Board logo

Ford Diesel Cambelt
tony9876 - 20/3/06 at 11:34 AM

Does anyone know(pictures would be great) where the blanking plug is situated to set the crank timing on a 98 ford diesel fiesta because I am buggered if I can find it ?

Danozeman - 20/3/06 at 11:46 AM

On the front of the engine towards the bottom of the block behind the alternater.

There should be a hole through the alt/ ps pump mounting bracket. Its a 10mm bolt through there.

I cant remember if u have to take the alt off or not to get to it.

Set the timing hole on the pump to 11 o clock put the timing pin in the block and turn the engine till it cluncks. The hole should be at 12 oclock. Thats it timed.

[Edited on 20/3/06 by Danozeman]

Donners90 - 20/3/06 at 12:43 PM

As Danozeman says, its near the alternator. You'll have to take off the intermediate shaft.... Rescued attachment untitled.JPG
Rescued attachment untitled.JPG

theconrodkid - 20/3/06 at 03:18 PM

usefull tip no 10....put a magnet on yr socket,if you drop the plug you wont get it back....no need to remove alternator if you do it from underneath

tony9876 - 20/3/06 at 03:33 PM

Its on 98 Fiesta and it looks totally differnet from the piccy. The only bolt behind the alternator is a 13mm and about 40 mm long in the centre of the bracket.

[Edited on 20/3/06 by tony9876]

rusty nuts - 20/3/06 at 07:33 PM

You need to look at the front of the alternator mounting , there is a hole about 19mm in dia . No need to remove alternator the bung is hidden inside the alternator mounting.

theconrodkid - 20/3/06 at 07:48 PM

and do it exactly by the book,including loosening the cam /pump gears, warm up/cool down bit,QH do a kit with tensioners that you will need
oh and dont try to remove crank pully,the belt wil slip between the pulley/block if you turn it inside out

[Edited on 20/3/06 by theconrodkid]

tony9876 - 20/3/06 at 08:46 PM

I am going to have another bash tomorrow. Been at it a fortnight now and am soory i started. It takes about 4 hours of stripping before you can get at where you need to and i still cant see the bastard plug.
Thanks for the info lads.