Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spyder Silverstone Build Diary
chris-g

posted on 26/2/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Silverstone Build Diary

Last year I bought a 1998 Spyder Silverstone. It has never been registered or driven on the road. I am now preparing it for registration and IVA. This is a rare car, one of only 28 ever made by Spyder engineering In Peterborough. It has a Toyota 1600 2TG engine coupled to a Toyota T50 gearbox and a sierra diff. Fully independent suspension and a very well engineered chassis.
Here are some photos.

Spyder Silverstone
Spyder Silverstone

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

My fist job was to make some boot lid hinges. The car did not come with any and they are not in production any more. Fortunately my friend has a Silverstone so I was able to make copies from that.
This is the original type of hinge.

Description
Description

and this is my replacement machined from aluminium alloy.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Next up was the brake fluid reservoir. It was fitted with Girling pots, the cap was missing from one of them and they don't have level switches. The master cylinder is remote from the reservoir so I bought a reservoir for a mk1 Megan, machined up pipe adapters and made a bracket for it.

Description
Description

Description
Description

One of the indicator stalks was broken and I was worried that they might sit a bit low for the IVA. I found a brand new pair of these at the Newark auto jumble for £4.

Description
Description

The engine was not running properly, the ignitian timing was way out and would not adjust to any where near what it should be. I went back to first principles and re-set the distributer/TDC positions. Turns out it was set up with cylinder four at TDC instead of cylinder 1 at TDC. That explained why the HT leads where plugged into the wrong sockets on the cap.
The previous owner had installed a pair of brand new Dellortos. My knowledge of setting carbs is limited so Geoff, another Spyder Silverstone owner, came over and set them up for me and got the timing spot on. A big thanks to Geoff for that.

Next job is getting the tanks and fuel lines compliment with IVA.

[Edited on 26/2/11 by chris-g]

SPYDER

posted on 26/2/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
In the light of recent threads regarding older kits with no registration let me assure everyone that this is a true "barn find".
I was approached over a year ago by the guy who "discovered" this kit. It was built over an extended period starting in 1988 and was almost ready to go when the builder died. His widow kept the car for many years and only recently parted with it.
Chris knows he has an uphill struggle to prepare the car for IVA but is determined to succeed.
He mentions the cars rarity. His interest in the car was sparked by his friend who already has one.
They both live within twenty miles of me. There can only be a handful of these "gems" left in the world. Strange that three of them seem to have gravitated together.
Chris's car is a late one in the short production run. It is absolutely split mint as you might expect. It has the splitter type nose cone and other small differences compared to mine. Mine is #12. My car looks "well used" compared to this one.
What number is yours Chris?

Geoff.

And just to add, you are one lucky, lucky guy!

[Edited on 26/2/11 by SPYDER]

chris-g

posted on 26/2/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff. Thanks for the comments and additional information. My car is number 22, by pure coincidence, my friends car is number 21. Like you said, getting through the IVA wont be easy but not impossible by any means. I am looking forward to driving it.
zilspeed

posted on 26/2/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I still vividly remember visiting the Spyder stand at one of the very rare Scotish Kit Car shows which were held at Knockhill on occasion.
Vic Moore was kind enough to spend some considerable time talking to a young lad (me) with stars in his eyes about all these cars that he couldn't afford.

I still have the information pack which he gave me and will never forget the passenger ride.
Nor will I forget the passenger ride with Chris smith of Westfield in the pre lit live axle Westfield. (The current model at the time.)

The Spyder Silverstone always has been and always will be one of my favourite Lotus seven inspired cars which dares to be different.
Just like my Sylva, at least in that respect.

==========

I've just realised that I've already bored everyone with story.

My apologies.

[Edited on 26/2/11 by zilspeed]

SPYDER

posted on 26/2/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The whereabouts of several Silverstones is known.
#1 was reportedly never a completed car.
#2 was the factory racecar, campaigned successfully by Vic Moore. I believe this one now resides in Andorra.
#12 is mine.
#13 lives in Toledo, Ohio, owned by Charles Schaub.
#21 lives in Nottingham, owned by the OP's friend, Noble.
#22 lives in Nottingham, owned by Chris, the OP.
There's one in N.Ireland, owned by Steve Morris.
There's one in the West Country and another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.
Three chassis turned up on US Ebay a couple of years ago. One had a BDG engine.

