Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rough cost for aluminium welding
Slimy38

posted on 4/1/15 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rough cost for aluminium welding

Can anyone suggest how much it might cost to weld in the sunken letters on an MX5 cam cover? It wouldn't need to be cleaned up as I'd be looking at polishing the whole cover anyway, but it would need to be welded due to the temperature changes (filler would last a few minutes at most).
teegray19

posted on 4/1/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, if you wanted to post it up to us we have TIG facilities and would return for a small amount and the postage.

Drop me a u2u if you want to discuss further. Cheers

Built Formular 27 with 1600cc crossflow, 1700cc 0 miles crossflow, Kawasaki ZZR1100

luke2152

posted on 4/1/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
the 1.8 covers have raised letters and you could just grind them off. I think they fit the 1.6
PorkChop

posted on 4/1/15 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
the 1.8 covers have raised letters and you could just grind them off. I think they fit the 1.6

No they don't. The 1.8 block is longer than the 1.6.

I know of someone a bit closer to home that might be willing to do the welding job, but don't know how much they would charge.

[Edited on 4/1/15 by PorkChop]

luke2152

posted on 4/1/15 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152

No they don't. The 1.8 block is longer than the 1.6.

I know of someone a bit closer to home that might be willing to do the welding job, but don't know how much they would charge.

[Edited on 4/1/15 by PorkChop]

OK my bad. Sounds like a good excuse for a 1.8 swap

snakebelly

posted on 4/1/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I can recommend a mate in Shrewsbury pm me if you want details
02GF74

posted on 4/1/15 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Lumiweld? Place cover on gas hob and withe additional heat from a blow torch, you may get the cover hot enough to melt the "solder".

Note that it is different colour but if you are painting, it wont matter.

ashg

posted on 5/1/15 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's all well and good welding it but then it's going to warp a bit from the welding so factor in skimming it flat again so you don't have constant oil leaks.

I would say £40-50 to weld it then £30-40 to skim the oil seal serface flat again.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

FASTdan

posted on 5/1/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
It's all well and good welding it but then it's going to warp a bit from the welding so factor in skimming it flat again so you don't have constant oil leaks.

I would say £40-50 to weld it then £30-40 to skim the oil seal serface flat again.

I'd be very surprised if blobbing in a few letters caused any significant distortion in a cam cover.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 5/1/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Screw it down to a bit of plywood before welding and it should be okay.

Do not underestimate the strength of a decent epoxy resin, mix up some araldite with ali fillings, fill, sand flat and hit with some black crackle paint.

Slimy38

posted on 5/1/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Screw it down to a bit of plywood before welding and it should be okay.

Do not underestimate the strength of a decent epoxy resin, mix up some araldite with ali fillings, fill, sand flat and hit with some black crackle paint.

I'm more concerned about the hot and cold cycles, I'd almost prefer to leave the letters alone than have a cracked outline after 500 miles. Would Araldite be able to tolerate it?

mark chandler

posted on 5/1/15 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's pretty tough stuff, dave vizard used it to build up ports on pinto heads in his book so should be okay.

I have used JB weld, same stuff really to block the noise ports on my supercharger and it's been fine for a couple of years.

If you cut some bits of ali that are a good fit then glue them in, smooth and paint, if properly prepared it should last well.

snakebelly

posted on 5/1/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Loctite 3450 would probably do the job fine.
HTH

ashg

posted on 6/1/15 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
I used jb weld to make a cam sensor that sits under the cam cover covered in hot oil. Hasn't failed in over 4 years so must be fine. Surface prep is the key.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

richardm6994

posted on 6/1/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done some welding on a MX5 cam cover......and a few weeks ago I also did some machining on a different MX5 cam cover.

Both covers shared the same likeness......the cast ali is very poor quality, very porous and paper thin in many areas......welding a breather outlet was hard enough so I wouldn't fancy the task of welding over the sunken letters....full credit to anyone who undertakes this work

IMHO, do what others have said....use liquid metal filler. JB weld is great stuff.

Slimy38

posted on 6/1/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
I've just done some welding on a MX5 cam cover......and a few weeks ago I also did some machining on a different MX5 cam cover.

Both covers shared the same likeness......the cast ali is very poor quality, very porous and paper thin in many areas......welding a breather outlet was hard enough so I wouldn't fancy the task of welding over the sunken letters....full credit to anyone who undertakes this work

IMHO, do what others have said....use liquid metal filler. JB weld is great stuff.

That's really appreciated, thanks. I didn't even consider the quality of the cam cover itself.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.