Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Friendly Advice Needed
Padstar

posted on 31/7/14 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Friendly Advice Needed

Some advice please if i may.

I spent last winter fabricating a Haynes Roadster chassis based on the MX5 donor. With a 95% complete frame i decided that i would opt to grind down and get a professional welder to go over the joints as i was slightly concerned with the quality of my workmanship on the welds.

Local welders all seem to want £300+ and then the same again for a cage to be fabricated.

This got me thinking. Whilst i have thoroughly enjoyed what has been done to date am i best now suited to going for an actual manufactured kit (MK or similar). The winters work has shown me that i have the skills that i would need to build a car through to finish but my chain of thought is that i would have to outlay the guts of £600 to complete the chassis with roll cage if opting for a pro to complete. This would go a long way towards a factory suplied frame from one of the kit supliers. Would the quality and ride of a MK or similar be superior to that of a HR?

In short am i best cashing in what i can for the bits done to date to put towards a starter kit or chassis from a recognised suplier or pursevering with the HR. Some may say this is giving up but i am thinking about the bigger picture of the final product before i invest more money into the Haynes option.

What do you think and if a kit suplier is the way forward which generally is the prefered. I would still want to complete on a budget but with end performance more in mind rather than just pure cost savings.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

[Edited on 31/7/14 by Padstar]

coozer

posted on 31/7/14 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, strange one, what exactly is wrong with your welding? is it really bad or are you just not happy and therefore apprehensive of the frame?

Got any pics of the frame and your workmanship?

Why not get a ready built Haynes frame and carry on from there if your not happy with yours?

What welder have you got? The better the welder the better the weld generally. What I mean is its easier fro a learner ot get good welds with a decent welder. I was never very happy with what I got from a Clarke 150 yet moving to a Portamig everything became clear, easier and better results.

Good luck,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/7/14 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
As Steve hinted. Why not just practice more and get better at welding. The Haynes chassis is just as good as MK, etc

Even if your not happy with the welds, grind them back and redo. £300 for welding is crazy.

Cage wise, get the tubes bent and weld it all in yourself after you've practiced more.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Padstar

posted on 31/7/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a Clarke 150 welder. I had a few negative comments on the welds and being a beginner would be happy with it on non structural/chassis parts.

If the HR chassis is as good as any then maybe best stick to it.

What would you say is a reasonable price to pay for someone to go over all of the joints?

DW100

posted on 31/7/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a welding course at the local college may be the way to go?
Irony

posted on 31/7/14 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I bet for £300 you could go on a welding course and learn to do the job yourself. Or find a local friendly welder to teach you. Thats what I'd do, then you'd have the skills to last you forever. For me the building of my kit car has been just as much about the car as obtaining the skills to build it. I think I have learned more building mine than I did when I did a degree. The degree also cost more.

I also know where your coming from as I have completely built my engine myself from cobbled together sources both new and secondhand. I started it for the first time a month ago and its not running right, I am constantly fretting about it in case I have bolted something on upside down etc etc etc. Or its going to overheat, or the valves will clash, or the timings wrong, or I built the heads wrong, or the oil ways are not working correctly, the clutch won't work etc etc etc etc. Part of me wishes I just bought a built engine, but then again if it went wrong I wouldn't have a clue!

Padstar

posted on 31/7/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into this before I started but there were no evening courses to be found in Croydon so I went from the basic level I had been taught from school. I think it's ok just not very prity. My only concern was for the chassis being a fundamental
Slimy38

posted on 31/7/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
No guarantee a bad looking weld is actually structurally unsound, conversely you can have really good welds that have no penetration. I've done MIG welds that are on a par with top end TIG welds in terms of looks (in my opinion ), only to find that I had zero penetration and they just snapped off!!

£300 buys you a lot of scrap metal with which to practise and get good. It even buys a couple of train tickets or a bit of petrol money for someone on here to pay you a visit and give you some pointers.

Wheels244

posted on 31/7/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
If you do all the prep, bring it up to me I'll buzz it up for you FOC.

Might be a bit far to travel, but the offer is there.

Rob

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

Padstar

posted on 31/7/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer!

I think I will go with a bit more practice on scrap and post some pics showing penetration for comments.

Out of interest how long would it take a component welder to run round the entire chassis?

tegwin

posted on 31/7/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
To be quite honest with you. Having a decent welder will improve your welds no end.

Spend £300 on a proper mig welder with a decent wire feed system and a decent gas supply and I imagine the quality of your welds will magically improve.

I started on a clarke 150 and it was fine for 1-2mm sheet but it was carp at anything else.. I now have a cebora machine and its lush... I think I paid £200 odd quid for it second hand

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bi22le

posted on 31/7/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
After all of the hours I have spent reading on this forum I think there are two types of people on here.
1) the makers - they enjoy the idea of making something from scratch. They want and enjoy the journey of making a car from scratch. Sure they will drive their car after but almost for them the journey is finished and a new hobby is needed.
2) the driver - they can and do make stuff and will also enjoy it bit for them is the driving that counts. The track days, the week long trips and the bhp chasers.

I am number two which is why I will never want to build a chassis. I would fabricate many parts for one though.

What one are you?

if you want to hurry up and drive it then take the fastest and easiest route to get on the road. If it's all about the build then take a welding course and do it yourself.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Wheels244

posted on 31/7/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
To be quite honest with you. Having a decent welder will improve your welds no end.

Spend £300 on a proper mig welder with a decent wire feed system and a decent gas supply and I imagine the quality of your welds will magically improve.

I started on a clarke 150 and it was fine for 1-2mm sheet but it was carp at anything else.. I now have a cebora machine and its lush... I think I paid £200 odd quid for it second hand

Sound advice.

I've got a 210 amp and it welds really well.
Steer clear of the gasless ones - they produce very dirt welds with lots of spatter - ok for using outside where the shielding gas might get blown away, but that's the only time I'd use one.

Rob

Wheels244

posted on 31/7/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
Thanks for the offer!

I think I will go with a bit more practice on scrap and post some pics showing penetration for comments.

Out of interest how long would it take a component welder to run round the entire chassis?

If you've done all the prep and it was just a case of putting the earth clamp on and start welding it would take me less than 2 hours I think.

Rob

snakebelly

posted on 31/7/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
and if wheels is too far, I could do the same, I'm in Shropshire, just bung a few quid in the gas jar and make the coffee! As said having a good welder makes all the difference.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 31/7/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to buy the mk Indy which is currently on pistonheads for £2495.
It's already been IVA'd - just pull it to bits and give it a good clean up.
It says there's some chassis welding required - the benefit is that you can get a new bit of chassis rail from Danny and make it good again.

This advert is NTDWM but it's a bloody cheap purchase IMO.

posted on 1/8/14 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

If I may I'd like to give a "professional" opinion on a couple of points that come up in this thread.

Firstly, I would expect welding re-work to take longer than welding from the tacked stage did.
Many times on here we have all seen the phrase, "measure twice & cut once."
Well in fabrication there's another phrase, "the quickest way to do anything is to do it right."

Secondly, it's impossible to weld anything without some degree of distortion, shrinkage, twisting or "banana'ing",
so I would expect any original stress and misalignment could only increase when re-worked.
Much of this could be prevented by clamping bars on the back of weld areas, possibly to the point of packing strips
strategically placed so any bend was clamped out before the second welds were done, but then we are back to my
first point of re-working takes longer.

Just my 2p ( when I started welding it would have been my 2d )

Paul G

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.