Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stoneleigh kit car show 2016
theduck

posted on 3/5/16 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
It was the lack of traders in the sheds that really surprised me. The guys where you can normally find any little switch or fitting that you need, they just didn't seem to be there. In fact the sheds was nearly all ab tools.
Bluemoon

posted on 3/5/16 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Went on Monday,

Considering the weather not so bad.

Arrived early Missed all the rain, Had a great time chatting to people and just left latter so missed the rain on the way back..

Daytona replica Made it worth while, yes not a chance in owning one but that was great to see, a very faithful replica.. The number of hours put in makes the price seam reasonable (!).

We managed to miss the worst of the weather, no rain on way or way back

Support it or lose it...

Dan

[Edited on 3/5/16 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 3/5/16 by Bluemoon]

SteveWallace

posted on 3/5/16 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by ste
Anyone see the ultima with 4 airbags?

And very nice they were too.

At least half of them definitely not OEM though.

richardm6994

posted on 3/5/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I've got to say once again the Robin Hood owners club did Stonliegh proud, a great turnout
Yes the weather turned bad today, my journey home was best biblical at one point.
Whilst the show was indeed smaller I did feel it was however ( in these difficult times) more focused and quality was (in most cases) exceptional.
In retrospect we are missing the basic affordable stuff but it's not a lost cause yet.
I do agree that we should use it or loose it

Paul, I'm gutted I missed you! Years seeing you on the forums but never had the pleasure of meeting face to face.

The RHOCaR stand certainly did the show proud. Over 100 cars of numerous makes and model, not just Hoods. We did burgers for our members at lunch and had our own hog roast on Sunday evening.

We're moaning now that the show is getting smaller, yet we'll be moaning even more when / if it disappears into history. Use it or loose it.

BTW, RHOCaR put on an end of season bash in September at Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire. It's open to all clubs (we get some good representation from the Jago club) and it will be our 4th year. The event is growing at a nice pace and its a good weekend break shared with like-minded petrol heads.

Go to the rhocar page for details and entry form for anyone who is interested.

FuryRebuild

posted on 3/5/16 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
My first time at Stoneleigh - I'd been to the Harrogate one a couple of times.

I liked the representation of some of the suppliers, and some of the stands were well laid out. On Sunday, Rally Design had a monster stand and lots of stock. It's a pity Hi-Spec didn't go for a larger stand, but I guess they fees they were being asked made it not quite so worthwhile.

The price for the catering is a difficult one - the pitches themselves can be very expensive (up to £2k for some events) and this invariably has to go on the price. I came down in a tin-top and got a good price for the bits I wanted, but at £15 to get in, it swallowed up a lot of my discount. If I'd come down in the fury I'd have felt better.

I'll go back.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 3/5/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Went down as usual Sat eve and stopped the whole weekend. For me it's a social thng more than gustthe halls/stalls. Had a great time with 12 JPSC members out for curry Sat night, Loads os club members there for the day on Sun and BBQ in the eve (about 12 again) Then packed up early Mon to save getting the tents/shelters wet, wasted some time in the halls until the rain stopped and headed home. Sorry to anyone who came around tothe JPSC pitch on Monday as it looked a bit deserted.
Sun seemed busier than the last couple of years (halls busy as early as 10:30) and more owners than I expected outside given the forcasts. Some notable absentees like Woolies Trim and Raw.

Cars of the show for me were...
Hawk Daytona Cobra to original spec',
the red Porker rep with Audi quatro running gear and twin zzr1200 engines
Nicks (raptor700) freshly IVA'd MK busa

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

SPYDER

posted on 3/5/16 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
I really think kit car owners need to start paying entry.

This will have to happen if Stoneleigh is to survive IMHO
Unfortunately, opinion is divided on the matter.
It's as divisive as the "IN/OUT" debate.
I'd rather pay for entry than have nowhere to enter in the first place.
Use the money to reduce pitch prices for the smaller traders.

Could someone set up a "poll" type thread along the lines of
" Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'll be voting "YES" to that one.

rm0rgan

posted on 3/5/16 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I found the stands to be lacking any real discounts or special offers...apart from one - a pair of winter driving gloves reduced from £39.99 to £15, however the stall owner didn't have change from a £20 note and wouldn't let me spend less than £20 on a card machine so left them to it!

Mad.

Sigs are uncool.

adithorp

posted on 3/5/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
Originally posted by ste

..." Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'd say yes... but then make camping free (currently £5) to encourage more to stay over for both days.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 3/5/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst wondering around,I was really impressed with the quality of finish,
of most of the cars on show, the only down side was the cost!

Not saying that they were not worth it or anything, but to most people,
a kit car is a second, or even a third car, and for me, most of those cars,
were just so out of reach, money wise!

Wandering round the shows 10 years ago ish ., there seemed to be,
just so much more variety, of types/styles etc, and just a lot more donor cars in mind.

