Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres Widths and differences
AntonUK

posted on 28/6/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres Widths and differences

Hi All,
I have a set of Compomotive 7Jx15 wheels on the Ginetta. They are currently shed in some Dunlop 200/580 Slicks.

I need to change them out for some road legals, and after various research some Toyo R888 (in medium) seem the best option.

Now the question, should they be a 205 or 195 width tyres? What are the positives and negatives of a 10mm difference? given around £17 each price difference.

Build Photos Here

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/6/15 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running nankang ns2r tyres and for the money they are very good on track and on the road .as for size really depends on the weight of your car and the power output .

[Edited on 28/6/15 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/6/15 at 02:37 AM Reply With Quote
Wider tyres are more prone to hydroplanning in the wet... but then 10 mm difference may not be enough to notice.
It may not be a factor if you drive only on good weather...
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/6/15 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you're Lewis Hamilton driving at the very edge and with a perfect suspension set-up you will never notice the difference. Save the £68 and get the 195's.

The only noticable difference may be the gearing, if they are both 50 profile then the 205's will be 10mm taller and so have higerh gearing. Off the top of my head the diameter of a 195/50/15 is (theoretically) is 576mm so pretty close to the 580's you have.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
750mc

posted on 18/7/15 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
May be a daft question but I'm guessing you're running gut track car on the road?. You're unlikely to tell the difference if it's just day to day driving you may aswell save the money and buy the narrower ones. Although after slicks anything less will be a disappointment in grip! I've a few sets of pilot sport 3's in 195 /50 x 15 size if you're interested.
steve m

posted on 19/7/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
A Tyre size v speedo comparison site

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.