Board logo

Help on an insuance claim please
JoelP - 30/11/17 at 08:11 PM

So some guy bent my bumper mildly. His insurance company estimated a repair, and the price they quoted clearly didn't include a new bumper. Am I being unreasonable to not want a load of filler sticking in? They offered a derisory £400 cash in lieu to sort it myself. Its a BMW 645, so the bumper would be significantly more than that. I've got the choice of getting my insurance to fix it and send them the bill, fix it myself and sue them, or negotiate a settlement.

Thoughts? Cheers.

02GF74 - 30/11/17 at 08:16 PM

I did that.

I don't believe you have to claim but can get it repaired and present the bill to the other party's insurance.

cliftyhanger - 30/11/17 at 08:30 PM

I had a neighbour reverse into our car (when parked) a while ago.
They were very apologetic etc, and their insurance company was helpful too.

I got 2 quotes (both about £800+VAT) which was for a new windg, spray etc. Sounded a lot to me. But I would get a few quotes, plus allow for a courtsey car and so on. Then speak to them.

In the end I settled for £800 direct transfer into my account. Then spent £75 on a wing in the correct colour off ebay, and bunged a mate £50 to fit it. Then traded the car in...the rest of the money helped offset the extra insurance I am having to pay!

coyoteboy - 30/11/17 at 08:31 PM

Its your car their member has damaged, it's entirely their fault.

Get your own estimate from a dealer and present them with it. Do NOT give up, do not negotiate. You will win eventually, they end up not wanting to waste time. They've already admitted liability, now they need to be presented with a bill and given no choice.

[Edited on 30/11/17 by coyoteboy]

joneh - 30/11/17 at 09:53 PM

Why can't you just phone your insurance company and get them to sort it? Sounds like the third party has admitted fault. You shouldn't need to deal with this, that's why you pay for insurance.

Worse case tell the TP insurance company that that's what you'll do. By the time costs, hire care etc it'll be well north of £400.

steve m - 30/11/17 at 10:01 PM

Contact Easi drive, they will whisk your car away, to be repaired properly, and in the mean time give you a better car to drive
probably a 7 series

ive been dealing with this company for about 8 months now

steve

pekwah1 - 1/12/17 at 10:56 AM

i had someone drive into the back of me quite recently. My insurance company straight away referred it to a claims management repair company thing who gave me a brand new equivelant car to drive, and sent mine in for repair, my bumper was replaced for new (i discussed this with the repair shop suggesting i would prefer that). My insurance etc basically gave me the view that the 3rd party would be paying so cost was not a consideration.

ReMan - 1/12/17 at 10:12 PM

from experience claims management companys vary, beware