Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Speedo sensor
chrisxr2

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Speedo sensor

Hi all, Sorry if its in the worng section?? My speedo hasstopped working correctly, but i am boogered if i can find the speedo sensor to check what has gone wrong. Can anybody give me some close as i have looked everywhere i can without getting the car up on the ramps, not on any four of the wheels or in the engine bay as far as i can see, cant really get a view of the propshaft under the car without getting it up on ramps, Was hoping to go out to Skeg today but not fancying all the average speed cameras on the way with no speedo, hopefully sort it so i can enjoy the car for the week or so i am home before i go back out to the desert, but as i say if i cant find anything to faultfind i am a bit stuck . Its times like this i wish the previous owner still hung about on the haynes forums then it would be a bloody site easier to sort out.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

mcerd1

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
there are 3 kinds of sensor that are quite common:

ones that plug into the gearbox (where the mechanical drive would have been)

ones that are used to sense the bolt heads on the prop or driveshaft (magnetic proximity)

or the ones that use little magnets glued onto the propshaft - these tend to be cheaper and work well until one of the little magnets falls off - this seems to happen quite often once they are a few years old....

[Edited on 1/7/2014 by mcerd1]

-

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/14 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I gave up on my speedo, just leave my iPhone in sight with speedbox running which gives me a GPS readout the size of the display, then relate to rpm in gear.
Matt21

posted on 1/7/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hijack....

can i use the speedo sensor off a 99 cbr900 (the type that goes into the gear box), and stick a magnet on the prop, or use the sensor to pick up the bolts?

or do i need to get a different sensor?

I have a 97 engine fitted now that ran off the front wheel of the bike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.