Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: theducks build so far in brief
theduck

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know if its because my ignition timing is not 100% but that most certainly doesn't work. Started her up again last night and she starts with cold start valves used but needs revs to keep going. Tried to start immediately after without using the cold start valves and won't start even with revs.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 10/7/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough.

Is it possible to pick up some dead delortos to scavenge parts off - or are the Weber ones interchangeable?

It could be the timing that is the issue. Are you using a dizzy or a programmable one.

A friends pinto spins really well with a Megajolt on, as it has a specific setting for cranking advance.

theduck

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Standard dizzy at the moment, would like to go programmable but can't justify the cost on this spec of engine.

Had not considered trying to use the weber parts so will look at that and also look at getting a better ignition setup. On the note of ignition should I run with vac advance or block it off? I have connection on the inlet for connecting it.

Edit: just seen the new accuspark programmeable ignition, very tempting.

[Edited on 10/7/13 by theduck]

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 11/7/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Programmable ignitions make a real difference to a 25year old dizzy...

If you are planning to keep the engine, go for it.

If it's a standard engine it may be worth keeping the vacuum advance. Mine was tuned to 160bhp and had an altered dizzy with the vacuum advance disconnected.

theduck

posted on 11/7/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Will be a 1.6 pinto with 2.0 cam and twin 40s. Later on i'll change to a 2.0 pinto with fast road cam. Pretty sure I'm going for the accuspark unit as its half the price.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 11/7/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
2.0l pinto with an injection head, fast cam and twin 40s sounds like a fun package! Go for it
theduck

posted on 20/7/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just ordered accuspark stealth black box and locked distributor, should be here next week.
theduck

posted on 24/7/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Accuspark bits arrived today, look good quality and excited to get them fitted. Will report back how I get on
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good - keep us posted!
theduck

posted on 4/8/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of updates on progress so far today.

Fitted ETB rev counter and speedo

Unpacked the the new distributor with accuspark ignition fitted and mechanical advance locked out so that it can be used with the accuspark blackbox

Have fitted the distributor and will be wiring in the blackbox later.

Also for those interested in fitting a blackbox, below is my hand drawn wiring diagram. The manual is good, but isn't really written to accommodate people going from an old dizzy without accuspark straight to a blackbox install, so took a bit of working out.

theduck

posted on 4/8/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have wired in the blacbox now and after a faff got the software installed on a borrowed laptop. Software is very simple to use.

Don't pay attention to the figures, I was playing and have not uploaded anything to the blackbox yet, I need to work out what is a good base map before I upload it.

theduck

posted on 26/8/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, before anyone else says it, yes there are far more important jobs I should be doing on the build before what I have done today, but I felt the need to do something "visible". So yesterday an today were spent in prep and in carrying out some painting!

Because I removed the windscreen some filling was needed on the scuttle which meant I was always going to do need to paint it before IVA.

In etch primer

Mid-way through paint coats

Also painted part of the mirror base to match the scuttle leaving just the upright chrome

Gave the awroscreen a quick dusting of satin black and all reassembled

With this completed I decided to have a go at the nose cone.

Base of etch primer

And painted white

I think I'm going to mask off and paint the metal side panels in satin black, letting paint harden first though.

Pretty happy with the finish overall though think I may need another coat on the nose cone to get it looking perfect.

[Edited on 26/8/13 by theduck]

theduck

posted on 7/9/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bit fed up with the car at the moment, so decided to cheer myself up before settling down to watch the F1 qualifying

Might do some work on the cycle wing fittings once qualifying is over.

theduck

posted on 29/12/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not done a lot recently other than make an even bigger mess of the garage, so started sorting it back out so I can make some progress again. Also bought a clarke bandit compressor today as a belated Christmas gift to the build.
DavidW

posted on 31/12/13 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Try to get some time in now. It will all make sense when summer comes along again.

David

theduck

posted on 8/2/14 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Right, quick update.

- The garage is cleared enough to be worked in!

- I bought a caterham heat shield for the exhaust which fits but needs tweaking to get it sat right.

- I sold all 12 of my wheels and so the kit is on stands and the ones I was intending to fit had too high an offset and so went back

- I have ordered tyres (195/50r15 PE2s)

- I am ordering Team Dynamics Prorace 1.2 15x7 wheels Monday finished in, well, see below:

theduck

posted on 18/2/14 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Another bit of bling...

Also got a cracking ebay purchase thanks to Richard Stewarts clear out of the old robin hood lock up that I am waiting to turn up which will solve an IVA issue and also make for a neater result than what I had planned.

theduck

posted on 30/3/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Brief update...

Interiors done

There are a few bits that still need covering just to finish the look. There was also a few bits of wiring that needed to be completed behind the dash, which have now all been done and so everything works as it should.

and new wheels purchased and fitted

Theres probably been lots of other small updates but these are the interesting bits.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.