Board logo

Hos much gas to weld a chassis?
rodoe - 13/7/16 at 12:09 AM

The time has come to purchase some mig welding Argon/CO2 mix gas to weld up a chassis and i have the choice between a 'D' size or 'E' size bottle.
From experience is the 'D' size bottle enough or will i need the 'E' size?
Thankyou

hizzi - 13/7/16 at 05:27 AM

d size should be fine i used 1 and a bit bottles of hobby weld and they are about a quarter the fill of a d size

ian locostzx9rc2 - 13/7/16 at 05:28 AM

I don't think anyone can tell you how much gas your need but get the one that's easiest to move about with your mig ( maybe the smaller one ) you can always get it refilled .

Slimy38 - 13/7/16 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
I don't think anyone can tell you how much gas your need but get the one that's easiest to move about with your mig ( maybe the smaller one ) you can always get it refilled .

I would agree with this. A chassis is fairly easy to move about and put in a good position for welding, but eventually you'll need to move to the weld rather than the other way round. The bigger bottles are pretty much static, or at least I wouldn't want to try and manoeuvre them very much!

I'm on my third refill of the hobby weld bottle, that's for the chassis, wishbones, and a few other bits and bobs. I'd say half of the first bottle was me just remembering how to weld.

rodoe - 13/7/16 at 12:57 PM

Thanks guys, D size it is. Found a great deal on them too.