New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Badge snobbery
prawnabie

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Sorry I have to throw this in
I have a Robin Hood and have seen badge snobbery on this site

What about the "Saw this fugly thing on eBay" threads..

Anyone who has the knackers to drive round in a contraption they have built in their shed gets the thumbs up from me.

gremlin1234

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyone who has the knackers to drive round in a contraption they have built in their shed gets the thumbs up from me.
I would add, "and gets it road legal"
edit: or track

[Edited on 12/10/14 by gremlin1234]

Andi

posted on 12/10/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
That's been a thought of mine also...

A diesel powered kit car
I think it would be awesome, as long as you don't go daft with the power/torque

has anyone tried this yet?

There is a robin hood one that runs on veg oil. He burnt loads of the sevens off on a trackday.
He did make everyone feel humgry when he went past though.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/10/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I find that Caterham owners seem to have complex and have to try to prove what they have is best at every turn. It's easier to just ignore them.

I once ended up on a Caterham track day at Castle Combe in my old BMW 320 track hack, myself and a guy with a scrappy ward rescued Fiat Brava were the only tin tops there, at lunch time the course clerk/organiser asked us to keep away from the Caterhams as many of the Caterham owners said that we were bullying our way past them. Anyone who has a Caterham on track and can't keep up with a £250 20 year old BMW estate and rusty Fiat Brava on budget tyres is a bit special.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
anthony1

posted on 12/10/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
badge snobbery......

My very first post on this site........I dared to suggest that I thought that the quality of the MK Indy I now own was as good as both the Westfield and the Caterham that I had owned in the past..........greeted by another person who replied that he , laughed out loud , because I made that suggestion , then somehow justified this by saying that both of my previous vehicles must have been poor examples..........so yes I am afraid badge snobbery is alive and unwell on this site too!!!!!!
ali f27

posted on 12/10/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dont worry about the carbon fibre jockys they drive allsorts of cars what you need is a hosson boula
nick205

posted on 12/10/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21

me, I like cars
i dont care on the make, if someone has put some thought and effort into a car then im a big fan, even if i wouldnt own it myself (within limits) to make a comment like that seems ridiculous.

Spot on!

spaximus

posted on 12/10/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
All snobbery is are the insecurities of the person who makes the snide comments. It is alive and well in all walks of life.

I have seen people look down their noses at Robin Hoods for example, but to build one of those takes a bit more skill than other kit cars as they were never as developed as more expensive kits were, that in my mind lifts the builder somewhat and the acheivment. The same way as building your own chassis is proper engineering so why someone who has just bought something should feel a cut above is stupid.

There was an article in the Practical Classic mag where they were saying why do some feel the need to always aspire to an expensive classic, is it so they fell their status has gone up?

I like engineering, if it has an engine and at least one wheel, then I treat everyone the same. If people want to be snobby with me it is their loss not mine

ali f27

posted on 12/10/14 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think it all depends on wether you wear your car or want something that is yours and indivdual me i like them all and have seen some very good build quality cars of all makes i once had somebody looking over my carbon fibre mirrors and admiring them never looked at rest of car they are fake rubbish cheap but lite
19sac65

posted on 13/10/14 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
So it seems that its just general snobbery then,not really badge related
Most 7 owners are great blokes,a few are assholes
Ive got a westfield and would never turn my nose up at anyone elses car
Ime interested in what theyve got in it,did they build it etc - not how much it cost
There are owners on the westfield forum that tirn tbeir noses up at other westfields if its not got 300bhp and trick gearbox
Others will bend over backwards to help you out
You think 7s are bad,have a chat to an ultima owner !!!

jwhatley

posted on 13/10/14 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had this at a track day a month or two ago.

One guy with an R500, two with CSR's. All of them had this attitude around them in the morning when looking at my car, they wouldn't talk to me but happily walked around it pointing at bits in a huddle and discussing!

Over herd one of the guys saying - Has it got slicks on it to make him go faster to keep up?

Anyway, out on track - The R500 Managed 4 laps before red flagging the session after the throttle cable snapped, and the CSR's got a lesson on being overtaken... numerous times!

After coming back in, there mood had changed.... Asking what engine it had in it, and who set it up, as it was so flat through the corners.... Left me smiling for the rest of the day.

