Board logo

rubber selant ring for In-tank fuel pump
saigonij - 21/2/08 at 01:44 PM

i have a mondeo fuel pump sitting in my ali field tank.

i need to find a rubber gasket seal for it ( the original one will not work as its part of a much bigger mounting ).

i need to find a rubber ring - petrol resistant that is 95mm IO, and 115mm od. ( basically like a very large tap washer ).

OR, i can use some sort of sealant ?

any suggestions?

Hammerhead - 21/2/08 at 01:47 PM

how about cutting a sheet of rubber to shape? I have some thats about 3mm thick if you get stuck.

twybrow - 21/2/08 at 01:49 PM

Rubber is not fuel resistant. It swells up and breaks up. I have used cork floor tiles and it seems to work ok for me.

saigonij - 21/2/08 at 01:53 PM

found some Nitrile rubber, which says...

One new strip of Nitrile rubber 1 meter long x 160mm wide x 1.5mm thick. Excellent for general sealing applications/gasket making etc, as it is resistant to most mineral oils, hydrocarbons, fuels, water and a wide range of chemicals. Temperature range -20°C to +115°C

not bad for £8 inc postage.

BenB - 21/2/08 at 02:03 PM

Some rubber is fuel-proof, some isn't.

The self-sealing rubber fuel tanks used in WW2 relied on this fact. The inner layer was made from fuel-proof rubber, the outer layer was made from rubber which swelled when in contact with petrol. If a bullet pierced the tank the outer layer self-sealed the tank to an extent (obviously not if it was a tracer round ).

westcost1 - 21/2/08 at 02:15 PM

a place near my work makes rubber seals for all sorts of things they have rubber on a big real that is fuel resistant i made some seals for my fuel filler caded up a drawing then traces it onto the rubber then cut it out with scissors and used a hole punch to make the holes for fixing through. company is called des they do nuts and bolts as well in fleet

westcost1 - 21/2/08 at 02:17 PM

http://www.delindustrial.co.uk/

sorry its del this is there web sight nice people will send some out to you for a few £

RazMan - 21/2/08 at 03:03 PM

Why not use petrol proof gasket compound? I used it on my tank sender panel and it hasn't leaked yet.

mookaloid - 21/2/08 at 03:09 PM

Whatever you do don't use silicone gasket......

How do I know this?

well I can tell you that a tiny sliver about the size of a fingernail can swell up enough to completely block your filter, your fuel pump all the pipes etc etc and i's a bu**er to get back out of your tank - err so I've heard