Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 slipping into neutral
proretro

posted on 4/12/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
r1 slipping into neutral

Morning all.
i need some help/advice on my bec. After my 4xv engine failed last month, i replaced it with a low mileage ( 1200ish mils) 4xv
from eBay. The vortx is now back on the road and feeling very fast, However form 1st to 2nd gear its slipping into neutral. I no its a common problem with the 4xv and is most likely the shifter forks. However I'm running a rod operated gear linkage (not paddle's) and there is some play in it. So my question is there any other reason for it to be slipping into neutral or is it another engine out job

information is so much appreciated

adithorp

posted on 4/12/14 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
cerbera (on here) had similar with his (03motor) and feared it was shifters but I think he found it was lost movement in the linkage.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hobbsy

posted on 4/12/14 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
However if it was fine with your old engine before it went bang and you've not adjusted the linkage then it could be the eBay motor has a duff gearbox.

2nd gear is often the one to go through abuse.

Hope it is linkage related but you should also be prepared for the possibility that it's all got to come out again and engine cases split apart etc

proretro

posted on 4/12/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
First can i just say thanks to you both, always enjoy reading your posts sand always get good information from it
hmm you saying that it did happen in the last engine but not at first???

hobbsy

posted on 4/12/14 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm asking if you had any gear change issues on the old engine (when you say it failed I assume an engine rather than gearbox fail)? If not and you didn't change the linkage in any way when the engine was swapped then perhaps there is nothing wrong with the linkage and it's the gearbox in the new engine that's to blame?

Not everyone tells the truth about the condition of items on eBay so it could be that the box is no good?

But as I said I hope it is a cheaper and easier fix then engine out and split cases to repair the box.

I've had a box fail (or is it two?) in the past, see my Avatar <---

proretro

posted on 4/12/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, last engine i snapped a conrod. But still both engine,gearbox suffered from shifting into 2ed, however the first engine was ok for the first 4k miles. So if it was the gearbox is it an easy job to replace the forks or do you recommend say replace bottom end with lets say a 5jj gearbox
hobbsy

posted on 4/12/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got a common issue across both engines either both had bad boxes or perhaps you do have a gearbox linkage issue.

Certainly if it's not giving a positive shift or quite enough throw etc that could lead to premature wear.

The 5JJ box is stronger but as Adi mentioned perhaps it's worth concentrating on the linkage for now as it's the far easier fix.

Hope this helps

adithorp

posted on 4/12/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

...I've had a box fail (or is it two?) in the past, see my Avatar <---

He sat there, staring at the battery cut off key on the table, the last reminder of the car he still had; The rest was now in the hands of the recovery company. He looked up from his beer and and asked...

Hobbsy..."So what breaks gearboxes?"

adithorp+JimGiblett+several others (in unison)... "YOU DO!"

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.