Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: twin axle caravan trailer weight?
number-1

posted on 11/6/18 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
twin axle caravan trailer weight?

Does anyone have a home made twin axle caravan chassis trailer? Im curious to know the rough weight of one as they look pretty light. I know there are probably loads of variants, but just trying to get a rough idea to see if its something i should be looking at to tow a 380kg kit car but more importantly, manouver it into a single garage by hand with the car on it!

Cheers

N1

rf900rush

posted on 11/6/18 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Just finished converting on to carry a Glastron GT150 speed boat with a 90hp engine. The trailer does not feel that it is loaded enough.

Our last caravan (now stolen) was a Swift twin axle and it's total weight was nearly 1.8 tones.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miskit

posted on 11/6/18 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I used one to move the Fug. - Very light and was the only way to get car+trailer below the towing limit of my car. All the "proper" car trailers I looked at were 700kg. This one was around 200kg, single axle braked.
Sold it after the move.

[Edited on 11/6/18 by miskit]

posted on 11/6/18 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an Alko chassis and made the top myself. I did make another for a mate.

The axles are 1100kg each and I've plated the total as 2000kg as my car will pull 2100kg, so it can carry 1500kg ish.

With ramps, winch, and all, it came in at 450kg.

The idea was to have a drive on trailer that was no wider than the tow car.

Paul G

Transport wheels only
Transport wheels only

Description
Description

number-1

posted on 11/6/18 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies chaps

Paul G, those trailers like pretty smart! Do you remember the overall length? It looks like what i need

posted on 12/6/18 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Cheers for the replies chaps

Paul G, those trailers like pretty smart! Do you remember the overall length? It looks like what i need

The load area is 1830mm wide x 3100mm long. Total length is 4620mm.

The whole chassis is modular and I could have bought several different lengths and widths to mix and match.
The "A" drawbar could be cut and re-drilled to reduce the overall length. Wheels are 195 / 55 / 10.

A twin axle caravan will be longer but easy to cut down and re-drill. Just need to get the wheels in the right place.
Heres a pic with a car on, my sons track MX5, to give a better idea of size.

Paul G

Gaz's track car
Gaz's track car

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.