Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spyder Silverstone Build Diary
SPYDER

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again!
Engine wise its really up to you. Many came originally with Toyota 2TG twin cam and T50 gearbox.
It is now Toyota 3SGE 2 litre 16V
You could use a Toyota 4AGE with T50 or type 9 if you can get one.
You could use a Ford 4 cylinder with Type 9 gearbox. Zetec, Pinto, whatever..
Mazda MX5 engine box??
You could be adventurous and look at BMW 318is engine.
If I was starting from scratch I would seriously look at the 3SGE V Vti 2 litre with 6 speed box from a Lexus Altezza import. 200+ bhp
Lots of options then.
I could measure my rear coilovers. Protech would make you some up. Not too expensive.
Steering rack is Mini LHD.
Rear hubs are Sierra drum brake type with push in driveshafts.
I think the driveshafts are Spyder specials.
Calipers and discs will be Triumph GT6.

So where are you??
Geoff

carsy4347

posted on 24/1/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Build !!

Geoff,
Thats great, im trawling fleebay, as I type !! And various pintos are appealing, maybe even a cosworth? This was my intention, when I first seen it !
I am just outside of Perth, scotland, and the car was not advertised, and I came to it by total fluke ! Always wanted one!
I have drive shafts (im sure they are ford sierra as the photos are identical), and looking at the photos of the LHD mini steering racks, this is also what I have got !
The car has basically lay in a garden for upwards of 10-15 yrs, with all the parts lying inside it. I really am surprised what bloody good condition everything is in, considering !
I will take photos of all parts tomorrow, and post them to see if they can be identified !
I have emailed Spyder Engineering tonight, but I will call them in the morning to see if they know anything about the history of the chassis etc, and indeed if they can supply me any parts required !
Cheers for now.
Pete

SPYDER

posted on 24/1/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete. Somehow I knew you would be hundreds of miles away. On the bright side I'll be near Perth in August on our annual holiday to Scotland. Blair Atholl to be precise. Been going for nearly twenty years! We always have a day in Perth. We were there in 2003 ( i think it was 2003) when there was a torrential rainstorm. Can you remember it? We drove up from Perth during the storm. The fields were full of swimming cattle. The trainlines were washed away near Pitlochry. We drove through the foot of a landslide on the A9 near the Tay bridge. Three feet of water on Pitlochry high street.
But I digress...
Protech offer good deals on a set of four shocks with springs, made to order.
I might have some front discs. I'll check. If you need wheels then no bigger than 6 X 15 with around 11 to 16 offset. Ford PCD
And the rear lights are from a Leyland Sherpa.
Look forward to seeing some pics.
Geoff.

Nissan 200 SX Engine & Gearbox Complete £500 | eBay
Nissan 200sx S14 Engine Gearbox Stage1 Ecu And Loom | eBay
Kitcar Ford Zetec engine MT75 gearbox | eBay

[Edited on 24/1/12 by SPYDER]

chris-g

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Peter. Congratulations on your purchase, glad to hear that you saved it from the garden. The chap who built my car was called Peter.
I think Geoff has covered most things. The shock absorbers are made by Spyder and can supply you with replacements and possibly some other parts too. The chap you want to talk to at Spyder is Andy Widnall. He also owns a Silverstone. As for an engine, I wouldn't recommend a pinto. My friend Noble has one in his Silverstone but he doesn't like it. A duratec can be made to fit, and a Vauxhall red top has also been fitted.
Are you intending to register it for road use? If so I recommend downloading the IVA manual and reading it before getting too far into the build. It might save you some work in the long term. Have you got wheels? Revolutions were recommended by Spyder and most of the Silverstones I have seen have them fitted.
Looking forward to seeing the photos.
Chris.

daniel mason

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
great thread! carsy4347. when you work out the forum,clean the bits up as best you can,take some photos,upload them and we will try to identify as many of your parts a s possible, and trawl the web for parts you may need top complete the build!
good luck mate. keep us posted

carsy4347

posted on 25/1/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Photos from today !

