Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stoneleigh 2017
BrumBrum

posted on 21/2/17 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh 2017

Hi

I'm hoping to buy a kit car this year, I don't yet know if I'm ready to build or just tip my toes in by buying a used car to start with however I intend to go to Stoneleigh this year. I'm hoping that I'll be inspired and learn from some of you who have built and or just own kit cars!

Do all the manufacturers of kit cars display there? Do you get good deals on prices for kits and parts?

Is it a good place to buy a used car or do the prices tend to be higher as it is a national show?

I'm leaning towards something like an SSC Stylus (if they are still going tried contacting them without success) or a Fisher Fury.

Simon

PS Apart from dry days are any known to be particularly better than others at Stoneleigh?

nick205

posted on 21/2/17 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Went to the show a few years back and one benefit before you commit to a car or kit is being able to sit in the demo cars and check you're happy with the fit etc.

HowardB

posted on 21/2/17 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
there is always a good turn out at the Jeremy Phillips stand for Fury and Stylus cars. If I make it you are welcome to have a sit in my Fury

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

peter030371

posted on 21/2/17 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
The show is not what it used to be. Many manufactures claim they don't see a return on there money and so now don't go. In my opinion that's a very short-sighted view, you have to get your name out there to get the phone ringing and attending such a show should be seen as a loss leader not a profit making trip! I am in a different business but every year I invest a 4 figure sum in going to a trade show and we have never got a direct order (and I don't expect too) BUT we have had people 2, 3 or even 5 years later call us up because they had seen us at the show.

Anyway going off topic a bit. For all its issues its the best (and probably only) show you can go to that will enable you to get up close to so many kit cars, that includes the good, the bad and the downright expensive (well for my wallet anyway )

You may well see some Stylus and Fury in the club section (look out for Adi in his bright orange Fury....difficult to miss ) but I very much doubt Fury themselves will go and I have not heard from Matt at SSC for a couple of years.

I expect David from Sylva will be there if there with his latest offering

As part of the committee for the JPSC club I should go but can't this year due to other commitments

BrumBrum

posted on 21/2/17 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

That's a pity then that the manufacturers don't feel it's worthwhile to display. I guess it must be a tough business!

I'm looking forward to the show as a kit car is something I've been considering for a few years now and retirement is now here which will allow me to time to do something.

Hopefully the SSC Stylus is still available as this is my preferred design... this might change when I see cars in the flesh!

Simon

posted on 21/2/17 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Will there be a Locost, or better still a Locostbuilders stand?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 21/2/17 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
If your interested in buying a new or secondhand kitcar stoneleigh is a must Sunday is normally the busier day but it can be a bit weather dependant it's the onlly kitcar show where there a huge amount of cars on the club stands , it's not as big as it used to be but still a go day out .
BrumBrum

posted on 21/2/17 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really looking forward to going to Stoneleigh and hopefully spending some money: ) on something nice.
snapper

posted on 21/2/17 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've been every year, sometimes my kit car went as well
When I was building I always took £200 with me, when I had built I took £100 each time
The club stands are the unsung heros and well worth talking to the owners as all are helpful
INHO Stonliegh is the biggest and best of the shows an absolute must if you are contemplating, buying, building or modifying

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

theduck

posted on 21/2/17 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest spending more time looking at the owner built cars and talking to owners than I would the manufacturers.
BrumBrum

posted on 21/2/17 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Talking to owners and builders makes a lot of sense to me. Who else better to talk to than owners/builders!

I suspect I'll see how you do it and how you don't, both good learning points:-)

Toprivetguns

posted on 21/2/17 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's taken me 6 years to build my MK and I promised myself Id visit Stoneleigh once completed. Definitely worth a visit and chatting with everyone IMHO.
Also bring your camera, I ended up with over 500 photos which really helped with my car decision.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

BrumBrum

posted on 21/2/17 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ho yes, the camera will be with me!

Your MK looks very nice, great colour scheme. Will it be going to Stoneleigh this year?

theduck

posted on 21/2/17 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth investigating some of the clubs. Rhocar has good coverage nationally and although is primarily Robin Hood and GBS cars are welcoming of all and have good general kit knowledge. Also got reigional ones like SKCC that are very active too.
ianhurley20

posted on 22/2/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've been to this show at the last three events and also about 20 years ago. I found lots of suppliers and manufacturers there who were very useful during my build. I also found that I had to be very careful with car selection as some of them are made for very small people, particularly some of the older marques. I took a tape measure and measured cockpit width to make sure I would be comfortable and have enough room for my feet on the pedals (a friend who has a Tiger R6 has to wear very narrow footwear or else he hits multiple pedals).
I have now finished my build (an MX5 based Haynes Roadster) and am starting to collect parts for my next (a Midlana) and will go to the show again - to see what is on offer from suppliers and to see actual builds and get ideas of what I want in mine - and have a chat or two on the way.
Highly recommended!

BrumBrum

posted on 22/2/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's a good point about size. I'm just shy of 5' 11" and around 13 stones, I'm hoping that shouldn't be to much of a problem, If it is they have built the car to small

Is there camping at Stoneleigh?

[Edited on 22/2/17 by BrumBrum]

Slimy38

posted on 22/2/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Two things to note about Stoneleigh;

1. Always go on the first day. Whether it's rain or shine, there's always more of a turnout on the first day. I went on the second day one year, and the fields were empty and even some of the exhibitors had packed up! Admittedly it had rained on the first day so even with a sunny second day most had gone home.

2. They have one of the barns allocated to car sales. First time I went many years ago that barn was full of cars for sale. Last year there was a Ferrari lookalike and two homemade 'things'. Don't go there if you're looking to buy a car.

The last few times I have seen discounts on kits so it's worth taking a look. For example Tiger often do a special on their kit, and it's always nice to see what MEV have to offer.

theduck

posted on 22/2/17 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there is camping at stoneleigh and normally a good party on the Sunday night.
SlopeSoarer

posted on 22/2/17 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
So I'll book Monday off then!

Why not go there if your looking to buy a car?

[Edited on 22/2/17 by SlopeSoarer]

BrumBrum

posted on 23/2/17 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Spend too much: ) I guess!

[Edited on 23/2/17 by BrumBrum]

ianhurley20

posted on 23/2/17 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Quote - [It's a good point about size. I'm just shy of 5' 11" and around 13 stones, I'm hoping that shouldn't be to much of a problem, If it is they have built the car to small ]

Yes you will find a number of cars you will not be able to get in, particularly early Tigers and several others. I'm a bit taller (*and maybe wider) but I have been surprised how many I am not comfortable in - Westfields are ok with current models as GBS Zero GT and the old Robin Hood 2B+ as well as MEV offerings but that still leaves a lot that are dubious with room both width and legroom

stig mills

posted on 24/2/17 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
just received this from the organisers, new site now up;

Our brand new website www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk is now live! Go online to find out more about the show and to purchase daily or camping tickets. To make sure you reach the secure site, type the web address into the address bar at the top of your screen, please don't click on the site via a search engine as the security settings for our page will not be up-to-date on search engines yet. Share this post with other kit car enthusiasts. Looking forward to seeing you at the show.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.