They were very expensive kits costing more than a Caterham at the time. This was probably it's undoing and the reason for the low production numbers. Chassis is second to none and a credit to Spyder's expertise.

Geoff

@Zilspeed.... come to Stoneleigh or Newark and take my Silverstone for a spin.

chris-g

posted on 26/2/11 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like Vic Moor is affable chap. I have some letters hand written by Vic to the previous owner. One thanking for his interest and coming to talk to Vic at one of the shows and other letters detailing the progress of manufacture of the parts.
That must have been one exciting passenger. Having read some magazine articles from the mid-late 80's, Vic was a very competitive driver.

The Silverstone was originally commissioned by Roger Cook the journalist. He wanted a seven type car that was a bit bigger than a Caterham. Apparently his car was broken up, not sure why, it may only have been a prototype.

zilspeed

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
#2 was the factory racecar, campaigned successfully by Vic Moore. I believe this one now resides in Andorra.
#12 is mine.
There's one in the West Country and another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.

They were very expensive kits costing more than a Caterham at the time. This was probably it's undoing and the reason for the low production numbers. Chassis is second to none and a credit to Spyder's expertise.

Geoff

I'll just add that one used to sprint up here, can't remember the name of the owners right now, but I beleive they still have it.

Regarding your exceptionally kind offer, I'm sure it would be nice enough to see the car and maybe have a passenger ride.
I'm not that great a driver (IMHO) and couldn't live with myself were it to go even slightly wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wasn't there one at Newark or Stoneleigh last year?? Probably mistaken but it may have been for sale, I remember reading about them in a magazine years ago and always thought they would be a good car ,
SPYDER

posted on 27/2/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
The one at Newark / Stoneleigh was probably mine. I've never seen another at any show in the last seven years and I've been to nearly all of them.
The one seen sprinting up north was likely to be Steve Morris's car prior to relocation in N.Ireland.

Smokey

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Silverstone

Hi,

I have owned two Spyder Silverstone's over the years and would be interested in buying a third if a good example comes up for sale...

Smokey

[Edited on 6/3/11 by Smokey]

[Edited on 6/3/11 by Smokey]

SPYDER

posted on 7/3/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Smokey!
Do you know the car's chassis numbers?
Can you remember who you sold them to or which area they came from?
Your not the guy from the pub who's Silverstone got damaged in a fire are you?
I recall that he had had two examples.

Geoff.

chris-g

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi Smokey!
Do you know the car's chassis numbers?
Can you remember who you sold them to or which area they came from?
Your not the guy from the pub who's Silverstone got damaged in a fire are you?
I recall that he had had two examples.

Geoff.

I was going to say the same thing.

There is a nice chap called Trevor who now lives in Andorra and might sell his car. He was having trouble getting it registered over there but its been a while since I spoke to him so he may have it sorted now. It was one of the factory race cars originally fitted with a Vulcan Pinto but now has a 230 hp dry sump Duratec. I think it has the doors with it as well.

Smokey

posted on 7/3/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff, Chris,

I saw Vic Moore in 1986 or 87 at Stoneleigh - they had the first car there to look at and I sat in it to size it up! I couldn't afford one of course - I was just dreaming.

The first Spyder I bought was chassi no 4 and it had the reg no Q514 KFL - this was not the one that appeared in the adverts and press reviews though - Andy Widnall at Spyder told me they used that number plate on a number of cars for demo purposes to keep the insurance cost down! The car had the 2TG engine bored to 2 litre and about 150bhp - nice to drive! I bought it in 1991 and can't for the life of me remember where I got it from - I got the lead from Andy Widnall - I have a photo with me sitting in it as 25 year old! (48 now) (I do remember viewing another one over Eversham way with a 2TG engine with a Yamaha head in it however). I kept it until 1995 when I sold it to buy a house and get married - yes, all the toys went back in the box!

Then in 2001 I called Andy Widnall again to see if he knew of any Spyder's for sale and he put me in touch with a guy over near Shrewsbury who had one for sale. This was a strange story - the guy who had it was commissioned to do some work on it but the owner never came to collect it - he had died and his wife didn't want to pay for the storage costs! So I bought it as a non runner with a Cosworth naturally aspirated engine in it (Not a Pinto with a cossie head on but a genuine steel cranked motor - happy days!! Well I knew someone who wanted the engine so I sold that (the Cossie engine is a Pinto in frilly knickers and is a boat anchor of an engine - really heavy) and got hold of a Ford 2.0 Duratec engine to which I mated an MT75 gearbox via a one off ally adapter plate. Before I installed the engine we moved house and guess what - we needed the money - correction my wife needed the money to buy a bigger house! So I sold it to a guy who is on this forum I think!? Don't know what chassis number it was - 20 something maybe

They kinda get into your blood a little don't they!

