirt, a status symbol, it is still made in similar factory's in East Asia as a shirt from Primark and yet happy to pay 3 to 4 times as much for its 'perceived' quality. But that's a story for another day!

baz-R

posted on 15/10/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
well i feel i would like to add my 10p worth to the mix.

"Those who can build, Those who cant buy"

Wheels244

posted on 15/10/14 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baz-R
well i feel i would like to add my 10p worth to the mix.

"Those who can build, Those who cant buy"

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

Stot

posted on 15/10/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would think the actual badge on my car may get some purists riled up then.

That and my Reg is H7 BYO. Oh well.

Cheers
Stot

ali f27

posted on 15/10/14 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I remember when i got mine through iva and on the way home though i have built a whole car badge didnt matter then and still dont now i have met so many builders and enjoyed thier cars and crack one of my best friends has a westfield and another had an r 500 bloke down the village has a robin hood great guys all of them if you live long enough you will met great people and also some arsholes take you pick which ones you become friends with
BDMStriker

posted on 31/10/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not ventured out in my "7 esque" striker as yet, but very close to completion

But i know any purists will hate the mongrel its become, Vauxhaull engined, Caterham Wheels, Sylva Chassis, Raw bodywork & a vauxhall badge upfront,

But Im sure I'm not the only one who actually enjoys being classed the underdog.

I recently sold my MK1 Leon Cupra, pretty heavily breathed on, and pushing close to 245bhp.. the amount of jibes i got over 6 years of ownership for "its not a Cupra R though is it.." off other seat owners...quite sad really.... funny when on a nice B road how it was set up it left them standing...

Any monkey can drive fast in a straight line, I'm a firm believer that a driver makes a car as much as a car makes a driver.. irrelevant of what make it is.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.