Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride Height - what do you suggest?
Rosco

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ride Height - what do you suggest?

I'm coming towards the end of my Fury build and not sure what ride height I should aim for. I'm clear about the 1" front-back rake recommended for a Fury but the Sump is the lowest point and I'd appreciate your thoughts on required sump ground clearance for road use as this will drive the whole setup. I would like it to be as low as possible but am also obviously keen to avoid bottoming out and damaging the sump.

Thanks

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
From chassis base to floor - 100mm front and 130mm rear from what I recall.

Mistral Motorsport

HowardB

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
not sure if you'll have to "jack it up" a bit to get the headlights to the correct height for the IVA.

Mine are low-ish now it is at the correct ride height

HTH

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Sam_68

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco... thoughts on required sump ground clearance for road use as this will drive the whole setup.

I've run 75mm sump clearance on the road, without any difficulties. Another car with 55mm clearance suffered a couple of cracked sump pans, and I had fit a shallower sump.

Is your sump alloy or pressed steel? Steel tends to pick up the odd dent and scrape, but survive; alloy tends to crack if it gets a good knock.

adithorp

posted on 22/8/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I run 120mm front and 140mm rear. Front measured from chassis cross member and rear at the cross member behind the seats. Sump sits now with a skid that's 80mm from the floor.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

russbost

posted on 22/8/16 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Depends if you have speed bumps in your area & what type, most speed bumps are around 100mm, so anything lower than that & your likely to give the sump a wallop at some point, personally if I were running less than 100mm I would put some sort of basic skid (doesn't need to be a heavy duty sump guard) under the sump, so if you make contact with anything you have something which will lift the load on the front suspension & allow the sump to slide over the obstruction without likely damage.

I know someone who was running 75mm under the sump & I think he went thro' either 2 or 3 b4 he got the message!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
benchmark51

posted on 22/8/16 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have 100mm on the front and 130 at the rear. However I never 'straddle' speed humps, I slow down a lot and make sure one or the other wheel goes over the hump. It makes sure the sump is lifted a bit, has worked up to now.
rodgling

posted on 22/8/16 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have ~80 mm clearance under the sump, it's OK but I have to be careful over speed bumps. The sump gets the odd scrape and has had a few hard hits which twice snapped the gear linkage (this mounts to both the engine and the chassis so seems to be the weak link when the engine takes a hit, probably not a bad thing).
David Jenkins

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think people are confusing 'ride height' with 'ground clearance'. Ride height is the height of the chassis at the front and rear, and is mostly defined by the chassis and suspension design - they have to be a certain height to get the suspension arms at the correct angle.

Ground clearance is when you've got the ride height correct and look under the car see what's likely to get knocked off on the next speed bump 'cos it's dangling below the chassis too far!

[Edited on 22/8/16 by David Jenkins]

tymkea

posted on 13/9/16 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you were competing in an open class (single seater racing cars), then the MSA (UK) would require a 40mm ground clearance with you on board and fuelled up ready to run.
Sports racing cars have the same rule.
Road derived cars usually run around double that.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 13/9/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Raw for the striker was 120mm front 140mm rear ideally you need 80mm or more ground clearance on the sump any thing less you may have issues .
nick-york

posted on 14/9/16 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have 70 mm sump clearance and it's not quite enough. I drive slowly and carefully over speedhumps. on the small humps I go over them 2 wheels up and two wheels down. never tried straddling them. I've grounded a few times. not badly with damage. just a few horrible scraping sounds. there's a type of speedhump which is like a strip of concrete about 100 mm wide and I have to avoid them. luckily they only seem to appear on privately owned roads or car parks. I've also grounded on drives where thereis a steep gradient meeting a flattish bit of road. I think 100 mm would be safè.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/9/16 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have 100mm and I've only scraped the sump once, on a very high bump on a private road. It has cleared everything on public roads.

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Am I the only one on LB to not poke their engine through the chassis ?

90mm front, 110mm rear.
I aimed for 100mm front but the car took me sooooo long to build that the suspension sunk.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Am I the only one on LB to not poke their engine through the chassis ?

It's those strange engines from Norfolk - all twisted up and odd-looking!

posted on 15/9/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

quote:
- all twisted up and odd-looking!

Are you referring to me, or the engine David ?

Mash

posted on 15/9/16 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have 100 mm and live half a mile down a farm track/bridlepath.......

I have to drive VERY carefully to get to the road Tend to collect gravel and stones each trip, and have to shovel them out afterwards, that eminds me, must get around to a flat floor.

Seriously though, touch wood, I haven't hit anything on the public roads yet.......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.