Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch slipping?
pekwah1

posted on 16/3/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch slipping?

Hi guys,

I think my clutch is slipping but seems to be doing it in reverse... not reverse gear, I’ll explain!

Instead of the high gears you would expect, ie 4th and 5th slipping when you plant it, mine seems to slip in 1st and 2nd, especially 2nd when alternating hard out of a corner.

I’m assuming it’s the clutch, revs climb but speed doesn’t increase.
It’s a striker with zetec and type 9 and live axle open LSD if that makes a difference...

Anyway, sound like the clutch or could it be something else weird?

Thanks
Andy

motivforz

posted on 16/3/18 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any chance the inside rear wheel is slipping on the road? My old Mk1 Mx5 with an open diff would do this - felt like clutch slip but was just the tyre. Maybe worth sticking a go-pro pointing at the tyre and try to provoke it.
pekwah1

posted on 16/3/18 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don’t think so, for a start they’re r888 and the engine is only 130hp so would take some doing, plus surely I’d hear that and would send the car a bit sideways?
Definitely feels like clutch slip, just weird it’s only apparent in 1st and 2nd

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/3/18 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Does it slip in a straight line is it an open diff or lsd if it’s an open diff and it’s slipping when cornering it could be wheel spin strikers are a great balanced car so it might not go sideways.
CosKev3

posted on 16/3/18 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cable clutch or hydraulic?
pekwah1

posted on 16/3/18 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
It does slip in a straight line, have only really noticed it in 1st pulling away quickly, maybe a little bit in second.
It is an open lsd, even with this I have had the car a little bit sideways from time to time so it definitely slides a bit!

Cable clutch, I’ve easily got a cm or two free play so it’s not over tightened

snapper

posted on 16/3/18 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
We assume clutches slip when in high gear because the engine can’t cause wheels to spin however lower gears are torque multipliers and with sticky tyres instead of wheel spin if your clutch is suspect it’ll slip as it is now the weak point

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcramsay

posted on 16/3/18 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had this exact same issue on my Zero. Which was also a zero coupled up to a type 9. I found it was because I had used a release arm from a V6 type 9 box, for what ever reason they hold the release bearing slightly closer to the diaphragm springs than the normal release arms do. This caused slight pressure on the pressure plate in the resting position and let the clutch slip slightly. Disconnect the clutch cable from the release arm and see if it’s free to move slightly. If it’s tight then that may be your issue.... bit of a long shot but you never know. I only found it out after changing every other clutch related part!
pekwah1

posted on 16/3/18 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I was pulling on the cable and can make the arm rattle so don’t think there’s any tension there.
Maybe it’s as snapper says, I have nice sticky tyres and a torquey engine so just provoking it in the lower gears, I guess I’ll just bite the bullet and pull the engine out

motivforz

posted on 17/3/18 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting to read the issue described above, and as you say with decent tyres it's less likely to be that part slipping and more likely to be further up the drivetrain. Good luck!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.