The focus now, mainly seems to be in using new parts, this obviously raises the quality,
and also the price.

I saw a pair of seats on the Westfield stand going for, £300......
£50 more than the original supposed build cost of the Locost !!

How things change eh !

rdodger

posted on 3/5/16 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:
Originally posted by ste

..." Would you pay £10 to get in to Stoneleigh in your kit car if it gave the event a better chance of survival?"
as I don't know how to.

I'd say yes... but then make camping free (currently £5) to encourage more to stay over for both days.

I agree. Make it £10 for anyone and everyone and make the fees a bit cheaper for the traders if necessary.

sdh2903

posted on 3/5/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How things change eh !

Haha you should see the price on the westfield parts site, you'd build 3 of uncle Ron's locosts for the price

Adamirish

posted on 3/5/16 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55

How things change eh !

I too saw those. They were nice but with added Westfield tax. There were some grp seats there too at £175 each. I'm near sure there were some there last year at £100 each.

Nearly as expensive as a pair of cycle wings on another stand...... £400! Yes, that's right, £400!!!!! That was with £40 off too!

I fear people like myself who save money by getting my hands dirty are getting priced out of the scene. Look at the one Westfield kit, £25000. I'm sure it's a wonderful car but no doubt by the time it's built, iva'd etc it would end up north of £30k. That is a hell of a lot of money for a toy. It doesn't seem to stop people buying them though.

I did like the quality of the ultimate stand. They do look good in black. Show off the lines extremely well. The cars were ok too!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Riot Squad

posted on 3/5/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking as an exhibitor, it's interesting reading the comments regarding the Stoneleigh show.
The prices for a stand here are actually very reasonable compared with the likes of the Autosport Show, which is at least 5 times the price.
In the many years I have attended as a kit car owner and as an exhibitor i have seen a decline in the numbers of visitors, exhibitors and traders.

However this year was certainly different to the previous 4 or 5. Not in the numbers but in the people that were there and in the general buzz. On the Sunday it was busy as usual but the visitors to our stand were certainly a lot more serious and enthusiastic in terms of making a purchase.
Monday was pretty quiet by comparison (and with previous years) but again the visitors that came to our stand resulted in another really good day for us.
Personally speaking there seemed to be less dads and lads just visiting to look at the cars.

Talking with other exhibitors many felt the same way.

The kit car industry does seem to be changing, but if you were to ask me in what way, I would have to admit to being unable to say with any certainty. There are plenty of opinions and perspectives on this of course, but I would say after this weekend it does feel like positive change.

Part of this change is also how we exhibit, whilst static displays of some really quite stunning machinery is great, its so much better to hear and see these cars doing what they were designed to do.

www.Riotcars.co.uk
Tel. 01643 709330

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingster996

posted on 3/5/16 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this year was brilliant, but from a "hands up I'm biased" Westfield point of view.

Our club area had 160 cars on show on Sunday, which was an impressive turnout considering the weather. We had barbecues, lamb roast and free beer for members over the two days.

I admit that the smaller traders seemed to be a bit less than last time, but from my perspective it was a cracking weekend.

Even managed to dodge the worst of the weather on my 400+ mile round trip from Newcastle with a few other locals in Westies.

All in all spot on.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

posted on 4/5/16 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Riot Squad
Speaking as an exhibitor, it's interesting reading the comments regarding the Stoneleigh show.
The prices for a stand here are actually very reasonable compared with the likes of the Autosport Show, which is at least 5 times the price.
In the many years I have attended as a kit car owner and as an exhibitor i have seen a decline in the numbers of visitors, exhibitors and traders.

However this year was certainly different to the previous 4 or 5. Not in the numbers but in the people that were there and in the general buzz. On the Sunday it was busy as usual but the visitors to our stand were certainly a lot more serious and enthusiastic in terms of making a purchase.
Monday was pretty quiet by comparison (and with previous years) but again the visitors that came to our stand resulted in another really good day for us.
Personally speaking there seemed to be less dads and lads just visiting to look at the cars.

Talking with other exhibitors many felt the same way.

The kit car industry does seem to be changing, but if you were to ask me in what way, I would have to admit to being unable to say with any certainty. There are plenty of opinions and perspectives on this of course, but I would say after this weekend it does feel like positive change.

Part of this change is also how we exhibit, whilst static displays of some really quite stunning machinery is great, its so much better to hear and see these cars doing what they were designed to do.

Well done for posting and showing us the other side of the coin.

Shame it came with an "LB report banner" along the bottom.
Customers need suppliers and suppliers need customers. It's the way the world works.

Paul G

ken555

posted on 4/5/16 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well there is always this.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingster996

posted on 4/5/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Well there is always this.

Which is on at the same time as this - which is a bit of bad timing

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.