Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Unsprung car transporter
jimmyd

posted on 19/1/15 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Unsprung car transporter

What's the thoughts on using an unsprung car transporter?

Going to do my 1st track day in the next couple of weeks and planning on how to get my non IVA'd Haynes Roadster to the circuit. As it happens the circuit is only 2 miles from my house and yes my 1st thought was to flaunt the law and drive the thing. Of course after 5mins I decided this was really asking for trouble. So started thinking of a locost trailer, converted caravan chassis, etc. I've now been offered a really cheap car transporter, the issue I have is I'd have thought a trailer of this size and carrying a little weight should really have suspension rather than solid mounted axles (twin axle). Now I know the initial plan was for travelling 2miles away but if I bought a transporter I would be wanting to travel at some point. Hence the question should I consider this unsprung trailer??

J

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 19/1/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its unsprung?

A lot of trailers use indespension units which look unsprung but actually have rubber built into the mounting.

mark chandler

posted on 19/1/15 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Strap the wheels down and you will be fine, do not strap the body as it will bounce loose.

They are not that uncommon on farms !

Wadders

posted on 19/1/15 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I had an unsprung single axle trailer for ages, against all expectations it towed really well when loaded. Not so good when empty though......
jimmyd

posted on 20/1/15 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give this a go, at the money it is I'm sure I'll be able to sell on if it doesn't work out.
bi22le

posted on 20/1/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
My old caravan chassis had massive rubber bungs hammered into the axle that created some suspension. It certainly does bounce when empty!

I built this from a scrapped £50 caravan chassis. It still cost alot even though I had a fair amount of metal free from work.

Total cost for me was knocking on the doors of £400 so not cheap but certainly fun to build and custom. I even built an undercarrage for a spare set of wheels!

Most expensive bits for me where the tyres (8 ply van ones, a must) and the actuall bed (proper oil rig \ indutrial floating floor stuff no wooden planks!)

Good luck with it.

On a side note a mate of mine found a flat bed hire company. It was not that bad to just hire that, especially if only local. I would consider investing in a trailer though if you plan to do more track days or go further a field.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.