Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: lift in garage
beaver34

posted on 19/2/15 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
lift in garage

ive moved house and have a large garage to keep some of my cars in

ive had an idea that if i fit a 2 post lift i can store a car up there and one underneath, is this viable?

if so can i get a 2 post lift on normal single phase and any thing i should be aware of?

i need to check the height but im sure they will both fit one is a 7 the other underneath an elise.

adithorp

posted on 19/2/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
How much hieght do you have?

With a screw operated 2 post, you'd just need the max height of the lift arms plus your 7. If it was a cable/hydralic, then the ram is in one of the posts and extends upward as you lift; So it ends up (almost) twice the posts original height when the car is at the top.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DW100

posted on 19/2/15 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yes perfectly viable.

electro-hydraulic lifts work better than screw lifts on single phase. The lifts I have don't have a ram that pops out the top.

If buying second hand make sure that it has locks to lock the arms into place and that they are working correctly and don't forget to engage the mechanical lock to ensure the lift creep down over night.

[Edited on 19/2/15 by DW100]

mark chandler

posted on 19/2/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I did this a couple of years ago, I purchased a zippo screw lift off eBay and replaced the 3hp three phase motor with a 4hp single phase.

Had to reconfigure the roof structure as it had trusses, bolted and glued timber across the trusses higher up, braced to the ends and chopped out to give more height.

I wanted a screw lift as really nothing to go wrong provided the nuts and spindles are in good condition as these are £££

Look for an old lift with wide feet that extend beyond the reach of the arms, all the new ones need heavy reinforced concrete as they stand on 8" pads, my old zippo is rated at 4000kg and is just bolted to the floor, it cannot tip over even if I put all the weight at one end on full extension of the arms.

My little car and trailer live on this above my other car, it's great for doing brakes, suspension on everything I own, worth every penny and does not take up a lot of space.

I have heavy tails from the fuse box with a 30 amp RCD just like a cooker or Emersion heater, you need the right breaker, class b I think it is as they trip slower so handle the motor on start up. Motor was £150.

Note the big feet, draining the oil.

Car and trailer loaded up

Revised roof structure, adds a couple of feet, got the wood delivered from a saw mill, big long lengths.

I braced 4 trusses, just chopped out 2 where the car goes, you can see an uncut truss in the rear with a big bit of timber bolted to it.

Total cost was around £700

[Edited on 19/2/15 by mark chandler]

beaver34

posted on 19/2/15 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
How much hieght do you have?

With a screw operated 2 post, you'd just need the max height of the lift arms plus your 7. If it was a cable/hydralic, then the ram is in one of the posts and extends upward as you lift; So it ends up (almost) twice the posts original height when the car is at the top.

i need to measure tonight, its higher than a normal garage but not sure its going to be a squeeze

mark chandler

posted on 19/2/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Two post = post + motor, you could sling the motor by the post reduce this, you could also shortern the spindles and post height if needed as it is a very basic system.

Cars are not that high, with just the little car on mine puts it 6' above my head so even with a low height it is a practical way of doubling your garage capacity for cars as the car to go up is low.

beaver34

posted on 19/2/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Mark

think i need to look on eBay for something s/h

feel free to advice!

pewe

posted on 19/2/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea - if only I had the room......
BTW Mark just be careful about the lift nuts and relying on them totally.
Our Volvo 760 Estate came to grief some years ago when the local garage was lowering it after rectifying a handbrake problem. Whilst being lowered one nut failed and tipped the old girl on her side before her crashing to the floor.
Fortunately no-one hurt but happened so fast there would have been no escape if there had been someone underneath.
I appreciate they should all have fail-safes built in but in that case seemingly it was outside the scope of the fail-safe.
The lift had reputedly been inspected only a couple of months previously.
Alternative of course is a pit but there again they are known to be hazardous....
Cheers, Pewe.

mark chandler

posted on 19/2/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
It is a worry, your garage must have been working off the safety nuts!

I purchased a couple of new spindles last year so will be stripping my lift down and refurbishing it, the spindles should have square shouldered threads, once they start looking like ordinary threads they have had it.

Look at the threads at both ends of the travel and compare to the middle.

You should have two nuts, the load nuts and safety nuts which are separated by maybe 1/2", have a Google for the correct measurement on the lift you view. If the nuts are together, one directly on top of the other the load nut has failed which could be why they are selling, load nuts are around £150 each.

I pulled the nuts on mine a couple of months ago, still plenty of meat but they have worn to the spindle so need to go as well.

My friend runs a landrover garage, he purchased a new snapon lift which was useless, the arms sagged and it failed very quickly dropping a car after only 3 months! It was a hydraulic type lift, he regretted not refurbishing the old Bradbury lift it replaced, landrovers are light, it was a 3000kg lift, he now has a new 5000kg for the same job.

Even now it does not lift evenly after many service visits.

IMHO you are better off spending £500 on an old quality lift and refurbishing it than getting a chinese lift for £1,100 new off ebay, it will have big feet to spread the load and more robust arms, I struggled to even drill the metal that my zippo is made of to bolt an RCD on it, needed colbat drills as HSS rounded off!

My lift picks up my v70, struggles with the DB7 because of friction on the nuts, splash some EP 90 on the threads and it works well but at 30 years of age it's to be expected.

Making the electrics work was fun and games with the high amp solinodes, had to draw it all out to put a reverse on the windings of the motor, it would have been easy to use a reverse switch and one button.

theduck

posted on 19/2/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
As great as pits are, they don't help with extra vehicle storage
rusty nuts

posted on 19/2/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
As great as pits are, they don't help with extra vehicle storage

Why? I've seen a Reliant three wheeler in a pit

beaver34

posted on 23/2/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
any one know the best way to convert something like this to single phase

Cascos 2 Post Car Lift 2500Kg

also what type it is? im not clued up on garage equipment

thanks

DW100

posted on 23/2/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Its a screw lift. Looks quite old and well used.

You will need a reversible single phase motor. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you more about this than I can.

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/15 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's a screw lift, quite useful that the legs swing 180 degrees.

It has small feet so the load on your garage floor will be large, I would want to extend these before planting on your non re-inforced garage floor.

Wiring the motor is easy enough or get an invertor but it will need to be a big one !

As my post above, check nuts and spindles before committing, having an inverted motor is a plus for limited height go and view, take a heavy car and see if it groans when lifting.

It does look pretty good from here, I would be tempted and take cash with you with a view to cancelling the auction.

They are very heavy, has he a fork lift or hiab to place on your trailer, I used my trailer winch to stand mine up

[Edited on 23/2/15 by mark chandler]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.