Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie with Locost
harmchar

posted on 4/11/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie with Locost

Hi, been reading the forum for few months now looking for inspiration and answers to Locost ownership/building. Thought it was time to introduce myself and start asking some questions.
Recently bought an unfinished project 2.1L Pinto powered, bright green Locost built to Haynes Roadster spec. Chassis is really well built and happy with this part. Cooling system needs modified. Lights all fitted, but will have to check IVA suitable heights distances etc. Still have to fit fuel sender and gauge and a lot of electrical tidying up to do. Have now purchased the majority of parts to keep me going through the winter time. Hoping to be IVA ready for late spring, early summer.
Anybody in the Aberdeen area can advise if Aberdeen IVA test centre is Locost friendly?
Enough for now. Will try to post questions in the relevant sections (after using search tool). Please be patient. 👍🍻
Charlie

James

posted on 4/11/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Greetings,

Welcome to the madhouse!

As a Pinto engined Locost owner myself you've made the right choice!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

BenB

posted on 4/11/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaaaaaaay. I'd head on over to the narrowboat thread to find something to attach ye boat anchor to. Avast!

In all seriousness I'm sure someone nearby will come aboard at some convenient point with some local gen and whatever the engine I'm sure you'll come to love it.

mcerd1

posted on 5/11/15 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome
I'm also building a 2.1 pinto powered car (very very slowly.... )

Do you know what work has been done to your engine ?

-

harmchar

posted on 5/11/15 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys. Had a chuckle at the narrow boat comment.
Pinto wouldn't be my ultimate choice. But as a budget build that will sit idle for chunks of the year (due to Aberdeen weather not favouring a car with no windscreen or roof) it's a good strong chunk of steel that hopefully start when required. No fancy electric bits to worry about.
Didnt get too much details for what's been done to engine, but last owner said it had a lumpy race cam fitted that might not be suitable for everyday use. Moving the car on and off the trailer the engine was idling good with nice sound while loading. Not going to be messing with the engine until IVA is in the bag.
Just away back to garage now to check all the heights of lights etc. Think the headlights may be low, looking at photos of other people's cars on here.
Rear lights are mounted on the flat panel covering fuel tank so will check it meets minimum spacing regs. Notice most people mount them on rear mudguards.
Loads to do, busy winter in the garage.

mcerd1

posted on 5/11/15 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Pinto wouldn't be my ultimate choice. But as a budget build that will sit idle for chunks of the year (due to Aberdeen weather not favouring a car with no windscreen or roof) it's a good strong chunk of steel that hopefully start when required. No fancy electric bits to worry about.

It should manage that spec nicely, my donor had 151k on the clock and then sat in a field for ~6 years, all I did was charge the battery and it started first turn of the key on the old petrol ( that was the EFI version with lots of 80's electronics too)
The car then proceeded to fall apart around it - it was totally rotten....

I've stripped-down it down since and it didn't even look that bad inside despite being run on tractor oil for most of its life...

I assume you've got carbs on yours?
Remember and drain them if its going to sit for a while or you could get a build up of varnish inside that can give you headaches later.....

[Edited on 5/11/2015 by mcerd1]

-

harmchar

posted on 5/11/15 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Got a single carb of unknown type so far. After IVA might look at swapping for bike carbs or throttle bodies. not looking for top speed racer. But would like responsive throttle/revs for twisty roads up North. 😱
After driving TDi for last 6 years looking forward to blasting up the road in a lightweight nippy motor.

Just got back from garage after finding headlights are too low, front indicators are in wrong place and radiator cap is touching nose cone causing star crack. That's tomorrow's jobs listed now.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.