Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Badge snobbery
Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Badge snobbery

Still exists,

Went out for a quick (well turned into 3 hours) blat as the suns out, called in a popular layby near Matlock for a coffee where 3 other "proper" 7's happened to be parked up amongst the plentiful bikes, got into conversation with several bikers who showed an interest in the bike engine install only for one of the "proper" owners to stick his 2p in and comment "pha its not a proper one"

Why ? I think the other two guys where a bit embarrassed to be honest and didn't get involved, didn't go down to well either when one of the bikers told him, "well I know which Id sooner have and it aint yours" I think he was a tad peeved that the cheap copy was getting plenty of attention whilst his mega buck proper jobbie was been ignored

Not encountered this for a good few years now but I'm afraid it does still exist.

CosKev3

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have seen this at a local Westfield meet I attended with my m8 in his MK indy, and his indy put the majority of the Westfields to shame looking at the build quality's and finish!!!

Were the ones you encountered Caterhams?

19sac65

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Its still rife unfortunately
I was at curborough sprint track a few weeks ago watching the lotus 7 club
Parked up in my westfield and they actually overt their eyes so as not to even look at it
Standing at the catering shed ime glad they didnt speak
What a stuck up load of prats they were
Do they not realise that caterhams are kit cars too

Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair the other two guys where embarrassed by him, but yes they where all three in catering vans, nice looking cars they where too I'm sure we could/would have had a lot in common and this one guy got past the badge and shared a bit of tyre kicking instead.
coozer

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've had this as well, was talking to guy about his Super light r400 and asked how heavy.. About 650kg.. then I pointed at mine and said super light? Mines only 520..

That was the end of that chat....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
some people have a very strange mind set.
yes they may like caterhams etc, they may like hondas...

me, I like cars
i dont care on the make, if someone has put some thought and effort into a car then im a big fan, even if i wouldnt own it myself (within limits)

to make a comment like that seems ridiculous.

r1_pete

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I get it all the time from the E Type purists, because mine has alternate carbs, edis and Megajolt, modified cooling fans, and more, can't wait to get the EFI sorted......

Its usually 'non owners', so asking for a look at theirs, and how it should be shuts them up....

[Edited on 12/10/14 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would actually say I have experienced actions from Caterham drivers that contradict this, but its been in a different setting. I have had quite a few older gents (standard Caterham owner ) come up to me and ask about my car on track days. They normally ask what it is and what engine its got before pointing out which car they were in and mentioning how "well" I was going. All very pleasant and nice track day chat.

I think its because the Striker really does look different (like MNR) and I am normally lapping faster.My car is also a mess, bordering poor condition on the outside, so I guess they see that I am not pretending I have a "real one" . I just play it down saying that I am still trying to improve the chassis and live the dream!!

TBH I am not the biggest Caterham Seven fan. I like the LM style car but I am very comfortable with my se7en and how much its cost VS pace. Something that road users dont value as highly.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I don't quite understand though, I didn't think Caterham's or Westfields were 'proper' either. Neither have got a Lotus badge, so saying they're a proper 7 just makes no sense. Are they tracing it back to some dim and distant event where someone bought the rights to make a 7-a-like?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Went to a Caterham meeting with a mate who has a Westfield and I was in a bike engined striker and most of the Caterham owners where very interested in the striker as most of them didn't know what was and there was less bike engined cars about in 2003 ,recently at a trackday I have a mix of positive and negative conversations with Caterham drivers maybe they where upset that I was quicker than them!!!now I'm toyota powered.
rdodger

posted on 12/10/14 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just other 7's it's engines too!

A few years ago I heard from a friend about his mate who bought a Vauxhall 8v engine Caterham to see if he liked it. He had the intention of quickly upgrading to a new SL if he used it/liked it.

One Caterham meeting was enough to put him off when the other owners turned their noses up at him and his car as it wasn't K Series powered. Very odd!

kj

posted on 12/10/14 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
How many of them could fix or modify them ?

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Benzine

posted on 12/10/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've not encountered much snobbery yet, but my car is usually in pieces

I'd quite like to convert a Caterham to diesel and turn up at a meet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
That's been a thought of mine also...

A diesel powered kit car
I think it would be awesome, as long as you don't go daft with the power/torque

has anyone tried this yet?

40inches

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21

A diesel powered kit car

There was a rebuild serialised in one of the Kit Car mags, a few years ago. The car was nicknamed the Wiesel.
Bet you can't guess the make of car.

blakep82

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
But caterhams aren't proper 7s, ie not a lotus, so I don't see why he thinks its any different

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
caterham bought the 7 from lotus to continue making it, technically they are the 'new originals' I guess...

just found a thread discussing diesel kit cars and everyone was moaning about the noise. I had a 'fettled' mk2 seat leon 2.0tdi, with a straight through stainless exhaust and it sounded absolutely bonkers!! it wasn't loud, but just sounded like a jet

02GF74

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its inevitable. You spend a shed load of money so you never gonna be happy when someone else has paid a fraction of that for a fake, be it a gicci handbag, poss aftershave, amrani suit or catteringham.

Wheels244

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had a bit of this in Helmsley, another bike meeting spot.
I stopped for a brew with my mate in my MNR, I saw a Westfield over the road and thought great, another 7 esqe car, I'll have a chat - you don't see that many round here. I went to raise my hand to wave, made eye contact with the owner, he just turned his back on me - I thought f**k off then stuck up t**t.
He didn't look the sort who got his finger nails dirty building.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

richardm6994

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Badge snobbery is rife....and having a Robin Hood I've encountered it many times in the last 11 years ...and on this forum as well so it's ironic to see this thread appear.....

I'm a petrol head as much as anyone, and a skilled designer and engineer to go with it.....but it seems that just because I dont go out and buy the most expensive parts and bolt them onto a more modern chassis, I'm deemed the bottom of the food chain (so to speak).

CosKev3

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A diesel powered kit car

User dinosaurjuice on here built a derv mev rocket.

Saw it go around Curborough, went well but looked a handfull with the amount of torque it was running

Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994 , I'm deemed the bottom of the food chain (so to speak).

I raise you locost, lower down the food chain than RH

Ben_Copeland

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994 , I'm deemed the bottom of the food chain (so to speak).

I raise you locost, lower down the food chain than RH

I see the same when I say Haynes Roadster to people.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Benzine

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
just found a thread discussing diesel kit cars and everyone was moaning about the noise. I had a 'fettled' mk2 seat leon 2.0tdi, with a straight through stainless exhaust and it sounded absolutely bonkers!! it wasn't loud, but just sounded like a jet

Yeah a diesel sounds nice on song with a straight through. Yes people will moan about the noise I like the sound of a diesel though, even at idle. I've got some vids of my kit with a diesel in it. They're pretty naff videos but I have fun making them.

snapper

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I have to throw this in
I have a Robin Hood and have seen badge snobbery on this site

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.