Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BARCHETTA 595!! Back from Extinction!!
Slinky

posted on 5/10/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
BARCHETTA 595!! Back from Extinction!!

Hey guys! For those of you with an interest in the original Barchetta 595 designed by peter Stevens back in 1991...
Looks like its making a comeback!!

www.595s.co.uk

Very interesting reading! The new car looks like it might be a bit of an animal!
Regards, Slinky.

[Edited on 5/10/16 by Slinky]

steve m

posted on 5/10/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I would be that silly to click on the above link, ..................

But if the name is the same as it is on yahoo, then it looks like Noddie's car is back in town, with Big ears and their chums

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm. Strange comments. Strange indeed....

Not quite understanding the "not silly enough to click the link" part. Its genuine and no one else seems to have had any issues....
As for the noddy comments.... Ha! In a world wear everyone builds clones of the same thing over and over and sticks a different name on it....
How many versions of the lotus 7 are there?? 30? 40? Tut.
It makes a refreshing change to see an original car resurrected with ultra modern tech under the skin.
Its stand alone with NO Variations of it. Meaning there isnt 30 or so other companies churning out clone like copies....
Having spoke to the guys at BVD, it appears the demo has 225BHP!
From a R1200RT engine and an E46-330 rear diff, with a NOS kit.
That's around 530 brake per ton!! (car only weighs 350kg!),
Not bad for a "noddy car".... Not bad at all.....
Far be it from me to suggest you look for yourself... But you wouldn't be silly enough now would you....
Slinky.

UncleFista

posted on 6/10/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
How about a bit of disclosure, seeing as you have 2 posts to your name and they're both promoting a website.

How are you connected with the manufacturer ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

jps

posted on 6/10/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slinky
Not quite understanding the "not silly enough to click the link" part. Its genuine and no one else seems to have had any issues....
Slinky.

Probably because it was your first post on the forum?

I like the look of the spaceframe chassi - but I bet it's weird driving something so tiny on todays roads! I guess it would be twitchy being so short - still guess it's no worse that an original mini..

40inches

posted on 6/10/16 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
As for the noddy comments.... Ha! In a world wear everyone builds clones of the same thing over and over and sticks a different name on it....
How many versions of the lotus 7 are there?? 30? 40? Tut.
It makes a refreshing change to see an original car resurrected with ultra modern tech under the skin.
Its stand alone with NO Variations of it. Meaning there isnt 30 or so other companies churning out clone like copies....
Having spoke to the guys at BVD, it appears the demo has 225BHP!
From a R1200RT engine and an E46-330 rear diff, with a NOS kit.
That's around 530 brake per ton!! (car only weighs 350kg!),
Not bad for a "noddy car".... Not bad at all.....
Far be it from me to suggest you look for yourself... But you wouldn't be silly enough now would you....
Slinky.

Did you not know what this forum is about? 2 posts and you have managed to hack off a "few" of the members

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote

Hi Unc. I'm happy to do a bit of disclosure...
I joined the site because I have finally bought me a kit car.... lol.
You can probably guess which one! I remember seeing this car at the stoneleigh kit car show back in '93 when it was produced by the Dove company.
It was a very expensive and complex build back then with its base car being a fiat 126 floorpan. I wanted just a body, back then to build a spaceframe chassis but having my daughters kind of took over and it was shelved...
Now the girls are all grown so I decided to have a google one night to see what happened with the car from such a long time ago.
Low and behold, I came across that site! I spoke at length with the owner (guy called Mark), and viewed a body. Its a very nice bit of kit.
9ft 6 inches long by 4ft 6 inches wide. The body could be used in its jelcoat form as they are THAT good!
I placed my order yesterday and parted with my hard earned £5500 (6 weeks delivery time) and I'm now in the process of sourcing a BMW R1200RT bike (05 to 08) as it uses the engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, front down pipes, Instrument cluster etc.

