Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Vehicle Security - Nurburgring trip
ian996

posted on 2/7/16 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Vehicle Security - Nurburgring trip

We are off to the Nurburgring for a few days in July - just wondering what security people might recommend?

Handbrake lock?
    Wheel lock?
    pedal lock?

I can remove my steering wheel and remove the ECU. I also have some engine bay locks to fit before I leave. Could also get a tracker fitted, so i guess someone driving it isn't the issue, but want to make sure it cant be wheeled away on a flatbed. Though i guess someone could drag it on still - just hoping no-one wants it that badly!

I know a few cars have been stolen from the Nurburgring area so want to make mine fairly difficult.

I don't have a hood or anything, so its all open top. Will be packing waterproofs - plenty people in the convoy with boot space! Plan to just put a cover over it when not being used.

Simpler the better. i see the wheel locks on ebay are quite cheap, but are probably easily removed. Maybe a strong chain would be better through the wheel?

I

posted on 2/7/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I go for a covered chain & padlock like the motor bikers use, through the wheel and wishbone.

If you use a cover let the chain dangle out from underneath as a visible deterrent.

Paul G

[Edited on 2/7/16 by 907]

Dick

posted on 2/7/16 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I go for a covered chain & padlock like the motor bikers use as said above through the wishbone and wheel but I chain it to something like another car or a post, that way they cant drag it away. I brought the best I could find not a cheap ebay item as have seen some of these tested, think my was Thatcham approved to
jeffw

posted on 2/7/16 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Pick a hotel which has garages for rent is what we always did.

ian996

posted on 2/7/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
will have a look at the chains. anyone know if it will fit through a TD1.2?
bi22le

posted on 2/7/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have not heard of cars going missing at the circuit. You would be lucky to get a flat bed into the carpark and steal a car in any decent time. Maybe the gravel one at the end but I used to always find space in the main one as I was in out with people so often.

There is also far more expensive and exposed cars there. Millions of pounds of cars just parked at the sides of the roads and satellite car parks.

If you do park in the gravel car park, parking close to some one and tying a cars together is a good idea, make sure you have locking wheel nuts though!!

I have always stayed at the same hotel that is about 30 mins away, it has a secluded car park, garages to use and CCTV.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ian996

posted on 2/7/16 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's not at the facility I'm worried about, it's when I'm asleep in the hotel. I guess motorbikes have the same problem and i know a Westfield isn't the most desirable of cars, it's just, in my view, easier than most to take!
jossey

posted on 2/7/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I chain the rear wheels and out the car on full lock if you have a ignition steering lock.
Also as you say remove the wheel
I would also put a red led on dash

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.