Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Body conversion idea - Moretti 750 meets Suzuki Cappuccino?
dickie b

posted on 6/5/15 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Body conversion idea - Moretti 750 meets Suzuki Cappuccino?

Evening all

Let me outline an idea that I would like to pose for general comment and feedback – here goes:

I like the idea of body conversions, particularly ones styled on sportscars from the 1950s / 60s. Sadly none have really been my cup of tea (but the forthcoming Tribute 250 SWB on a BMW Z3 looks the best yet)

Anyway – Below is one of my favourite original cars. A tiny coupe with a big name : Moretti 750 Gran Sport Berlinetta.

My idea is a full body conversion on the equally dinky Suzuki Cappuccino :

The two cars have near identical dimensions (wheelbase, track, width, length etc) and both featured tiny buzzy engines of 748cc and 657cc feeding power to the rear wheels. Interestingly, the Suzuki has been converted once before – see the link below to a Japanese ‘Baby Cobra’ conversion. Fascinating stuff and also demonstrates how the longer Suzuki doors (a main styling hurdle) and general panels were modified to suit a ‘GT’ shape.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/gallery/796/baby-cobra-suzuki-cappuccino/8215/suzbabycobra01jpg?

Other items could make up the period look of the Moretti : those elegant door handles would be lifted from a 90s Fiat Barchetta, the steering wheel is a Nardi MX5 wood rim, while the skinny 15” wheels share same 114.3 pcd stud pattern as MGBs, TR4s etc.. (the Suzuki uses 14” rims) . Headlights would be standard Mini lucas units. Many classics would also lend their glass for the main windscreen (series 1 lotus elan?) and side/ rear windows (or plexiglass)

The doors would need to be new GRP units hung on bespoke brackets (themselves attached to original scuttle pillars) but would recycle the mechanisms and close on an unaltered door shuts ahead of rear wheels (which is a near identical profile on both cars – go compare…). The Suzuki would retain its deeper sill height (the Moretti has taller doors with a minimal sill on view) but I don’t think that would affect the look unduly.

Of course all this is pure armchair engineering so far.. but at this stage of musing it is good to hear what other people think of the idea ! I don’t underestimate the amount of work involved to make a bodyshell either. It will be a lot, but an idea has taken root here.

(I know I know.. the Suzuki’s are renowned as terminal rust buckets… but the three cylinder turbo / low road tax / economy really suits the original Moretti concept. Besides, the MX5 donor is dimensionally too big…)

Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions. Lets have ‘em…

Richard

ettore bugatti

posted on 7/5/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that Moretti is pretty. Very pretty.

Blue is even a better colour:

If I want to avoid IVA you probably need the retain the Cappuccinos windscreen and frame. Comprimising the styling.

Other idea is to use a AHMG Spridget as a donor (engine, box and 'axles' ), like Westfield did with Eleven replica. 14" steels possible, 15" if you go minilites or wires.
Weld a round or square 50mm ladderframe, clay/shape GRP body, Mini windscreen. Done!

Thinking of it, a Reliant Kitten rolling chassis wouldn't be a bad idea either, 750cc too IIRC.

I do understand your thinking. I recently toyed with the idea of a Alfa-Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale replica based on a Morris Minor.
Now that would look good and go comparable well with a tuned 1275.

But I think period styling is only one thing. The mechanical experience of the technology from that era is another aspect in the experience.

[Edited on 7/5/15 by ettore bugatti]

femster87

posted on 7/5/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.brianclassiccars.com/showroom/item/1960-austi-healey-speedwell-gt.html
smart51

posted on 16/5/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of cappuccinos with rotten bodywork and sound mechanicals. Are you planning a stick on body (after wings and bonnet etc have been removed) or something more radical?
dickie b

posted on 16/5/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well the starting point for the idea was to emulate the same approach as the 'baby cobra' (see link in my original post).

This lops all the bodywork off the Suzuki (inc the screen and frame) and then metal fillets added to support the new bodywork that is placed over the whole car. A rotten Cappuccino would need plenty of repair welding, which is something I am less keen on doing but the modern mechanics /electrics really appeal.

The alternative MG Midget is a very good suggestion and dimensionally ideal, although I would switch engine over to a more modern unit (K-series or MX5.. inc loom etc..) but then again this approach starts to veer off the original 're-skin a suzuki' conversion concept. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The final approach is to source a space frame that would fit the profile but I am not sure there is any chassis on the market of such small dims /narrow track / north to south engine layout. Though suggestions welcome.

The real interest in this idea for me is to learn the skill of creating bodywork, rather than the mechanical side. The Tribute 250 SWB is really along the lines of what I have in mind but rather than trying to fake a Ferrari (and on first look the Tribute is a great effort) I am looking to copy a rare original car that is a) unknown and b) a really great looking shape with balanced lines, despite its tiny size.

Oh - and avoiding IVA is also a bonus.

ettore bugatti

posted on 17/5/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well, if you chop the Suzukis' windscreen frame you are in IVA territory anyway.
So if you would retain the Suzuki windscreen and side glass and adapt the Michelotti design to suit you are OK in IVA terms.
Aesthically you might struggle to get the low end design of the Moretti shaped in to the Cappuccino Kamm tail. Although a quick photoshop should answer this quickly.

The Moretti 750 Gran Sport Berlinetta sits on 198cm by 119cm.

http://www.asquithmotors.com/cmsincludes/image/vechicles/Shetland%20External%20(32).jpg
A Reliant Kitten has a wheelbase of 215cm and a track of circa 125cm. So design wise you need to put an extra 15cm length.
There are adaptors to bolt a Fiat FIRE engine on to the box.
Construct a simple support frame for your bodywork from steel box sections and fit your GRP body on it.

A Sammio Spyder (or what's called these days) body could be used as a starting point. The Fiat 126 windscreen would be a good candidate for mock up purposes of the roof part.

Maybe a Midget might be not so bad idea at all. But the rear wings are part of the monocoque, I think.

A Westfield Eleven has a wheelbase of 229cm, track is 115cm. So that might be too long as well.

Fiat Topolino would be perfect dimension wise(probably what Moretti started off with), but that is quite antique

ettore bugatti

posted on 17/5/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, rear end might be tricky indeed.

Otherwise, it is a good fit.

Front end is short, I dont know where the Suzuki radiator is postioned.

[Edited on 17/5/15 by ettore bugatti]

smart51

posted on 17/5/15 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
The front of the cappuccino is mostly air. The engine starts just forwards of the front axle line and goes backwards. There's little behind the bumper skirt other than the AC condenser. The rear screen folds into the body and is easy to remove.

That cappuccino line drawing has aftermarket skirts front, rear and sides.

[Edited on 17-5-2015 by smart51]

ettore bugatti

posted on 27/5/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Some nice evening reading here:
http://www.cliffreuter.com/etceterinimoretticliffreuter.htm

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.