Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: fao admin, request for some data
Irony

posted on 4/1/17 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Locostbuilder/Locost/Ron Champion Cars are a brand without a owner/manufacturer, we have no source of leadership. No single person flies the Locostbuilders flag. There is no manufacturer backup. There is no 'club' as such and as far as I know there never has been. Nobody champions the cause and is willing to organise days out etc. No-one is out there drumming up support and shouting the name Locostbuilders to the public. You might find that is because we are not interested in organising events because we are to busy in the garage. You only have to look at the success of kit car companies across the UK. The ones with active marketing campaigns/customer support are growing the ones without are dying.

If we want to save the forum then we should probably ask for volunteers to start a Locostbuilders Owners Club. A group to organise meetups, to organise stands at shows to officially be the champions of the forum.

loggyboy

posted on 4/1/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Locostbuilder/Locost/Ron Champion Cars are a brand without a owner/manufacturer, we have no source of leadership. No single person flies the Locostbuilders flag. There is no manufacturer backup. There is no 'club' as such and as far as I know there never has been. Nobody champions the cause and is willing to organise days out etc. No-one is out there drumming up support and shouting the name Locostbuilders to the public. You might find that is because we are not interested in organising events because we are to busy in the garage. You only have to look at the success of kit car companies across the UK. The ones with active marketing campaigns/customer support are growing the ones without are dying.

If we want to save the forum then we should probably ask for volunteers to start a Locostbuilders Owners Club. A group to organise meetups, to organise stands at shows to officially be the champions of the forum.

The 'Locost' isnt the key to the site anymore though, it might have been the genesis, but targeting an old and near stagnant format is not going to help. This place has naturally evolved to cover a lot more and expanding this further is key. For kits generally, we dont need to expressly aim at covering all, or specific brands, but be as open and inviting to as many, by ways of expending the sections dedicated to types or brands, specifically for tech info or build diaries. Having regularly updated stickied posts to cover FAQ keeping links, adding more trader links and eventually get subscriptions when we can offer discounts and areas for paid members.
Im not suggesting a rebrand, we dont have to pin to the site naming source, the locostbuilders site has become its own entity, above and beyond the book chassis. There are few 'destination' forums that have names that arent 100% key to their content.

I completely agree on the regional meets, and this could and should be championed, but to do this we need to ensure a growing audience, this can be by tag on to other meets and groups, which will naturally entice new users

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 4/1/17 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you look on the main forum list page where it shows all sub forums, the oldest post is only august last year. I'm on so many forums that have some sub forums that haven't had a post for over 5 years. I still see this as a very active forum.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 4/1/17 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Having read though the thread again I feel more and more is that we lack leadership. A committee to organise meets, ride outs, book show stands. Even someone who has the time to drive sponsorship towards the forum etc. To raise awareness of the greatness of locostbuilders.co.uk.

I believe this is one of the greatest websites on the web.

posted on 4/1/17 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There is no 'club' as such and as far as I know there never has been.

Hens teeth have nothing on these membership cards.

Description
Description

Hodor

posted on 4/1/17 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Having read though the thread again I feel more and more is that we lack leadership. A committee to organise meets, ride outs, book show stands. Even someone who has the time to drive sponsorship towards the forum etc. To raise awareness of the greatness of locostbuilders.co.uk.

I don't know, it could be the start of a slippery slope as one can't please all of the people any of the time. One of the great things about this site is that there isn't any governing few or group, so there is none of the bullshit "elite" and cronyism bad feeling that can creep in, usually when people start taking exception as to how club funds are being spent on gazebos for the shows that not everybody can attend etc etc.

Sometimes, a place where all you get is a bit of chat and advice is best left at that.

loggyboy

posted on 4/1/17 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
One of the great things about this site is that there isn't any governing few or group, so there is none of the bullshit "elite" and cronyism bad feeling that can creep in

I dont know about that, who has access to the shop???
Lol

Mistral Motorsport

Hodor

posted on 4/1/17 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
* that I'm aware of... I should have put that disclaimer in.
ste

posted on 4/1/17 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hens teeth have nothing on these membership cards.

Description
Description

Do they do those cards without the grammatical errors too?

posted on 5/1/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the club was run by Steve Gibbons (Locost car, Tangerine Dream) and the club folded in 2007.
Everyone was given membership for the next 10 years till 2017.

