Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes forum to close
Talon Motorsport

posted on 17/11/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes forum to close

Thread from admin here...

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=104604#post104604

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 17/11/16 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
sad news - i hope the history / posts aren't lost. May see an upsurge in posts on here as people migrate back?
snapper

posted on 17/11/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
A shame but I have noticed for a while that forum traffic is quite slow

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

loggyboy

posted on 17/11/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
We arent running Vbulletin here are we?
ChrisW - have you ever looked at crossing over to one of the main stream/more widely used forum software?

Mistral Motorsport

Vmax1974

posted on 17/11/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
sad news - i hope the history / posts aren't lost. May see an upsurge in posts on here as people migrate back?

I hope not too there is a lot of valuable information over there

gremlin1234

posted on 17/11/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vmax1974
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

I have sent a request to The British Library to make a copy before it closes

russbost

posted on 17/11/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately just another nail in the coffin of the kitcar industry (that was!)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ianhurley20

posted on 17/11/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
VERY disappointing

ChrisW

posted on 18/11/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
ChrisW - have you ever looked at crossing over to one of the main stream/more widely used forum software?

I have many times. There are two issues really:

First is that this forum software is so old the conversion utilities that used to exist for it do not support anything close to a recent version of vbulletin.

Second that the software I am running has been heavily modified over the last 15-odd years so much so that in a lot of places the code is unrecognisable from the original. It would be a huge job to get the conversion utilities to even recognise the data.

There are ways I could get around it of course. Perhaps mod the site to be read only and essentially make it the locost archive, start a new forum and just move the usernames over?

Or I could try to write my own conversion tool perhaps.

Or what I have attempted a few times is to re-write the rest of the existing code base to give the site a more modern look and functionality, a bit like vbulletin.

It really comes down to time. I'm self employed, every hour I spend on the site is an hour I am either not earning or not spending with my family. I do my best but there is only so much I can give.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 18/11/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vmax1974

I have been in touch with Haynes and offered to take ownership of the site, move it to my servers, and assume responsibility for it. I would assume they would want to re-brand it as they would not want something with the Haynes name on it outside of their control, but at least this would be a way of keeping all the information alive.

If it came off though I would likely need to recruit some moderators to help. It's hard enough looking after this site!

Chris

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 18/11/16 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Perhaps mod the site to be read only and essentially make it the locost archive, start a new forum and just move the usernames over?

I would have no issues with that - I honestly think with the improvements in modern forums It would be a positive step long term. I think its the Xenforo forums used by a lot of other sites/clubs I frequent and the functionality is very impressive. I would be one of the happy volunteers to offer assistance.

Mistral Motorsport

ChrisW

posted on 18/11/16 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I would be one of the happy volunteers to offer assistance.

Funnily enough you were one of the first people to come to mind!

Chris

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 18/11/16 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Chris

Unsure if thats a good thing!! Promotion or Punishment?!

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 2/12/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I have sent a request to The British Library to make a copy before it closes

quote:
Thank you for your nomination, we have added the forum to our archive and the archived version will be available in the Legal Deposit Library reading rooms in the near future or our website if the site owner gives us permission to do so. More information on Legal Deposit Libraries can be found here: http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/legaldeposit/introduction/

at least the information wont be lost completely, hopefully haynes will agree to the website access too

bi22le

posted on 2/12/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Chris

Don't do that, he will never get his striker finished!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

40inches

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I have many times. There are two issues really:

First is that this forum software is so old the conversion utilities that used to exist for it do not support anything close to a recent version of vbulletin.

Second that the software I am running has been heavily modified over the last 15-odd years so much so that in a lot of places the code is unrecognisable from the original. It would be a huge job to get the conversion utilities to even recognise the data.

There are ways I could get around it of course. Perhaps mod the site to be read only and essentially make it the locost archive, start a new forum and just move the usernames over?

Or I could try to write my own conversion tool perhaps.

Or what I have attempted a few times is to re-write the rest of the existing code base to give the site a more modern look and functionality, a bit like vbulletin.

It really comes down to time. I'm self employed, every hour I spend on the site is an hour I am either not earning or not spending with my family. I do my best but there is only so much I can give.

Chris

I really don't see what the problem is with the existing format?
What benefit would a different format bring?
If it aint broke don't fix it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.