Gents, here are photos of what I have to work with so far !!
I can only pressume that as the chassis number ends with 003, that this is indeed the #3 car ! And as you can see, it has never been built !!

chris-g

posted on 25/1/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
She looks a bit sad Peter, but at least the chassis seems to in good order. The wishbones are nickel plated so might clean up, and if not I am sure Spyder can supply new ones, they are same the replacements for the Elan. Photo one is the rear hubs, I think there were made by Spyder. Has it got a windscreen and boot box with it? The kit was available in sets so when you built one stage you ordered the next set and so on. If the previous owner didnt order all sets that might explain any missing parts. Do you have any paperwork with it as there should be a order booklet that details the contents of each set of parts. Have you had any contact with Spyder yet?
Your chassis is indeed No. 3 and I think the other numbers relate to the date of manufacture. So it was made in January 1986.
Send me a u2u with your email address and I will see what I can send you in the way of build photos that came with my car.

carsy4347

posted on 25/1/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder Build !!

Hi there, Yes, it is indeed in a sad state, but considering it has lay since 1986, its to be expected. I have already done the wishbones, hubs, etc today, and all have come up like new !! Bonus !
It came with an assortment of plastic bags, marked stage , stage 2, stage 3 etc, but all have been lay in water and all parts are too badly coroded to know what they where.Yes,the boot box is there too.
I spoke to Sean today at Spyder Engineering, and he has been as helpful as possible, but he stated they had been burgled several years ago, and all records had been stolen.
We will get there though !!
I have established the manifold is for a ford zetec 2.0, so that is the engine I will be using, along with a type-9 box, or the mt-75 box, whichever get first.
Im off to the breakers yard in the morning to pick up a 2.0 zetec, black top, so hopefully I will get a set of wheels as well, to at least get the chassis rolling.

[Edited on 25/1/12 by carsy4347]

carsy4347

posted on 27/1/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Spyder Build !!

Firstly, a MASSIVE THANKYOU to Chris-g, for all the documents and folders he has shared with me, they have helped out no-end ! And continue to do so !
I have purchased a 2.0 ltr Black-Top Zetec engine, along with a 4 speed ford capri box from my trip to the scrappys ! I should be picking them up tomorrow or Sunday to begin re-furbishment of them. I have gone through, all my boxes and bits and pieces of kit that ame with the car, and now have a fair idea of what I need to at least get a rolling chassis.

If anyone can help with sourcing the following parts, or at least telling me which donar vehicle they came from, I would be very grateful !
1 - Front Anti Roll Bar and mounts.
2 - Front Vertical Links and Wheel splines ( I know these are from a Vitesse, but I cannot find them anywhere!)
3 - Front Calipers ( also Vitesse, but cannot source a set!)
4 - Front Radiator, or whichever one suits/fits
Those are the main pieces I need for now, to get my car looking like a car for the first time, and then I can start on the main work !
Again, if anyone has a list or anything of that nature, of the donar parts required, this would be most advantageous to me !
Thanks Guys !
Pete

chris-g

posted on 27/1/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
No problem Pete, glad they were useful. I am impressed at the rate you are cracking on with it. The front anti roll bar I think was a Spyder Specical, might be worth a call to Andy at Spyder, or Geoff might have an idea. The front uprights I think are used on Caterhams so should be readily available. The radiator is Metro, although the chap who built my car had one specially made. Geoff recently got alloy Metro rad for his Spyder. I don't know if there is a difference between the Austin radiators and the later Rover metro rads.
Try posting in the wanted section of this forum or have a look at ebay. Here's a starter for the front uprights, assuming they are compatible.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

TRIUMPH TR4/4A/5/6 VERTICAL LINK & LOWER TRUNION R/H | eBay

There must be a company out there selling replacement Triumph parts.

[Edited on 27/1/12 by chris-g]

SPYDER

posted on 8/2/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've found the numbers of the three Silverstones that cropped up on Ebay USA.

Latest chassis whereabouts then.........

