Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit Manufacturer?
CosKev3

posted on 3/8/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield quality of finish is the best of the bunch, body panels are way better.you can see the fibreglass matting/weave through a lot of cheaper panels, and one I've looked at recently but won't name you can see daylight through the rear panel it was that thin!

I looked around a SR2 and thought the front suspension pick up points and sizes of the wishbones/rose joints etc looked weak.

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 3/8/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Westfield quality of finish is the best of the bunch, body panels are way better.you can see the fibreglass matting/weave through a lot of cheaper panels, and one I've looked at recently but won't name you can see daylight through the rear panel it was that thin!

I looked around a SR2 and thought the front suspension pick up points and sizes of the wishbones/rose joints etc looked weak.

The pickups and general design is fine IMHO.

I think if I had to do it over again, I'd look at MNR or Elite Pulse.

But since I'm £15k and counting down this hole, I need to get to the bottom (Another £3-4k away I reckon without IVA) of it.

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
But since I'm £15k and counting down this hole, I need to get to the bottom (Another £3-4k away I reckon without IVA) of it.

Wow thats a big hole for something your not fully happy with. Have you not approached RRR with the issues?

I have recently done the rounds looking for a new build and my observations were:

MK, decent quality and price, plenty of them around but on (some) occasions the backup from manufacturer can be poor.

Westfield, the mazda SDV looks good value, decent resale, very good quality, as said the grp is very nicely finished, but by the time id specced the fw bodywork and a few other bits and pieces the price skyrocketted very quickly. Also their customer service seems to have taken a downward turn lately, lots of people complaining if you trawl the web.

RRR Sr2, only spoke by email but the guy seemed nice to deal with.

MNR, ended up buying one. Bodywork is very close to westfield quality and much cheaper to replace if it all goes Pete tong. Chassis looks very well made and the prices are reasonable for parts. Also the service from chris and mark is exceptional. Emails very rarely take 24hrs to get a reply unless they're away racing. I just wish they werent so busy as i still have a couple of months to wait for my kit

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 3/8/15 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:

Wow thats a big hole for something your not fully happy with. Have you not approached RRR with the issues?

I have recently done the rounds looking for a new build and my observations were:

MK, decent quality and price, plenty of them around but on (some) occasions the backup from manufacturer can be poor.

Westfield, the mazda SDV looks good value, decent resale, very good quality, as said the grp is very nicely finished, but by the time id specced the fw bodywork and a few other bits and pieces the price skyrocketted very quickly. Also their customer service seems to have taken a downward turn lately, lots of people complaining if you trawl the web.

RRR Sr2, only spoke by email but the guy seemed nice to deal with.

MNR, ended up buying one. Bodywork is very close to westfield quality and much cheaper to replace if it all goes Pete tong. Chassis looks very well made and the prices are reasonable for parts. Also the service from chris and mark is exceptional. Emails very rarely take 24hrs to get a reply unless they're away racing. I just wish they werent so busy as i still have a couple of months to wait for my kit

Yes it is a big hole, but if I were to sell up now, I'd be losing £5k minimum

There is no point in dealing with RRR on these issues. If I say 'The powdercoat is rubbish please redo it' they'll say 'No'.

As for the rollcage I'll end up doing it myself otherwise it'll be a day off work and £100 in fuel to take the car over to them.

And they fitted the bonnet to the car and would have seen it was off, yet they let it go out the door.

I think you made the right choice going MNR

micksalt

posted on 3/8/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_Rabbit

You'll have to pop over when I receive the Vortx kit this November(ish) and take a look

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
If you can, I would try and see if you can persuade someone to let you sit in the cars you're interested in.

It's all well and good having a straightforward or a high quality build, but it means naff all if you can't get comfortable in the car when it's done...

I'd agree with this, I'm just 6ft but seem to have long legs! I couldn't fit in a lot of kits and ended up as a cheepo starter as a robin hood new series 3 (several years ago now!) followed by 2 quantum xtremes, all of which are slightly larger 7 style cars, but I have loads of room and thus makes for a much happier drive.

Another thing is to consider having the factory nearer to you if you are buying the kit from new, will make it easier if you need to see something or get a part sorted.

have fun choosing

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 6/8/15 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_Rabbit

You'll have to pop over when I receive the Vortx kit this November(ish) and take a look
I know mate, you're kicking bottom!!

Be nice to see it!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.