Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit Manufacturer?
Calzonii

posted on 2/6/15 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit Manufacturer?

Hi all,

As some of you know I'm about to start building my first kit car. I am just looking to get some information on which kit people would choose for a replica 7. I already have the engine chosen. A 2l duratec as I got one for free from a friend. So now all I want to know is peoples opinion on the best kit to buy. Will be used mostly for just driving around in the summer but also for track days. Probably a couple per season. And my budget is around £12k all in minus engine as i already have that.

My current list:

MK Indy R
Westfield
MAC1
Tiger Avon
Or any other recommendations.

Can people also highlght the positive and negatives for each supplier?

Thanks,

Cal

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by Calzonii]

JAG

posted on 2/6/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Aries Motorsport car...

Aries Motorsport

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

JohnH

posted on 2/6/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Aries Motorsport...... Great kit. Everything fits together great. Good price. Great bloke to deal with (Steve). Give Steve a ring and have chat to him. The car has done very well in the 750 championship. They do car engine aswell as bike engine. &#128540;
coozer

posted on 2/6/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Midlana, build it from scratch and hold your head up!

Or, my vote would be MNR.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Kev99

posted on 2/6/15 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
IMO i would go for the Westfield just on resale value when u come to sell it but it will be the most expensive to build

Kev.....

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/6/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Raw striker ?
matt5964

posted on 2/6/15 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
How about the Elite Pulse, Eddie is a top bloke too

http://www.elitemotorsport.co.uk/elite-pulse-16-w.asp

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

austin man

posted on 2/6/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Indy RR you will get plenty of change and the car has a proven race pedigree slightly wider that the Stuart Taylor tons cheaper than the Westfield, if its the Westfield look you like then consider the Road Runner virtually identical bodywork.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

rash12

posted on 2/6/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
road runner sr2 very similar looking to the westie good build quality too
HappyFather

posted on 2/6/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Let me add one plus for Aries Motorsports (former Stuart Taylor) and the man behind it, Steve. Wonderful person to deal with and the kit is easy to assemble, all fits in and is one of the cheapest.

From your list, and if you have the cash, would go for Westfield. The most expensive of the list but the quality shows on the final product. Also, as stated before, has the best resale value from the listed ones.

MNR is algo a good choice, quality wise and the people behind it. Price between Westfield and Aries.

Would go for one of these 3 and forget about the others. Actually I went for Aries when I bought my kit, 5 years ago.

kingster996

posted on 2/6/15 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
With your budget a westfield is easily achievable.

Built this for less

[Edited on 2/6/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

ianhurley20

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is a difficult question to answer without knowing the person making the car. Builders seem to sit in two groups - builders and - drivers. If you are a builder I would go for a Haynes Roadster as there is tremendous freedom to make the car your own - a driver on the other hand I would go for the much simpler build together with resale ease of the Westfield. In between possibly the MNR.

I have built 3 previous kit cars, all over 40 years ago, and now have chosen the Haynes Roadster. make your own choice but decide which group you fit into best first.

PorkChop

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you can, I would try and see if you can persuade someone to let you sit in the cars you're interested in.

It's all well and good having a straightforward or a high quality build, but it means naff all if you can't get comfortable in the car when it's done...

Calzonii

posted on 2/6/15 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I also think you make a good point Porkchop! Ill maybe take a run up to a few of the factories and get a better idea of the cars they make.

At the moment I have to say imleaning towards the MK. I don't think I could afford to build a westie to the spec im looking and buying a kit a bit cheaper lets me have more scope to tune the engine / add supervharger etc.

What are peoples opinion on MK? I havent heard much chat about them so far in the comments?

Also can somebody tell me the difference between the Indy R and the RR?

MK9R

posted on 3/6/15 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
MNR Vortx

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FASTdan

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
We have an original MK Indy fitted with a Duratec and have had good dealings with Danny at MK when sourcing replacement parts etc. I think the Indy R looks like a great kit. However, the Roadrunner SR2 continually catches my eye at the shows and had a good chat with the guys at a track day recently - I'd be very tempted with this option but I do not know the in's and outs of fitting a Duratec as their donor is an MX5.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Tazzzzman1

posted on 3/6/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I'd recommend the Roadrunner Sr2 as well. Had mine on the road for almost 3 years, done both track and road, covered 9K miles so far. Fitted with an MX5 which I have just supercharged. So plenty of scope to improve the car and space to allow it. IMHO one of the best sorted and quality kits out there and a budget of £12K would get yo a decent spec build. The duratec shouldnt be an issue as they have done multiple engine fits including a 600BHP V8.....
YQUSTA

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii

What are peoples opinion on MK? I havent heard much chat about them so far in the comments?

When I had my MK Indy I found MK to be totally unhelpful unless it was when you were giving them money, I would order parts and they would not arrive even though they would tell me that they had sent them. I also asked them to bring some parts to Stoneleigh one year and they said they forgot but would send them to me making promises that they were in the workshop, even though 2 months later they were then telling me they were waiting for parts to be made.

I personally would never deal with them again, their focus is now imo on racing and not on customer service, it also appears from other forum posts about their service that it happens to be worse for people who can't just pop in and see them due to the distance they are from the workshop.

If they had just been honest it would have made my opinion of them much better but when you get told lies time and time again it's not good.

Others will have glowing references for MK but this is my honest experience with them.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

hkp57

posted on 3/6/15 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Scottish Kitcar Centre Raptor range derived from Indy Chassis

SKC Link

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Calzonii

posted on 3/6/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking car hpk
ragindave

posted on 3/6/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield better resale value.
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 2/8/15 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tazzzzman1
Yes I'd recommend the Roadrunner Sr2 as well. Had mine on the road for almost 3 years, done both track and road, covered 9K miles so far. Fitted with an MX5 which I have just supercharged. So plenty of scope to improve the car and space to allow it. IMHO one of the best sorted and quality kits out there and a budget of £12K would get yo a decent spec build. The duratec shouldnt be an issue as they have done multiple engine fits including a 600BHP V8.....

I have their ex V8 car (the green one)

I must say that the quality of the chassis/kit/service has disappointed me somewhat.

The chassis had apparently done 50 miles when I got hold of it.

The seat spacers that were welded on had rusted off.

The rollcage side bars haven't been welded underneath and have rusted at the join where the powdercoating hasn't taken

Speaking of powdercoating it is absolutely hopeless. My 13 year old Westfield was in much better condition. A loy of it is flaking away, especially round welds.

The propshaft they gave me had a CV joint and a UV joint.

The bonnet has a 2/3 inch lip/overhang on the left hand side.

Shame really because the chassis design is very good.

prawnabie

posted on 3/8/15 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kev99
IMO i would go for the Westfield just on resale value when u come to sell it but it will be the most expensive to build

Kev.....

my mazda SDV cost me 8k all in

daniel mason

posted on 3/8/15 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
If I new the larger welds on the roll cage were sub-standard,I'd be going ove the car with a microscope to make sure the chassis welds are all spot on!

[Edited on 3/8/15 by daniel mason]

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 3/8/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
If I new the larger welds on the roll cage were sub-standard,I'd be going ove the car with a microscope to make sure the chassis welds are all spot on!

[Edited on 3/8/15 by daniel mason]

I agree.

If it were a perfect world I'd strip the chassis, blast it, reweld it where needed and then re powdercoat the whole thing with something not made from chocolate!

I've had a weld fail before on a steering arm. It's not nice.

I'll try and get some pictures up of the car

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.