Anyone remember?
( There's somebody called Jenkins on the member list. )

Paul G

[Edited on 5/1/17 by 907]

nick205

posted on 5/1/17 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I believe the club was run by Steve Gibbons (Locost car, Tangerine Dream) and the club folded in 2007.
Everyone was given membership for the next 10 years till 2017.

Anyone remember?
( There's somebody called Jenkins on the member list. )

Paul G

[Edited on 5/1/17 by 907]

Wasn't aware of the club myself (not saying I'd have joined it though).

nick205

posted on 5/1/17 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
quote:

I don't know, it could be the start of a slippery slope as one can't please all of the people any of the time. One of the great things about this site is that there isn't any governing few or group, so there is none of the bullshit "elite" and cronyism bad feeling that can creep in, usually when people start taking exception as to how club funds are being spent on gazebos for the shows that not everybody can attend etc etc.

Sometimes, a place where all you get is a bit of chat and advice is best left at that.

Interesting comment.

I belong to a few other internet forums, some motoring and some not. In general I find they tend to have a core of members on them and a number of hangers on. Unlike this forum however they can also be fairly judgmental in responses to (usually) genuine questions.

As before I find LCB a useful and active forum as well as a good source of information. As a means of bringing geographically spaced people together it seems to work well.

Irony

posted on 5/1/17 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'll not beat around the bush. This forum is a goldmine of information and I have met/spoken to some of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. I could never have built my car without it and I am very grateful.

However the 'interest' in the hobby is waining. People just don't know about it. If we want to keep attracting new members then someone needs to starting driving it.

Irony

posted on 5/1/17 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have just been doing some research and I didn't quite realise how big Locostbuilders.co.uk is. According to Alexa.com its the 19th largest automotive enthusiasts website in the world!!! Thats huge. HotRod.com being number 1 and Pirate4x4 at number 2.
loggyboy

posted on 5/1/17 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have just been doing some research and I didn't quite realise how big Locostbuilders.co.uk is. According to Alexa.com its the 19th largest automotive enthusiasts website in the world!!! Thats huge. HotRod.com being number 1 and Pirate4x4 at number 2.

what are 1-18?

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
This forum is a positive delight when compared to some others I've frequented - just try looking at some of the radio-control forums for a fine selection of sarcasm, rudeness, trolling, arrogance and petty-mindedness.

Mash

posted on 7/1/17 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I decided to get a Locost (having sold my Cateringvan years ago to fund a new house and not having the HUGE stash of cahs available to buy it back now) and saw one on Ebay....

It was only by looking on this forum that I was saved from making a massive and expensive mistake:

Mash nearly gives up his hard earned to a mugger

Thanks again to those of you that not only advised to not to buy, but gave me good advice on getting out of it.

I have since bought an Indy, and this site has been a massive source of advice, and I have SAFELY purchased bits for it from adverts on here, something which can't always be guaranteed on Facebook sites (and certainly not on ebay).

The search function is invaluable, and I find interesting posts on here (not only about kitcars) every day.

As others have said, Facebook is fine, but if you want to find something from just a few days ago, it's hopeless due to the massive turnover of posts and the inability of Facebook to store/search data.

My two main forums are this, and the Ford Transit Forum. I'd be lost without either of them.

02GF74

posted on 7/1/17 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
guys - didn't expect this type of response. I AM NOT KNOCKING this forum in any way, it is a great place and long may it continue to run.

I was merely pointing out that to me it seems the interest in building kit cars is waning as it represented by the number of posts on here.

When I was finishing mine, 2005-7, every other member on here was building an MK Indy and SVA section was filled with question on how to pass, not anymore.

minibull

posted on 8/1/17 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've no doubt kit car building has a hobby is declining, but whilst it is still legal there will always be some who want do it. For these people this forum is the best there is. As to whether or not it is actually a locost forum any longer is a bit debatable but as I don't have nor want a locost for me (and I imagine many others) that's no problem. What I do have is an idea of the car I want to build and the information contained both already on the site and in the knowledge of members is invaluable. For instance I learned that I could dispense with the stupid handbrake bar on english axle and replace with marina cable. Apparently this used to be a common mod, but I didn't know it and as disc brake conversions are now the only thing that comes up on net searches so without this site I would never have known. This sort of thing that lot's of people used to know will be lost as sites like this one disappear, particularly as the hobby declines. So maybe it isn't just locostbuilders, but it is the best Kit/selfbuild car site that exists and I hope long remains so
loggyboy

posted on 2/12/17 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bumping this as really keen to see the site move forward and really want an upgrade to software. ChrisW what are our options?

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.