Board logo

FM Transmitter Kit
kitcar007kev - 13/3/07 at 07:30 AM

anybody use a transmitter kit for their MP3?
are they any good?

takumi - 13/3/07 at 07:44 AM

I bought one for a few quid off ebay, they are quite good for the money -if you get a chep one. A neat good solution for car radios without tape to interface with an mp3 player.
I prefer a old fashioned tape adapter > audio quality is much better..

Howlor - 13/3/07 at 08:12 AM

The more you pay the better they seem to be. Look at the reviews on Amazon.

I know my brother has had issues with his as the only available frequency that he could fins without any interference was something like 87.1. Now there is a pirate radio staqtion using this frequency!

Steve

miegru - 13/3/07 at 08:13 AM

And don't use them close to an airport; you go crazy!

RazMan - 13/3/07 at 08:18 AM

I've had one of these for a few years now - I used it in the tin top when I had an ipod and found it very good.
If you fancy trying one out, my one is up for sale (£10 posted) as I've got an MP3 head unit now. Rescued attachment FM Transmitter.jpg
Rescued attachment FM Transmitter.jpg

Humbug - 13/3/07 at 08:48 AM

I got one for about a tenner off ebay for SWMBO. Seems to work OK, though occasionally you get interference when there is a "real" radio station with a close frequency. Does the job, but not as good as a direct link.

In my tintop I have a cassette adaptor, which is OKish, but I would prefer a direct aux in cable like I had in an old Citroen Xantia.. in fact, looking in Halfords, etc., it seems like they are bringing aux in sockets back, after a few years when they weren't available. I've also seen a few which have USB input

pdw709 - 13/3/07 at 10:38 AM

They are not bad, but they are not without their problems. Using it within my local area was fine as I found an empty space in the radio spectrum to tune into. However when going on long journeys (couple of hundred miles) then I found I was having to retune 3 or 4 times which is a bit difficult when you driving along the motorw......er in a layby :-)

In the end I now use a tape head unit, which despite the trailing wire, is as good a quality with less hassle.

Phil