Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Competition to Win my Sprint Car! Any interest?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Competition to Win my Sprint Car! Any interest?

So I've been trying to sell my Sprint/Hillclimb/Race car for a while now:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=199075
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/64346/locost-7-seven-bec-racesprinthillclimb-car

But have been getting nowhere. I dont want to let it go for a pittance and dont want to break it up for parts but on the other hand my single seater will be back from the chassis builders soon so I want the space/money so I can build that.

So I have had an idea to run a small competition to give it away to one lucky person. I have looked into the legalities and as long as it has a competitive elelment and isnt just a lottery/raffle it appears to be perfectly legal (comes under the same rules as crossword competitions and such)

My current thinking is:

-£10 per entry.
-800 minimum entries
-1000 maximum entries
-The proceeds of any entries past 950 (upto £500 will go to charity)
-The prize will be my Race Car + Trailer + Spares

For the competition I am thinking of buying 4x scales (like these: 150Kg/300kg Heavy Duty Digital Postal Parcel Platform Scales Weigh Post Office

Each entrant will make a guess on the 4x scale values for the wheel (FR, FL, RR, RL), once the entries are recived the car will be stuck on the scales exactly as it is now and the person who is the closest (the lowest mean error) will win the car.

Payment will likely be via PayPal so people can include a message with there contact deets and guess.

The weighing will be in public with entrants welcome to attend and some sort of trustworthy independant witness will be there.

The entrants guesses will be on a Google Doc spreadsheet and will have some sort of calcualtion so once the actual values are added it will give the mean error of each entrant and rank them.

It has been cornerweighted once and the overall weight is in the public domain but not the individual values and the car has changed significantly since then, also no record was taken of the values (I dont even know them now) The three people who were present at the cornerweight session and there families will be barred from entering as will the people who helped me build the car.

I'm sure there are 1000 petrol heads out there in the UK who would take a punt on winning there own race car and 1000/1 odds are better than most competitions!

Just wondering what people think? Would people actually have a go?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
sdh2903

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have a ticket or 2. Sounds like a great idea.
Rosco86

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
i would like to have a go but i don't want to spend my times researching and trying to get a good guess, i would much rather a, "pick names out of a hat style" because really the odds of your idea are not really 1 in 1000 as there is some thought and experience involved, also i don't think you would get 800 people that want to take an educated guess,

just my thoughts on it

Rosco

My Build Thread

Irony

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
i would like to have a go but i don't want to spend my times researching and trying to get a good guess, i would much rather a, "pick names out of a hat style" because really the odds of your idea are not really 1 in 1000 as there is some thought and experience involved, also i don't think you would get 800 people that want to take an educated guess,

just my thoughts on it

Rosco

Agree with the above, but if the OP wants the car to go to a proper petrol head then his way is a good way. Ensures the car goes to a proper petrolhead.

Jamesc

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested also and I'm sure a few people would be up for buying more than one ticket. But I do agree with Rosco about the competition style, which would make it a lot easier for you also!
rodgling

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I like it, the guessing the weights sounds fun.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

just my thoughts on it

Rosco

To exaplain a little bit more (as I only touched on it breifly) thats a lottery/raffle which isnt legal (they can only be run by companies with a lottery licence or for charity). It has to be based on skill, knowledge or judgment which means it becomes a competition with a prize (which is fine because its not gambling).

The thing is its not "guess the fully set-up cornerweight values on a flat patch", its just the car being stuck on 4 scales on the trailer bed with whatever tyre pressures are in it and whatever fuel is left in the tank.

Unless someboday can suggest something else to try to predict? It needs to be something witha large variable where it wont end up with 200 answers the same.

[Edited on 8/10/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, seem like some positive feedback so far.

Would be one hell of a Xmas present for someone!

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have a crack.

What happens if two people guess the same weight and its correct?

sdh2903

posted on 8/10/15 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
I'd have a crack.

What happens if two people guess the same weight and its correct?

You get half each

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Well one of the reasons for doing the mean error over all 4 wheels is that the chance of 2 people getting the same error is miniscule but... I think there will be a tie-breaker question as well which people will need to submit a guess for which would be to guess how fat I am! I would jump on a scale as well (with whatever clothes I am wearing and whatever is in my pocket)s. FYI there is a 20kg range for my weight over the last 5 years.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

mazie

posted on 8/10/15 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a great Idea and something which I would have a go at.
big_wasa

posted on 8/10/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would have a punt.
loggyboy

posted on 8/10/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea, but I honestly think you'll struggle to get 80 people interested let alone 800.

Mistral Motorsport

Rosco86

posted on 8/10/15 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
what happens if you dont reach 800?

My Build Thread

richardm6994

posted on 8/10/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea, but I thought for a competition like this to be 'legal'm a closing date for entries must be stipulated?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
what happens if you dont reach 800?

Two ideas:

Either:

I would impose some sort of time limit but if the minimum number is not reached would have to return each Paypal payment (not too difficult to do on Paypal

Or (perhaps less risky for entrants)

I would take peoples entries without payment and then once the required number is reached send out an e-mail giving everyone say 2 weeks to pay up before the comptition is run.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Nice idea, but I honestly think you'll struggle to get 80 people interested let alone 800.

Perhaps... but I've already got ~10 people interested in 4 hours on one (small) website in the middle of the day when people should be working. Spread it around Facebook/Twitter/Car based Forums and who knows what will happen.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Rosco86

posted on 8/10/15 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't be buying a ticket because the chances of winning i think are poor, like i said earlier if it was a straight forward out of a hat i would have 2 or 3 go's

i can understand your situation, its a mint car, but most people want to build there own unless its a real bargain buy

My Build Thread

gaz_gaz

posted on 8/10/15 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be better off splitting the car than going down this route.
It would be a crying shame but I think the prize idea is leaving you open to a whole world of pain.
Good luck which ever route you choose!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
I think you'd be better off splitting the car than going down this route.
It would be a crying shame but I think the prize idea is leaving you open to a whole world of pain.
Good luck which ever route you choose!

I'm going for one more punt on ebay as an open auction 99p start (is scheduled to start on Sunday night). I just havent got time to break it up and sell it all off as bits. Have way to much to do with the Single Seater business venture.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Bluemoon

posted on 8/10/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

just my thoughts on it

Rosco

Ditto

steve m

posted on 8/10/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto again, the fairest way,

so no insiders can cheat, as there's always one !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/10/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
As I've fully explained though its illegal. I can't really explain it any simpler than that. It has to be a competition that involves skill or knowledge or a competitive element. I would like to do a lottery/raffle as its easier and totally fair but its not legal.

If I did it as a lottery the gambling commission could simply take away all of the proceeds and then prosecute me for running illegal gambling operations.

[Edited on 8/10/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

SCAR

posted on 8/10/15 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea but some risk involved as I thought you weren't allowed to cancel giving out the prize due to insufficient entries.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.