The other bits I can either source myself and modify them or have them off the shelf from BVD. Even in standard form, it will be pushing 120bhp so it will be no slouch. The engine is right behind the driver and being a boxer, very well balanced. I am hoping to post a blow by blow of the build on here. The cars have already been IVA passed so there will be no issues there as long as I follow their format for the build. I recon I could have one up and registered for under 10k. Ill see how quick it feels when its done and consider a remap if I fancy a bit more poke. Their factory car, owned by the MD does 0-60 in 3 flat! Its been limited to 125 top end but gets there like a missile through its 6 speed sequential box. Your sat very low down in the car and you can feel everything from the road. Excellent chassis and feedback. His own car is not a factory demo. They are currently building that for prospective owners to test drive. I ask why not his? He stated that having his bodyshell produced in carbon fibre and associated costs would be an expensive accident should a customer crash it. The factory cars would have between 120 and 165 bhp. His is that way as its his own toy and wanted to push the boundaries a little. I'm asked about the carbon fibre bodyshell and he said it cost his company the heavy end of 10k to make the shell so doesn't expect many takers on that. I'm sure someone with deep pockets would want one like his after sitting in it! lol. His isnt for sale but turn key cars, IVA passed and ready for reg will be available towards may of next year. Pricing is a bit sketchy as there are different options available for the build.
So. In a nut shell... I will be the proud owner of one of these cars very soon and it should only take a month or so to build it as its pretty much a bolt together thing.
Regards, Slinky

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi JPS.
In answer to you're statement regarding the shortness... When I was in marks car, it felt very very stable to be honest. It was twitching however as he accelerated into a bend but the wheel and tyres he had on the car meant you'd have to push it to unstick the back end. He had 225/40/14s on the back and 205/45/14s on the front. (I'm told factory cars will have 195/45/14 toyos all round). And as for the front, It had no understeer at all and went where Mark pointed it! It sounded awesome from the quad exhaust! Not loud but everyone took a look as we sailed past! The only issue I had was finding it hard to breath at very high speeds! It only has an aero screen. It seems the year they took to develop the chassis has paid off in spades! I'm told you could even drive the chassis without a body on it, road legal with an engine cover and a lighting pack! There is talk of making different bodies to fit the chassis so all their vehicles are the same under the skin but look completely different on the outside. The wheel base is 1840mm and being only 1370mm at its widest point, it appears to be a good ratio. After all, It was originally based on a Fiat 126/classic Fiat 500 so shares the same footprint apart from much wider arches. I don't get excited much at my age (44) lol. But i can feel the buzz of whats to come having been in Marks own car.

One point worth mentioning is... I'm informed you cannot buy a chassis on its own. Nor a body. They come bonded together. I ask the reason for this... I was informed that whilst there are many many highly skilled people out there more than capable of building a chassis for the body.. there are just as many who think it would be Ok to use sticky backed plastic and coke cans so it was decided that the vehicle will leave the factory with as much safety dialed in as possible. Including front and rear crumple zones from a smart fortwo and massive side impact protection. Marks car was foam filled from the inside so sounded and felt very very solid with almost no vibration. I have to admit, Its not a bad idea and takes a major headache out of the build as not many people have jigging facilities to hand. The biggest and hardest part of any build is the chassis.
Regards, Slinky.

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
So 40 inches...
I post about a vehicle that has some pedigree in its past with the intention of letting others know it exists once again..
Someone pops up implying the link is going to give them a computer swine flu or some other undesirable PC illness
and then proceed to slate a vehicle they know nothing about or even seen it appears.

And Having just spent FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED quid on a body/chassis package, I'm the one hacking members off?
There was no insult in my reply. Just simple facts.
Regardless of that, ANYONE slating ANYONE is wrong and when it does happen,
A person has every right to challenge a post that is at best insulting and at worst RUDE.

I was merely stating I thought the product was of value to SOME members. Not all.
No one deserves to be insulted for that now do they?