#1 was reportedly never a completed car.
#2 was the factory racecar, campaigned successfully by Vic Moore. I believe this one now resides in Andorra.
#3 belongs to carsy 3437 and is being rebuilt
#6 built by "millhouse2" and exported to France.
#9 belongs to TonyH and is still in regular use.
#10 is in the USA, present condition unknown.
#12 is mine.
#13 lives in Toledo, Ohio, owned by Charles Schaub.
#14 is in the USA, present condition unknown.
#15 is in the USA, present condition unknown.
#21 lives in Nottingham, owned by the OP's friend, Noble.
#22 lives in Nottingham, owned by Chris, the OP.
There's one in N.Ireland, owned by Steve Morris.
There's one in the West Country and another was recently damaged in a fire. Can't remember where.

Longbody

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Having seen the thread, I thought it was about time that I joined in.
I bought Q367UWP from Temptedok some years ago and it still resides with me in Kent. It is quite right that I have raced the car in Northern Ireland and hopefully will again in the near future.
This car is Chassis No 2. I was always under the impression that only 23 were made and Andy W at Spyders has no 23. It is good to hear that no 1 may still be in existence - I was not sure it was ever a complete car - just goes to show what I know!
UWP was originally owned by Bob Savage and he clocked up the best part of 30,000 miles with it, with a Toyota 2TG twincam bored to 1940cc and producing about 150bhp. This engine threw a conrod during a race and I joined the Air Cooled Crankshaft Club !! Not conducive to continued forward motion. It now has a Vauxhall 2 litre red top in situ mated to a Ford T9 gearbox.
On the positive side of things, as my car is still road legal, but spends more time on the track than anything else - I may be able to help those of you who are building up your Silverstones with assorted parts that I have removed from my car, which will probably never be refitted
The ex factory race car, which is Trevor's in Andorra (unless it is now sold) was chassis no 4.

If I can be of any help to any of you - please let me know.

Steve M

PS - Geoff, is your twin master cylinder arrangement one that you have installed? I am running four pots as well and have had no end of fun and games trying to get the balance right and I'm still not sure that I have got it as good as it could be.

SPYDER

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve and welcome to Locostbuilders. Although my car has two fluid reservoirs it only has one "tandem" master cylinder which comes from a London Taxi, or so I am told. Does your car still have drum brakes at the rear or have you converted to discs? If your brake balance is too rear biased you could consider a limiter valve. I ran some AP 4 pots for a while but they were far too good and it was too easy to snatch a brake and lock up. They were MASSIVE though. Which 4 pots are you trying?

Geoff

I'll update the chassis list tomorrow.

[Edited on 7/5/12 by SPYDER]

chris-g

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve. Thanks for the info about your car, we seem to building a good picture of where all that cars. Have you got any photos of your car, we like photos
Longbody

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff / Chris
I have Outlaw 4 pots on the front and still have the Sierra drums on the rear. The Outlaws fit inside 13" Supalite rims. I am currently converting back to solid discs as the vented discs did not generate enough heat on the track, given that they are out in the airstream. The tandem cylinder is London Taxi but due to the 5:1 pedal ratio, was unsuitable for use with the 4 pots as pedal travel was excessive. I am now changing the master cylinder again as I had a solid pedal but not enough pressure, even with my size 12 leaning on it. By reducing the cylinder diameter and increasing the pedal ratio I hope to increase the pressure and minimise the pedal travel. I already have a reduction valve in the brake line to the rear brakes so can adjust the braking at the rear as required.
I will upload some photos, not sure what I have digitally but will have a hunt around. The car does look a bit tired at the moment and is a bit different to standard so when the current works are complete and it is tidied up a bit, I'll upload some current photos - if I can work out how to do it!
Steve

carsy4347

posted on 19/10/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Possible Sale of Chassis number 3

Gents,
It is with great dismay that I am contemplating selling my Spyder. I have achieved nothing with the car since the posts earlier in the year. I have since bought a nice fresh 2.0 blacktop engine, a 4 speed ford capri gearbox, and a few other new miscellanious parts.
I had no time whatsoever to get anything done, and to be honest.. My bikes have taken over my spare time. I dont want this car sitting going to waste any longer, and wish it to go to a good home for being built.
I am open to sensible offers for the whole package, so you if you know of anyone who may be interested, please email me on sniper4347@hotmail.co.uk
I have pumped nearly 3500 into the car, but the only thing I dont have is time, to put it all together..

