Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: On the road
luke2152

posted on 1/5/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
On the road

Well its been a while but as of today I'm finally on the road. Look forward to getting out for a drive with some of you in the near future.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/5/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneliegh kitcar show at the weekend that would be a nice shakedown for it
theduck

posted on 1/5/15 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have to ask, what is the copper pipe on the front?
luke2152

posted on 1/5/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
I have to ask, what is the copper pipe on the front?

I used a quad bike radiator for the heat exchanger on the charge cooler and the outlets were on awkward angles. Couldn't make hose go around such a tight bend without kinking so I used copper. Probably need to hide it but not a high priority.

CosKev3

posted on 1/5/15 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just hope someone doesn't think its a towing eye!!!

Whats the spec of engine, looks well B)

theduck

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I figured it most be something like that, couldnt quite work it out though.
02GF74

posted on 1/5/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
That metallic coloured item is heat exchanger, air cooled by water?

Is there a reason why you cannot use an intercooler, i.e.radiator you pass air through? Would that be more efficient?

Lots on ebay, "£80+

Good effort by the way. Do a gew short vruns watching wayer temp and oil pressure and gradually ncrease distance, checm brakes for binding etc.

[Edited on 1/5/15 by 02GF74]

ste

posted on 1/5/15 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
It looks fantastic, well done on getting it on the road.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but it may save you some hassle in the future. Copper household pipe is brittle and not designed for use on cars so can potentially fatigue and split on you.

Have you thought about getting the top flange cut off the rad and weld a straight one on?. You could then face the small rad the other way round and have more direct routes for the water. You can then ditch all the 90 degree bends.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/5/15 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be out today in your area. U2U me this morning if your game!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

adithorp

posted on 2/5/15 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well done. Will you make it to Stoneleigh this weekend? Would seem like fate to get the reg' done just in time.

quote:
Originally posted by ste
I hope you don't mind me saying, but it may save you some hassle in the future. Copper household pipe is brittle and not designed for use on cars so can potentially fatigue and split on you.

Have you thought about getting the top flange cut off the rad and weld a straight one on?. You could then face the small rad the other way round and have more direct routes for the water. You can then ditch all the 90 degree bends.

I've got copper pipes on mine. I did worry about them fracturing but they've been good for 25000 miles so far. Having said that I'd be looking for a different solution if only for aesthetic reasons (would a 90' silicone bend give a way to keep it neater?).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

luke2152

posted on 2/5/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The zero radiator mounts are very far forward in the nose and I struggled with all sorts of options to get it to fit. I think Idealy getting the bottom one blanked and a new one welded pointing downward and 90 degrees back would tidy things up. The copper pipes are all attached by hose so they shouldn't see much vibration.

First drive was ok. Have a very safe map and low boost until I can get it tuned properly on rolling road. Still feels pretty quick to inexperienced me! Its overcooling a bit when I cruise because I thought I could get away with no thermostat so I'll have to come up with an inline one (I rerouted to coolant and removed the thermostat housing). No major problems. Not sure if I'm game to drive it to stoneleigh until I've had a few more runs to prove it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.