Obviously, whilst walking around the car being critical, they missed the effing big turbo..

CosKev3

posted on 13/10/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwhatley

Over herd one of the guys saying - Has it got slicks on it to make him go faster to keep up?

Bet that was a great feeling after them talking crap like that!!!

Funny that they picked probably one of the fastest/most powerful seven types to have a go at!

designer

posted on 13/10/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Badge snobbery is rife....and having a Robin Hood I've encountered it many times in the last 11 years ...and on this forum as well so it's ironic to see this thread appear.....

As a 2B owner, and other kits at the same time, I have to totally agree.m It's just as bad on here!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 13/10/14 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
since mine's not on the road yet I've not really met any "real 7" owners yet....

but I have already come across some engine snobbery with a few petrolheads when discussing what I'm (very slowly) building
I've found that quite a few people who aren't involved in kitcars seem to have heard of Dax Rush's and get very excited until I say mines got a pinto in it - then some of them have just shaken there heads and walked away with that 'its not even worth speaking to you anymore' look....

I'm well used to the 'boat anchor' jokes, but to these folk a dax rush just isn't worth bothering with unless its got a 4.0 V8 / cossie YB / turbo busa

quote:
Originally posted by spaximusI have seen people look down their noses at Robin Hoods for example, but to build one of those takes a bit more skill than other kit cars as they were never as developed as more expensive kits were, that in my mind lifts the builder somewhat and the achievement.
I have to admit I'm really not a fan of some of the Robin Hoods having had the chance to look closely at a few of them as they were being built (a Cortina based s3 stainless thingy and a couple of 2B's and one of the alloy ones)
But I've also seen the same models completed to a very high standard - which is all the more amazing considering what they started from and gives me a lot of respect for the skill of the builder !

at the other end of the price scale I got a chance to have a good look over an R400 racer - I know they perform, but honestly I wasn't that impressed with the engineering of the thing especially given its price tag!

-

MsD

posted on 14/10/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive taken this from a Caterham & Lotus 7 Owners Facebook page..

Welcome to the Caterham & Lotus 7 Owners Group.

'Please feel free to post photographs, information, 7 related items for sale, news and views.

Please note that this is a group for Seven owners - Westfield's and Locost cars are not Sevens.

Please keep interaction with other users friendly and respectful. Have fun!!'

Now I understand that they want to keep it to caterhams and lotus's.. but to say that westfield etc aren't 7's is a pretty moronic statement!

Mark.

CosKev3

posted on 14/10/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsD
Ive taken this from a Caterham & Lotus 7 Owners Facebook page..

Welcome to the Caterham & Lotus 7 Owners Group.

'Please feel free to post photographs, information, 7 related items for sale, news and views.

Please note that this is a group for Seven owners - Westfield's and Locost cars are not Sevens.

Please keep interaction with other users friendly and respectful. Have fun!!'

Now I understand that they want to keep it to caterhams and lotus's.. but to say that westfield etc aren't 7's is a pretty moronic statement!

Mark.

Holy shit, what a bunch of c#nts!

scootz

posted on 14/10/14 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsD

Mark.

Not sure why you'd find that moronic!? He's right! Only Lotus and and Caterham made Sevens. The rest are 'Seven-Style' cars.

Now go and enjoy whatever it is you drive and forget about what anyone else thinks!

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, Jon's car is embarrassing...

...I'm embarassed every time it dissapears into the distance in front of me.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

ali f27

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I agree Scoots mind you i have an f27 and go out for rides on my own
Andy D

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only Lotus and and Caterham made Sevens.

..and Austin?

bigfoot4616

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
showing your age again there andy
Andy D

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
showing your age again there andy

Well, there were Minis badged as sevens .. and an earlier one.. I don't know that much about the earlier one.

[Edited on 14/10/14 by Andy D]

ali f27

posted on 14/10/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to take a wheel of mine the trike boys seem friendly
scudderfish

posted on 14/10/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have fun on an Elise site suggesting that the VX220 was a Lotus given it was made in Hethel and the engine had been worked on by Lotus (unlike the bog standard K series in the Elise). I had people say that categorically, the badge on the front was more important than the car underneath it. Mind you, you only had to say 'S2 is better than S1' and you'd get a 10 page flamewar.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.