Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 return to neutral
pekwah1

posted on 27/9/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 return to neutral

Hi guys,

My gearbox doesn't seem to naturally return to neutral position for some reason.
It kind of springs back to middle when coming out of gear, but not between 3rd and 4th as you would expect, just wherever it wants.
So in other words, back and forwards seems ok, but side to side there is no spring or resistance at all, so obviously gears aren't the easiest to find.

I'm fairly sure that coming out of reverse, it does spring away, but not in the main gears.

Any ideas of what would cause this? I've already tried a new saddle but that made no difference.

Cheers,
Andy

nick205

posted on 27/9/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can't find any images online, but I'd have thought there are a pair of springs that centre the gear lever.

Have yours broken or fallen out?

pekwah1

posted on 27/9/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think there are on most normal gearboxes, but i don't think that's the case with the Type 9.
At least if they are, they certainly don't appear to be where the gearstick is, maybe inside the box somewhere attached to the shaft?

obfripper

posted on 27/9/16 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
In the tailstock above the rear mount, i don't think you can change it without disassembly and some new gaskets.
Reverse has a separate spring on the selector pivot.

Dave

pekwah1

posted on 27/9/16 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
brilliant cheers dave,

It looks as though i might be able to see it from removing the main cover, so will give that a go in the first instance and see if i can access anything.

Cheers,
Andy

sonic

posted on 27/9/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

just a thought are you running the std gearstick or the location extension kit? I had a similar problem with mine when I fitted an extension kit, mine went into reverse without any resistance so finding 1st was interesting.

It turned out that when I bolted the 3 bolts down tight it sat to low in the saddle, I put a couple of flat washers between the gearbox casing and the bottom of the 3 bolts and it cured it.

Maybe worth a try

Mick

pekwah1

posted on 27/9/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thought,
No standard lever and no extension, reverse needs the usual shove down to select so don't think it's that.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.