Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel gauge
rm0rgan

posted on 6/12/15 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel gauge

Yesterday, when I went to collect the Xmas tree in Bumblebeast I was slightly miffed to notice my fuel gauge had stopped working - looked in the tank filler and could see there was petrol in there so off I went. Thought at times it wasn't running as smooth as normal but put it down to driving steady as had the Xmas tree onboard.

So, this afternoon thought I'd check all the wiring and fiddle about and test the gauge - all good, but still reading empty so thought I'd nip to the petrol station to brim the tank to see if that would move the float - still running a little rough I thought.

£30 later and the gauge is reading full - moral of the story, put bloody petrol in it first before taking bits apart!!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 6/12/15 by rm0rgan]

Sigs are uncool.

britishtrident

posted on 6/12/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Istr some Volvos have a saddled shaped fuel tank and two fuel pumps, one is a scavenge pump that stops fuel getting orphaned in the wrong side of the tank by constantly over filling the pot the main pump sits in.

If the scavenge pump fails problems occur when the fuel is below 1/4 tank.
The fuel system on the last one I worked on was state of the art complexity the fuel pump module controlled by the cars central control module, dealer level stuff.

[Edited on 6/12/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

theconrodkid

posted on 7/12/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
BT,have a look at the in tank fuel system on an Audi A8...it would boggle even Einsteins mind !.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 7/12/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
My uncle used to tell of one of his school.pal's first car a Ford Model A it had a gravity feed fuel tank. Being a young lad he didn't have much money for fuel and found it would cut out on hills if the tank was below 1/4. Ingeneously he solved the problem by reversing up hills if the tank was low.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.