For the record. I am not connected to BVD in any way shape or form.
I am a Customer of theirs and just like everyone else on this forum, I mentioned a vehicle specific to me.
Just as others mention vehicles specific to them.

Typed without malice. Slinky.

sdh2903

posted on 6/10/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've always been told it's not what you say, it's the way you say it.

Firstly. Welcome. This is a great site with lots of knowledgeable people.

Secondly. A quick intro with who you are and what you are building is generally the way to go with joining any new forum in my opinion. It did look slightly like you had only joined to promote your product. The intro would have sorted that.

Thirdly it's the law round here to post pics of your project when you get going.

Steve

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote

Hi SDH.
Points duly noted.
As a new member (I have never joined a forum before), Thank you for the welcome.
I will definitely be posting the build progress (Once I learn how to post a pic lol).
I have to admit, I was very impressed by what I saw and the MD of BVD's car.
I have looked at many bodies from kit car makers and NONE have come up to the standard of these! They almost always need fettling.
Once trimmed, thats it! Key to it and paint! Nothing else is needed!
It impressed me enough to buy one there and then!
I was fortunate enough to learn the history of the car from way back in 1991 when it was designed by Peter Stevens (McClaren F1 designer)
and the associated costs of having the moulds CNC made. Hence the ultra high quaility.
I am seriously looking forward to having my own car!
I did ask about the possibility of having an aluminum chassis instead of steel....
I was told it would make the car too light for road use. around 190kg.
As a "new to the scene" of car building (Instead of getting "someone else" to build it), I was wondering what they meant by this.
It transpired the first chassis was aluminium and any roads other than smooth as glass upset the car badly. Jumping and jarring all over the place.
So thats pretty much every UK road. lol.

I am going to find it an interesting build as I know of only one other kit car that uses a BMW bike motor (or the whole back end from the tank back)
and that a grinnall scorpion. A friend of mine has one and it goes like stink!
Its a very interesting choice of power plant.
As I am becoming aware, there are some highly skilled folk on this site and it would be interesting to hear their views on the power plant and build components. They seem a rock solid choice to me but would love to hear what others think.
Regards, Slinky.

SCAR

posted on 6/10/16 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site and well done on picking a "differerent" style of project. Its style may not be my cup of tea but the engineering certainly is and I look forward to watching your progress with the build. The sight and sound of the finished car on a track day is already burning bright in my imagination and making me chuckle.
David Jenkins

posted on 6/10/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't be bothered to go to that link, but after all the brouhaha I decided to take a look - my reaction was "Oh! It's one of those!".

I remember them from car shows way, way back, and liked the novelty of it. I'm sure that kit got reviewed by one of the magazines at the time, and (I think) it got a reasonable review. It would be so much fun to drive with a healthy little bike engine in it.

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
595s

Hi SCAR.
Yes. It seems a very interesting choice of mechanicals doesn't it?
Mark (BVD - MD), informs me it was no accident using that format.
He states he has given his car a real beating around a couple of tracks during testing and the only breakage was his thumb! lol.
He didn't say how! lol. He was also a little fly splattered! Ha!
He also wanted to think out the box as the "busa" thing has been done to death.
He says the mechanical package used is pretty much indestructible and highly over engineered.
The BMW R1200RT dry weight is around 270KG and can take two rather large blokes 250KG between them
so the power to weight of the car is very similar.
He tried a few different diffs and finally settled on the E46-330. Very strong and compact. The chance of breaking it and the BMW drive shafts are next to nil.
When they start manufacturing complete turn key cars, Engines, gearboxes, diffs etc will all be remanufactured and he says the car will have a 12 month warranty on all parts! He certainly has faith in his choices. Its not unheard of but rare to get a warranty of any length on a turn key car. Do you know of any other vehicles out there using a similar set up? Mechanically?
Regards Sliky.

Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
595s

Hi David. I just google the car and it appeared in the Which Kit? December 1993.
There is also a quick write up on the total kit car website and I am told they will be featuring the car on the front cover over the coming months.
I clearly remember the old car from stoneleigh in 93. whilst the new one is identical on the outside (except it has LED lights and Porsche boxer
rear air intakes), the new one is a totally different animal under the skin. The only thing thats is REALLY bugging me at the minute,
is... I want mine NOW. I don't want to wait 6 weeks! lol. Its going to be a funny sight when someone pulls up next to it saying "Oh look! A cute little fiat 500 without a roof..." Until it pops of to 60 in around 3 seconds. LOL.

r1_pete

posted on 6/10/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its going to be a funny sight when someone pulls up next to it saying "Oh look! A cute little fiat 500 without a roof..." Until it pops of to 60 in around 3 seconds. LOL.

Bet it would be quite easy to wheelie too with some grippy tyres.

Wonder why they are limiting production.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slinky

posted on 6/10/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
595s

I think the limited run is something to do with keeping the car rare. Then they hold their value. If then are 10 a penny, prices go down. But with them only building 50 factory cars - 49 with the MDs car being number one - and only 40 for sale, they will hold strong money. I think Mark said a few are going to museums. One in italy (a classic microcar thingy, one to the states for a similar kind of thing and a couple of others but the factory will keep a couple for development.
My car is chassis number 9 from 99 rolling shell/chassis. I know they are going to be designing new bodies to fit the existing chassis so the drive train will stick around i expect.
Slinky.

fishywick

posted on 6/10/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see any mention of reverse on the link Slinky.

Is it not just the K series BMs that have it as standard?

Slinky

posted on 7/10/16 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse gear. 595s

Hi Fishywick.
I have called Mark on this subject and he informs me it is an electric unit. His own car has had the gearbox modded for a reverse gear but wont be offering it as an option due to the the costs involved. Better to keep it simple and better still... Affordable! I'm inclined to agree....
Slinky

[Edited on 7/10/16 by Slinky]

SJ

posted on 7/10/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Great choice of engine. Personally I think they should all go in 2CVs though .
Link

Slinky

posted on 8/10/16 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
2CV

Hi SJ.
I've seen that car before. Goes like stink! I can see why they chose that engine!
Slinky.

Slinky

posted on 10/10/16 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update on the unique reverse gear for the 595s.

Just got an update from the site regarding the reverse.
It wasn't on the site previously because they were still tinkering with the system.
All the info I can get is below.

"The reverse gear has been specially designed for the
Vehicle chassis. Once mechanical neutral has been selected,
it is then possible to engage a pair of drive motors via a toggle switch connected directly to the rear wheels.
It will enable the car to move forward and backward at no more than 4mph. This unique system removes the need for engaging a standard motorcycle gearbox for forward motion when parking parallel etc. The motors are fully disengaged when control toggle is in the "OFF" position.
When in the "ON" position, and audible (beep) sounds and stops when the toggle switch is returned to the "OFF" position.
This is to prevent a driver selecting mechanical gears whilst the motors are engaged.
Steering wheels button control is the standard but it is possible to use a stalk on the column.
Up for forward and down for reverse."

Looks like an easy way to park then! A forward and backward button till your parked then disengage.
Never seen one like that! Unique indeed.
Very helpful I suspect as normally you'd have to fiddle with the main gears and electric reverse if you had to wiggle into a space.
Slinky

fishywick

posted on 10/10/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see a bit more detail on the reverse Slinky. It is one thing that no one has really satisfactorily solved on BECs.

I'm still not exactly sure how the 'drive motors' connect to the rear wheels. From the description it sounds like a direct contact roller a la caravan motor mover style. I look forward to following your build.

adithorp

posted on 10/10/16 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like they're using caravan movers for reverse. A drive motor with a roller attached. When engaged, the roller is pressed against the tyre and drives it. If you've got space for them they work really well but they aren't light.
Not sure I'd use just a buzzer to avoid engaging while in drive. Using the neutral switch to control an interlock so the drive couldn't engage unless in neutral would be better.

Welcome and nice project by the way... but not really to my taste.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.