chris-g

posted on 19/10/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Pete but its understandable, there is a fair amount of work there to bring the car to life and there never seems to be enough time to get it all done. If I had the space I would be interested in the car, it would make a great track toy.
carsy4347

posted on 26/10/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Having been thinking about the car quite a bit over the past week or so, my enthusiastic side has re-surfaced. I have suitably slapped myself, for even contemplating selling up !
I WILL begin to get things sorted out, and sent off for powder coating etc. It WILL be a rolling chassis by the end of the year, and perhaps the engine and gearbox placed. (I wont be too adventurous just yet!)

chris-g

posted on 26/10/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Good man, you wont regret it and its a good winter project. We all go through that phase of loosing interest and often more than once. Keep us all informed of progress with plenty of photos.
carsy4347

posted on 3/11/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Update

Ok.. So I have started to gather more parts for when I begin the build when I get home.
As mentioned previously, I have purchased a 2.0 Zetec blacktop engine and a type9 4 speed rocket box.
I got a set of R-1 bike carbs, mated to a zetec manifold, and am currently looking for a suitable stand-alone ignition system.
Herald vertical links, and a new steering coloumn (LHD MINI)
I have also printed off all the documents and photographs you guys sent through to me, to aid with parts recognition etc.
I have sent a few emails through to Sean and Andy at Spyder, but have had no replies as of yet.
Does anyone on here, have any spare parts etc. they do not require? ANYTHING?
Thats it for now folks..

chris-g

posted on 3/11/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts as my car came already built. If you need any parts identifying post photos and we will see what we can do.
In terms of ecu/electronic ignition, megasquirt is very well regarded, competitively priced and there is lots of info about it on the web and in these forums. Depending on which type you get you will probably have to get a Ford EDIS 4 module and coil pack. If you buy a brand new one you can specify it with a inbuilt coil driver, that's what Geoff uses on his Spyder along with coil on plug. There are other electronic ignition systems around so it would be worth searching on this forum for options and opinions.

tony h

posted on 5/11/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of discs and calipers that I took off of my silverstone this year, the calipers were rebuilt with new seals and pistons about 500 miles ago. The discs just have a bit of surface rust.
You said you have a pair of Herald uprights, the originals were fitted with GT6 uprights and I think you'll find they are different. The GT6 calipers definitely wont fit the Herald uprights the bolt spacing is different although I have the original caliper brackets which will (I think) fit the Herald.
If you google Canley Classics they show exploded views of all the front suspension for GT6/Herald so you can compare the
parts.
I also have my cars original rad which is off a Metro turbo I believe, and I have a windscreen frame which I am reluctant to get rid of but might be willing to loan out as a pattern.
Had my car for over 20 years so have a pretty good idea of whats what so if I can be of any help feel free to ask.

carsy4347

posted on 3/12/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Parts

Tony,
Excellent.
I am still away at work at the moment, but I will be in touch with you again when I return.
How much would you take for the parts that you have? ie. - calipers, brackets, discs?
You dont by any chance have the triumph to ford pcd hubs or know where there are any? I looked at the website you mentioned, and it is very interesting !
Send me a U2U with prices etc of what you have please, and included postage costs ! Unfortunately, with the distances involved, it would not be possible for me to travel down to you.
I will be down in the Hereford area mid-month on business, but I believe you are still some distance further south.
Thanks for now, and please do populate a list of what you have, and prices, then send it onto me!
Cheers

chris-g

posted on 3/12/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Pete. If you are passing Nottingham on your way to Herefordshire, feel free to stop off, there is a chance you could see 2 fully working Silverstones.
Temptedok

posted on 8/2/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
My old car, which Steve Morris converted to be a racer, is unexpectedly up for sale -

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/spyder-silverstone-1986/1042534

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.