The car in the piccy's below looks brand new!

[Edited on 7/3/11 by Smokey]

Smokey

posted on 7/3/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
ps

Ps Iv'e emailed Trevor for some piccies and a spec....

Mark Robinson

SPYDER

posted on 8/3/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
.......................but the owner never came to collect it - he had died ........

This is starting to look ominous.
The guy that built Chris's car died too!

franky

posted on 8/3/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think its a great looking car
chris-g

posted on 8/3/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
.......................but the owner never came to collect it - he had died ........

This is starting to look ominous.
The guy that built Chris's car died too!

I didn't think you were the superstitious type Geoff?

Mark. Reading your story makes me glad to be single.

You are one very lucky chap getting own two Silverstones, I hope you are successful in finding a third. Keep us posted on your developments.

Franky, your car is pretty good looking as well. I like the idea of using BMW parts, lets face it, there aren't too many Sierras and Granadas left. I had thought about using a 318 engine and box for a future upgrade, the parts are very easy to get hold of from the likes of GSF and Euro. The down side is that from what I have read that engine demands big money to tune and I am not sure I could fit a M3 engine in the bay.

tony h

posted on 19/3/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
spyder

quote:
#12 is mine.

Geoff

mad-butcher

posted on 19/3/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
One of the most interesting posts I've read on here for a long time.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 19/3/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
How did todays visit to Spyder Cars go Chris?
chris-g

posted on 19/3/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
How did todays visit to Spyder Cars go Chris?

Didn't go, rescheduled for next week. I will report back with my findings on your adjustable wishbones.

tony h

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
#12 is mine.

Geoff

tony h

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Silverstone

As you probaly notic I messed up the last post so I'll try again.
Just joined the forum and thought you might be interested in the whereabouts of another Silverstone, had mine for over 20yrs chassis #9 originaly had a Toyota 2TG and T50 g/box,now has a2ltr Vauxhall XE with some SBD mods and a c/r Ford Type9 box with a Quaife diff (not really necessary but I had it anyway).
I use it all the time, I made some ally doors that I copied from a photo Vic Moore gave me of some prototype they were doing,they may not be as good as the ones Spyder made but they make driving it much more civilised and with the hood up most of the rain stays out.
Mine is well used and it shows but drives well. Never seen another one on the road but its nice to know there are others about, I'm situated near Loughton in Essex.

Tony H

SPYDER

posted on 20/3/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there Tony and welcome to LCB.
So another Silverstone comes out of the woodwork!
I've got a pair of original doors but never fitted them.
No roof either!
I've had my car for 7 years. It was in a bit of a state when I got it. To some extent it still is!
I replaced the original 2TG with a 2 litre 3SGE but I retained the T50 gearbox. It was a hell of a job. Lots of machining and one off bits. All worth it in the end though.
We'll be at Stoneleigh if you fancy a day out.
Please post a few pics of your car if you have any.
I don't suppose you still have the T50?

Anyway,here's mine........

Geoff

( Not trying to hijack your thread Chris, but it's becoming a bit of a Silverstone Archive! )

chris-g

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

( Not trying to hijack your thread Chris, but it's becoming a bit of a Silverstone Archive! )

Not a problem Geoff, I am enjoying reading and learning about the cars. If it carries on like this there will soon be enough of us to form an owners club.

Tony, it would be great to see some photos of your car and the doors. Make doors is on my to do list, although a long way down the list. My friend, Noble, took these photos of the doors that came with a car he went to see when it was for sale some years ago. It was a factory race car and is now owned by Trevor who lives in Andorra.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Apparently the doors and a hard top where going to be an option but never went into production. This explains the roof bars that came with the kit enabling the roof to fit over the tops of the doors.

Description
Description

This photo is the doors that came with Geoff's car but temporarily fitted to my car. Although they are not the right colour, I think they suit car quite well.

Description
Description

[Edited on 20/3/11 by chris-g]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.